• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Anonymous

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Noblesville
    That's like saying that a Mustang Cobra isn't a Mustang because of the Cobra package.

Not to be confused with "It's not a Mustang if it's only got one pipe out the back":):

On a side note, I have learned a lot from this thread, Thank you! I do not run my LCD CCFL;) in 120hz, because I do not like the image, although it is smooth. However I have not really noticed motion artifacts at least in HD. I'm not saying they are not there, just haven't noticed them.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Unfortunate side effect of marketing. In order to differentiate LED-lit LCDs from CCFL-lit LCDs, manufacturers seemed to have dropped the "LCD" tag from the LED sets. I guess it might be hard to convince Joe six-pack that one LCD tv is really better than another.

Sad but true but I believe that if retailers were required to maintain their "display media" at a professional level, then the technology would sell itself with much less marketing propaganda.

Not to be confused with "It's not a Mustang if it's only got one pipe out the back":):

On a side note, I have learned a lot from this thread, Thank you! I do not run my LCD CCFL;) in 120hz, because I do not like the image, although it is smooth. However I have not really noticed motion artifacts at least in HD. I'm not saying they are not there, just haven't noticed them.

Just so you know, I don't believe there is a way to manually tune your 120Hz TV down to 60Hz, however if it has "TrueMotion" (LG), "Automotion Plus" (Samsung) or any of the other "image accelerators" that can be toggled, that's actually just software that runs on the TV and not the actual refresh rate of the hardware.

Anonymous

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Noblesville
    Just so you know, I don't believe there is a way to manually tune your 120Hz TV down to 60Hz, however if it has "TrueMotion" (LG), "Automotion Plus" (Samsung) or any of the other "image accelerators" that can be toggled, that's actually just software that runs on the TV and not the actual refresh rate of the hardware.

I understand now. I was thinking that "Cinemotion" or whatever it is for Vizio, was 120, and "off" was 60. Thanks.

On a side note, I remember having to turn off enhanced motion, when playing back from a DVR, or the picture would skip. This was with Uverse, and I have since moved and have not experimented with Comcast. Anyone else experience this?

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    I understand now. I was thinking that "Cinemotion" or whatever it is for Vizio, was 120, and "off" was 60. Thanks.

On a side note, I remember having to turn off enhanced motion, when playing back from a DVR, or the picture would skip. This was with Uverse, and I have since moved and have not experimented with Comcast. Anyone else experience this?

I have done just about everything you can do to just about every comcast product there is. I've had every service they offer (except some of the subscription VOD stuff like Playboy, Howard Stern and the international stuff) and I've played it just about every way possible so fire away with any question you might have. (Might want to start a new thread like *HDTV Questions* or something like that) :hijack:

Noland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Elkhart Co.
    I won't get involved in the debates here, but I got a Sony Bravia LCD last week and am watching the Cotton Bowl now. Wow. HD on a big screen is so awesome.

The TV I just replaced was an old 27" crt and I would have junked that pos years ago if I only knew.

This is the first game I have watched in HD. I am having eyegasms.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I won't get involved in the debates here, but I got a Sony Bravia LCD last week and am watching the Cotton Bowl now. Wow. HD on a big screen is so awesome.

The TV I just replaced was an old 27" crt and I would have junked that pos years ago if I only knew.

This is the first game I have watched in HD. I am having eyegasms.

Think you're having a eyegasm right now, wait till you watch a Blu-Ray with it. My old HDTV was a Mitsubishi Monitor and only supported 1080i, so when I got an overhead projector that supported 1080p I was thrilled at the image, but it's pale in comparison to the 1080p image I get on my 60inch LG plasma.

Sunday I'm going to start watching my Christmas present, "The Pacific" in Blu-Ray and I'm gonna be glued to my recliner!

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Think you're having a eyegasm right now, wait till you watch a Blu-Ray with it. My old HDTV was a Mitsubishi Monitor and only supported 1080i, so when I got an overhead projector that supported 1080p I was thrilled at the image, but it's pale in comparison to the 1080p image I get on my 60inch LG plasma.

Sunday I'm going to start watching my Christmas present, "The Pacific" in Blu-Ray and I'm gonna be glued to my recliner!

Great to see you IBM!!!

I'm down in the man cave watching some 100 inch 1080p HD right now!

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le

yeah I'm so spoiled from watching reference grade bd's in 1080p that anything less looks like poo. You see avatar, toy story 3, or thin red line yet? They will blow your mind visually.

Great to see you IBM!!!

I'm down in the man cave watching some 100 inch 1080p HD right now!

2.2:1,2.35:1 or 16*9 aspect ratio?

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    yeah I'm so spoiled from watching reference grade bd's in 1080p that anything less looks like poo. You see avatar, toy story 3, or thin red line yet? They will blow your mind visually.

2.2:1,2.35:1 or 16*9 aspect ratio?

I have Avatar, not seen TS3 yet, Thin Red Line will not be as good as it should be because it was not originally shot in HD (1998), it has been reformatted.

You need to see both Transformer movies and the latest Star Trek. They really show the brilliance of Blu-Ray.

I think Bigum's projector is a 16-9 aspect ratio, my Optoma can go either 16-9 or 16-10. I've had my projector for 5 years and when I got it, the HD6800 (rebadged HD-72) was the really first 1900x1200 native projector under 3000.00. I got my @ Fry's for 1499.00 with a 400.00 rebate for a final cost of 1099.00.

