• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Django

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2009
    New Haven
    Was originally going to post in General firearms.. then I got sidetracked.
    This thread is not meant to incite flamewars, it is for entertainment/informational purposes only. Read at your own risk.

My problem with polymer frames (beyond irrational belief that they will fail catastrophically or get chewed up by dogs) and some smaller autos is that I forget they're there.
    In the past I've carried some small caliber autos and recently tried carrying some poly guns only to think "I should grab a gun" when I'm already wearing one.
    Compared to the weight of a two pound 45 they're nonexistent. Can you carry a non-gun? :n00b:
    If thrown when they run out of bullets/fail will they even hurt?
    When the tree falls in a forest, will the other trees laugh?
    Evil lumberjack (though he's OK. Sleeps all night, works all day (but that's another story altogether))

1AM and I am dead in the brain
    Ignore, incinerate, move, trash, whatever :D

Down to it; beyond training, if there's no weight there to remind you that you're carrying something heavier than a pocketknife, wallet, cellphone, or whatever... what's to keep you from forgetting you have one should you eventually need it?
    (for the record, I usually end up heading out the door with a combat commander or similar)

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    the best gun to carry is one that you will carry every single day.

carry an extra loaded mag if you need to feel the weight of your heavy favorite carry gun

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Ive carried a S&W 5906 (as big and heavy as 9mm handguns come) and cant really see the weight issue with plastic guns. I guess im used to hauling a tool-belt or weedwacker around for hours a day so it doesn't bother me, but weight isnt the issue, its size and trying to conceal it. Right now im toting around a S&W model 10 with 4 inch barrel and loving it. Probably going to start carrying a M&P 9mm though once I get it.

originalhonkey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    greenwood
    i can see were your at in your thoughts. but in my case i carry all day every day. i work in alot of bad areas so my gun gets put on in the morning and stays until im home to stay.so the weight is a good thing. have to say i havnt had any problems with the function and because of the areas i work in it never slips my mind it not there. i love my 1911 and other steel frame guns but my plastic ones are great guns as well and serve me very well on a daily basis. i dont know what guns you have tried but here some that i have and have had no fails out of!

glock 19 9mm
    taurus pt145 45
    taurus pt111 9mm
    keltec p3at 380

have to say the keltec's can be a pain until you pump 150 to 200 out of them but then at least in my case there good to go:ar15:

sory for the spelling its early and ive had no coffeeeeeeeeeeee

Django

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2009
    New Haven
    Beyond followup shot placement weight gives a firearm a sense of presence.
    I guess I feel more comfortable with the absolute knowledge that it is there (weight against hip) and with care, something able to function like a tack driver isn't likely to fail.
    Sure, many polymer guns meet the second condition, but I have yet to hold one which feels right to me (aesthetics, ergonomics)
    BUT
    That is all aside from my point :D
    What's to keep you from forgetting it's there if the weight is negligible/you can't feel the press?
    Mental reminders? Did I remember to shut the windows, did I remember to turn off the oven, did I remember to grab a gun?
    Morning ablutions follow the same routine every day so it is unlikely I would ever forget to actually inspect and holster one... but I once forgot where my keys were while I was holding them (early onset Alzheimer's? :n00b:).
    Forbid that you should walk into a place that bans firearms without even thinking, etc.
    String around your finger, string around your waist. never forget :)
    Not trying to bash plastic guns; trying to understand the mindset, or figure out some technique to overcome forgetfulness.
    With a steel frame you don't have to remember, it's just there.

cbop

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Winamac
    It is not the weight on your hip you will notice but the weight in your mind. I am not talking about the physical weight but knowing "some thing's not right..." For example, for work, I carry a little pocket screwdriver, miraculous little device. Despite the warnings long worn off of it, it can be used as a chisel or prybar, although a very small chisel or prybar. It is the perfect tool for every job when that is the only tool handy. It disconnects connectors, reconnects them, I have used 2 together as jumper wires. It reaches places I can't or shouldn't. I have adjusted carburetors, computers and a few layers of skin with it before. It is a whole Snap-On tool truck when it is all you have after you have crawled up underneath a dashboard and do not want to crawl back out to fetch a proper tool. Every day, it leaves the house with me and while it weighs next to nothing, I know immediately if it is not in my pocket. While I always try to have a gun nearby, if not, I know I can take on the world with this little screwdriver. It has weight far beyond it's physical weight and my mind knows if it is missing. Now, if only I could remember to wear pants.......:):

