• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jvanvorst

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    did anyone see the "news" story today about the supposed increase in the number of people trying to get guns onto airplanes? I saw it on Fox News and they interviewed the fomer head of TSA talking about the number of evil people trying to sneak guns on planes is increasing.

funny timing on this right after the House passed the national carry bill. News media propoganda machine.

JVV

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    I caught that story and I thought it was pretty odd. They made it sound like new news, but any time I've been to the airport in the past year there are signs about how many "artfully concealed" weapons and firearms they have found in the last week. The numbers seem to be pretty consistent.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I personally believe that all ltch holders should be allowed to carry in schools, on river boats and on airplanes. :owever only with frangable ammo on planes.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    People going on hunting trips, as well as Competition Trap, skeet and sporting clays shooters routinely take their guns as they fly around to the different events. They try to protect their guns physically with high quality gun cases and do everythying legally (AND PAY BIG MONEY FOR THE EXTRA SHIPPING!) I have been through this myself. Because of the inept management and uncooperative agents of the Federal Security, it is almost impossible to get the stuff checked through the first time, it is always a hassle. You can down load all the information off the TSA website at 8:00 AM. pack everything up EXACTLY like the rules say, get to the airport and the TSA people will say it's wrong. Then you fool around and wait for another agent who says the problem you were bumped for is not wrong, but you need to do something else. Some agents only want TSA approved locks, some only want personal keyed locks, it is always something. You can actually miss your flight while being detained by the security idiots and it is just too bad if it costs you more money or have to wait until tomorrow for another flight.

One horror story was where the man went through all the hoops to correctly take his rifle to a hunt in south America. When he got off the plane, his rifle was not with the luggage. Hours later they found it in Atlanta, Georgia. Since the gun got there with no passenger, the TSA people pryed the latches off with a crow bar to "inspect" the unclaimed gun. The airline would now not ship the gun because it was no longer in a regulation case. The man had to fly back to Atlanta, where I overnight air shipped him another safari rated gun case, and wait another day to get to his hunt. (and people think they want government healthcare)

I wonder if these supposed "Gun Smugglers" in the original report are really legitimate people who are trying to do things right, but are bumped by bumbling TSA Agents.

I gave up on the airlines and TSA being able to do their job right. If I fly out for a shoot, I find a friend in the same area, and overnight air my gun to myself, in care of my friends address, with adult signature required.

Top Bottom