I just wish they would start broadcasting in 1080p, because 1080i is really just 720p that's interlaced. So watching regular TV you can get by with 720p.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    I went from a 60" DLP tv to this....

Toshiba 55HT1U - 55" class 1080p 120Hz LCD TV | LCD TVs | Televisions | us.Toshiba.com

and absolutely love it.

I do see what people are talking about with the "clearframe" or "tru-motion" 120 Hz looking odd at first. I watched a couple movies and now I love it. I think it makes it look more life-like.

Avatar, Toy Story 3, Revenge of the Fallen, and The Dark Knight all look phenomenal on this TV.

The deciding factor for me was the price. I purchased that TV for $899 and I cant complain a lick about it.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Yeah my 120hz has that same look. I called it the HD Camcorder look, took a couple movies to get used to it.

Haha, that's actually a really good way of putting it. It took more than a couple movies for me, but now I only notice it when I'm NOT watching a movie in true motion...It's just not the same without it anymore.

Toshiba 55HT1U - 55" class 1080p 120Hz LCD TV | LCD TVs | Televisions | us.Toshiba.com

and absolutely love it.

I do see what people are talking about with the "clearframe" or "tru-motion" 120 Hz looking odd at first. I watched a couple movies and now I love it. I think it makes it look more life-like.

Avatar, Toy Story 3, Revenge of the Fallen, and The Dark Knight all look phenomenal on this TV.

The deciding factor for me was the price. I purchased that TV for $899 and I cant complain a lick about it.

Damn, where did you find a 55" 12hz LCD for that price? Toshibas don't exactly have the best reviews, but 900 bucks seems like a steal!

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Best buys black friday deals. And the weirdest part was I didnt get off work until 6am that morning, didnt get to best buy until 7am. They still had the Tvs and I was in and out in under 30 minutes.

And I researched it online before Buying it. I know what you mean about Toshibas reviews, but every website I could find that TV on had reviews between 4.5-5 out of 5 so I went for it

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    I have Avatar, not seen TS3 yet, Thin Red Line will not be as good as it should be because it was not originally shot in HD (1998), it has been reformatted.

You need to see both Transformer movies and the latest Star Trek. They really show the brilliance of Blu-Ray.

I think Bigum's projector is a 16-9 aspect ratio, my Optoma can go either 16-9 or 16-10. I've had my projector for 5 years and when I got it, the HD6800 (rebadged HD-72) was the really first 1900x1200 native projector under 3000.00. I got my @ Fry's for 1499.00 with a 400.00 rebate for a final cost of 1099.00.

I just wish they would start broadcasting in 1080p, because 1080i is really just 720p that's interlaced. So watching regular TV you can get by with 720p.

Yeah, only one of those BD's I haven't watched is the new Star Trek. I'd like to get around to that, I just haven't had time.

About broadcasting in 1080p, it's going to be a while. Most transport/distribution gear that telecom and tv stations bought a while back to do HD with won't stream 1080p (MPEG4). In addition, few STBs will actually decode MPEG4.

It's a VERY large financial investment by all these companies to accommodate a relatively small niche of consumers unfortunately. I'd LOVE to be able to get full time 1080p but without running everything through line doublers and upscalers (which is very hard and expensive to do "real time) I think we're out of luck for now.

I've been poking around the internet for a way to do this on "in the clear" HD channels on my HT PC since you can do it with DVD's using ffdshow, I figure you should be able to do it with a QAM tuner card on live tv, maybe with a slight (500-1000ms delay) (Like the superbowl... I wouldn't mind being the only one of my friends watching the superbowl in real time 1080p....:D).

and absolutely love it.

Wow... was that a black friday deal somewhere?

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Best buys black friday deals. And the weirdest part was I didnt get off work until 6am that morning, didnt get to best buy until 7am. They still had the Tvs and I was in and out in under 30 minutes.

And I researched it online before Buying it. I know what you mean about Toshibas reviews, but every website I could find that TV on had reviews between 4.5-5 out of 5 so I went for it

Then nice find!:yesway:

AppleBonker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    Valpo

Personally, I find this statement ludicrous. How is it more life-like if you have to get used to it? I don't need to get used to what it looks like outside. I could probably get used to all of my food tasting like nothing, but why would I want to?

Haha, that's actually a really good way of putting it. It took more than a couple movies for me, but now I only notice it when I'm NOT watching a movie in true motion...It's just not the same without it anymore.

The 120/240Hz artifacts during films is more commonly referred to as "Soap Opera Effect". Maybe it's just my eyes, but I can't stand watching movies like this. It almost makes me feel nauseous. Anyway, for a decent read (from a great site, btw) on this topic, check out:

A Solution to the Dreaded Soap Opera Effect?

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    I want to bump this thread. I posted earlier that I recommended plasma. I bought a 50" LG plasma almost exactly a year ago in September. A couple months later the screen had a horizontal line. It was replaced under warranty. Just over a year after purchasing the tv(purchased sept 11) I came home today and there is a two inch thick vertical line distortion sometimes solid black or white going through the tv. This is the second time this thing has screwed up. I paid over one thousand dollars for this set and luckily I purchased the five year warranty. Hopefully the company its through will cover it but Ive got to say two repairs in just one year is pretty sad for the price. Im not impressed at all.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy

found yer problem.
    id love to think lg was a solid brand, but i think they haven't quite perfected their products yet. When i delivered for lowe's we had quite a few issues with their appliances having to be returned or worked on.

I bought a 42" Samsung around Christmas time and have not had a single issue with it at all.

That's just my :twocents:

Top Bottom