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    It is not the weight on your hip you will notice but the weight in your mind. I am not talking about the physical weight but knowing "some thing's not right..." For example, for work, I carry a little pocket screwdriver, miraculous little device. Despite the warnings long worn off of it, it can be used as a chisel or prybar, although a very small chisel or prybar. It is the perfect tool for every job when that is the only tool handy. It disconnects connectors, reconnects them, I have used 2 together as jumper wires. It reaches places I can't or shouldn't. I have adjusted carburetors, computers and a few layers of skin with it before. It is a whole Snap-On tool truck when it is all you have after you have crawled up underneath a dashboard and do not want to crawl back out to fetch a proper tool. Every day, it leaves the house with me and while it weighs next to nothing, I know immediately if it is not in my pocket. While I always try to have a gun nearby, if not, I know I can take on the world with this little screwdriver. It has weight far beyond it's physical weight and my mind knows if it is missing. Now, if only I could remember to wear pants.......:):

I know of what you speak!

I have SEVERAL little "miracle tools" in my tool box, and more than one "perfect" carry piece, for me at least.

I ALWAYS know if I'm carrying or not :rolleyes:, even though I do carry a few different "plastic guns", as well as a couple of "Ultra-Lite" models.

Mental discipline is paramount when concerning firearms.
    Wearing pants...:dunno:

Django

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2009
    New Haven
    Pants = optional :D
    Agree 100%
    I ALWAYS know if I'm carrying or not :rolleyes:
    Been wearing the same belt since the mid nineties. It takes a significant amount of weight to distort it. I find heavier arms press/pull just enough to be noticed whereas I don't feel lighter ones at all after a period of adjustment.
    While I agree Mental discipline is important, physical reminders also rank up there, otherwise no one would go to church. They wouldn't need it.

Again, that's completely aside from the point.
    HOW (as in what methods and/or techniques) do you keep something fresh in your mind?
    I use weight/press/feel as a means to keep something humming just above subconsciousness, but when that is not available what would you do?
    Routine and training make up for a lot, but they are not everything.
    It would be worse if routine broke and you forgot to holster something but didn't notice as you've gotten used to not feeling it and something happens.
    All the firearms training in the world wouldn't help if you didn't have a gun.

(trying to break myself of old habits/build new as more and more of what I see out there is polymer)

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I ALWAYS know if I'm carrying or not :rolleyes:, even though I do carry a few different "plastic guns", as well as a couple of "Ultra-Lite" models.

Wearing pants...:dunno:

:+1:

If you don't know or remember if you have or don't have that firearm on your hip, you need to have more metal awareness of what is going on.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Just keep strapping on plastic guns until their combined weight becomes noticable for you.

Even if that means you end up with 3 or 4 pistols on your person, you will still likely be less armed than rhino (who will also have no less than 4 knives, 5 flashlights and 12 magazines on his person at any given time.);)

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    In most situations it is the shooter, not the gun. That applies here.

You are conditioned to a different gun, wear it at home on weekends or get rid of it.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I carry an Xd .40 service model. Fully loaded, I know it's there. How could I forget the buldge on the right side? I mean unless you are carrying a wee little baby gun, how could honestly forget it's there. Also to throw your gun, when it's empty? Yes a full sized pistol, rather polymer or steel would hurt. Not that I would ever throw my gun at anyone, or anything.

FriedChicken

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    I've never even thought of this ever being an issue. But I'm 5' 9'' and 150 pounds ... if I have anything tucked in my waistline I know its there. Lighter/smaller the better.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Compared to the weight of a two pound 45 they're nonexistent.

After some thought on this, most med sized polymer guns are maybe in the 27 to 30 ounce range, some a little lighter/heavier.

My Springfield 1911A1 weighs in at 36 ounces, and my PT940 which is my everyday carry is 28.

Mere 6-9 ounce difference, not a big difference by far, now for the bigger issue, if you walk out the and don't realize that you do or do not have it on your hip, maybe it's time to talk to the doctor about that ADD problem you have!:D :laugh:

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My XDm .40 weighs 32oz. with empty mag.
    An M1911 weighs 39 oz. with empty mag.

I'm willing to bet that 17 rounds of .40 S&W weigh at least 7oz. more than 8 rounds of .45 ACP

So, what was your argument again? Are you complaining that these newfangled bakelite thingamajigs carry too many rounds or are too easy to maintain? Are you worried about the presence of drop safeties or the absence of exposed hammers? Maybe you dislike corrosion resistance?

I'm confused...

RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    Well the only time I am really glad for the weight is if I have it my briefcase or a bag that I am carrying with me. There are a couple times I almost walked into a courthouse or post office and the swing reminded me.

Of course I prefer exposed hammers and like the long term endurance of steel (long term as in time). The thought of having something like a c96 that could still be taken out today and shot appeals to me.

I do like a bit of weight though to keep my aim steady. But I say fire what feels best personally.

Top Bottom