• ...and so much more!
  • Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    144   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    Hat handguns are better suppressor host? I ask because my LGS took me out yesterday to look at the Dead Air Mojave 9. Nice suppressor but he rolled it onto a Glock 19 and that wasn’t impressive. Looked/felt like the pistol was overworking itself trying to run. Thanks!!

profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I actually have a Mojave 9 that I ran on a Glock 19 a couple of weeks ago. Ran just fine for me, but was sparking like crazy, which was annoying.

Now running on my SP5… the Mojave was awesome. Not sure it’s ever going to leave that barrel!

I am just not a huge fan of suppressors on handguns in general, I think. Just feels clumsy and I’m usually underwhelmed by suppression versus a PDW or SMG type gun.

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Hat handguns are better suppressor host? I ask because my LGS took me out yesterday to look at the Dead Air Mojave 9. Nice suppressor but he rolled it onto a Glock 19 and that wasn’t impressive. Looked/felt like the pistol was overworking itself trying to run. Thanks!!

The Mojave has two configurations, maybe the shorter would have been better on the 4” barrel?

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    What do you mean by overworking itself? Beating itself to death or not cycling properly?

This is a difficult question to answer without lots of info. Recoil spring weight, ammunition, are just two of the things that play major rolls in how reliable things can be with suppressed firearms. In my experience, fixed barrel handguns run the most reliably without any need for modification but they are the least seen hosts. As handguns are recoil operated, the discussion for backpressure isn't warranted here. What is, is the fact that suppressors rob you of some of the needed recoil for your firearm to function properly. Addressing why and how much recoil is lost will help determine how to fix it. Assuming the gun ran fine before the addition of the suppressor. Here are just a couple things to consider.

Ammo: If the ammo isn't "hot" enough, your gun wont function. Solution, get "hotter" ammo or drop the recoil spring weight.

Lubrication: If the gun isn't clean or properly lubed, the amount of friction present upon moving parts will be greater than the amount of energy available to move them. Combined with the spring weight, this may be a cause for reliability issues.

Neilson Device/Booster: Make sure it's clean an lubed.

The physics is most often forgotten when it comes to suppressors. In general, you are adding something that is 5-8 inches long and about 6-14 ounces in weight onto the end of a barrel of a system that was most likely NOT DESIGNED to function as such. By adding a suppressor your are in turn increasing the amount of energy needed to unlock the pistols mechanism, and this is even before the energy of the recoil spring comes into play. This is not a simple topic to cover and I could go on and on about it. I hope the little bit of info I've offered has been helpful.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    What do you mean by overworking itself? Beating itself to death or not cycling properly?

This is a difficult question to answer without lots of info. Recoil spring weight, ammunition, are just two of the things that play major rolls in how reliable things can be with suppressed firearms. In my experience, fixed barrel handguns run the most reliably without any need for modification but they are the least seen hosts. As handguns are recoil operated, the discussion for backpressure isn't warranted here. What is, is the fact that suppressors rob you of some of the needed recoil for your firearm to function properly. Addressing why and how much recoil is lost will help determine how to fix it. Assuming the gun ran fine before the addition of the suppressor. Here are just a couple things to consider.

Ammo: If the ammo isn't "hot" enough, your gun wont function. Solution, get "hotter" ammo or drop the recoil spring weight.

Lubrication: If the gun isn't clean or properly lubed, the amount of friction present upon moving parts will be greater than the amount of energy available to move them. Combined with the spring weight, this may be a cause for reliability issues.

The physics is most often forgotten when it comes to suppressors. In general, you are adding something that is 5-8 inches long and about 6-14 ounces in weight onto the end of a barrel of a system that was most likely NOT DESIGNED to function as such. By adding a suppressor your are in turn increasing the amount of energy needed to unlock the pistols mechanism, and this is even before the energy of the recoil spring comes into play. This is not a simple topic to cover and I could go on and on about it. I hope the little bit of info I've offered has been helpful.
    Wait, you have to lube a glock? I thought they were meant to squeek when the slide was worked?

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Wait, you have to lube a glock? I thought they were meant to squeek when the slide was worked?
    lol, this is a discussion about suppressed guns! I can give you my thoughts on lubrication and glocks in a different thread if you like!!

My actual duty gun as carried daily. Colorized, 2 minutes ago

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Who's on 1st?

Suppressor host = lube
    No suppressor = Sahara desert dry

When it comes to ammo, in my experience, most 115gr and 124gr seem to always work with OEM guns

147gr starts to be hit or miss

150gr+ seems to only function with guns that have been "tuned"
    Lol. I'm just busting your balls, I'm old enough that my first can had swipes in it.

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    144   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana

Hello, thanks for your reply. The Glock sounded like it was beating itself to death.

wildcatfan

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 18, 2021
    Muncie
    Other than 22 and maybe 45 suppressed handguns are not great in my experience. I thought I'd like them more but the only ones that get used much are the 22's.

Top Bottom