• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    In my quest for a bolt action .308 I happened across a Savage Hog Hunter. The name reminds me of a guy I knew in the army, Releford, who's dates usually had to walk sideways on the barrack's stairs, but I digress....:D

I'm really starting to like Savage. The accu-trigger felt really nice and the bolt handle was over-sized and felt intuitive to work. The bolt worked really smoothly and easily.

I didn't get to shoot it (seeing as how I was just playing with it inside the gun shop), but it shoulders and acquires very quickly thanks to the iron sights. I imagine you'd end up scoping it, but the irons are more than just a "he'll scope it, put some crap on there so we can say it has irons" irons. I can see where for fairly close range hunting they would be ideal.

The barrel is a medium profile and seems to swing smoothly and, again, shoulder smoothly. The stock felt good, although being a green plastic its not going to win any beauty contests (like Releford's dates....but I digress again). Its a 20" length and is threaded. I assume some states must let you use a suppressor for hunting hogs, but I looked at the cost of a .308 suppressor and OUCH, WALLET CRAMP...

The shop had it priced at aout $440. It seems like a nice rifle for the cost. I don't know if I'll end up with that or another flavor of the Savage Model 11, but I'm getting closer and closer to picking one up.

(Releford, if you happen across this, remember Big Red? The one that you couldn't walk side by side with down the hall way? :D)

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Thanks for the 411. Lately the Savage Hog Hunter has perked my interest!!
    Looking at both the 223 & 308-need to find one just to get my hands on it and feel it out. Hopefully I can find one locally to play with, otherwise thank you!:D

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    For hogs, I have my Remy 700 BDL in 30-06. Or my 458 Socom. But for longer range, probably would use a 06 instead. Under 100 yards, then the socom.

Top Bottom