Please give me your ideas on my first revolver...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    If it's for concealed carry then a S&W 642 would be my choice. If not, then a k frame S&W, like the model 19 or 66 would be a good choice with a 4" barrel. Short barreled, double-action only revolvers take a lot of practice to become proficient. I disagree that shooting .357 magnums in a S&W model 60 "will tear up the gun and your hand". I have a S&W model 60-10 with 3" barrel. It withstands .357 mag ammo just fine and my hand is just fine after firing many rounds of mags in it. It is one of my favorite all around revolvers.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Had a post earlier on what handgun was next...

Revolver came up...

Like the SW637-2 due to it being 15 ounces and concealability.

What is YOUR favorite revolver...why, and which one do you want to buy next?

Can I see pics?

Budget is 750 +/-

My favorite revolver is a 625....and a 686.....and a 617....and a:D I can't pick just one.

I'm hoping for my next one to be a 327/TR8. Those are just too cool. But, it'll probably be another 625 because I shoot them in competition and like to have a back up....or 3:laugh:

westside bengal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    I have been trying to find my first revolver. I sort of had my heart set on a Smith Model 64 or 67 since I figured I would only shoot 38's. I really haven't found what I wanted. But maybe a Model 66 would be a better option so I could shoot some 357's if wanted/needed.

What is the real story about not shooting too many 357's in the 66?

Juris gunner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    Smith and Wesson 686.. you can't go wrong with this gun..I have it in 4", Pre-Dash...Birthday gift from the girlfriend two years ago...I love it..

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I have been trying to find my first revolver. I sort of had my heart set on a Smith Model 64 or 67 since I figured I would only shoot 38's. I really haven't found what I wanted. But maybe a Model 66 would be a better option so I could shoot some 357's if wanted/needed.

What is the real story about not shooting too many 357's in the 66?
    The story is that just before police departments went to autos, there was a trend to qualify with the same ammo that the officer carried. Before then, officers would routinely shoot .38 special loads to practice and qualify. The 66's (K frame) wouldn't take the regular pounding of full house magnum loads as a steady diet, nor would the model 19, etc. S&W decided to beef up their police revolver with the 686 (L frame). The later model 686's hold up to a steady diet of magnums. That being said, I have owned and shot model 66's, one especially (a 4" model). I have shot literally thousands of rounds through it, admittedly mostly target .38 special loads, but also a significant amount of .38 spl high velocity loads and .357 mag. The only thing I ever had done to the revolver was to get a new "hand" to correct timing of the cylinder. This is a pretty simple fix. IMHO, the model 66 is a handier revolver and better balanced than the 686 for someone with medium hands, but then again, the 686 is a fine gun.

Spector188

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    NWI
    just picked up a S&W 686 4" and it shoots like butter! this revolver is the smoothest and most accurate revolver I have. I have not carried it though so I don't know how that would work out.

Enthusiast

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    For a 1st revolver? So many variables such as philosphy of use, available cash, etc. I've read some posts that trash the Taurus line up, but I've grown fond of my model 65 Taurus with a 4" barrel. Though nothing fancy, it is fun and accurate to shoot, feels good in my hand, and didn't break the Bank to acquire.
    I don't carry it as my primary weapon but she sure is fun!

Six Forty-Two

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    W. Lafayette
    Buy used. I had heard over and over that Smiths will outlast your lifetime. I even bought a Model 10 that was 40 years old and still keep it strategically located for home defense. For $750, you could probably find a used Model 10 AND a 642.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I second the 3 or 4 inch barrel, choose your manufacturer. I love Smith and Ruger. Unlike some, I don't have any aversion to Taurus. In fact, I really like the styling on some of the Rossis.

If you'd like a little heavier frame, and don't mind the extra weight when carrying, I'd suggest a 686 or a GP100, or maybe a SP101 for something a little smaller. Comparable to Smith's J frames.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    just picked up a S&W 686 4" and it shoots like butter! this revolver is the smoothest and most accurate revolver I have. I have not carried it though so I don't know how that would work out.

I've carried my 4" 686 while hunting. Carried it in an IWB cheap Uncle Mike's tuckable holster. It wasn't bad at all. Fairly comfortable and the weight didn't wasn't noticeable.

Top Bottom