• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cak387

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2010
    Kokomo
    In June, my girlfriend's family and I always head up to the Dunes State Park and stay a week. I have been trying to do as much research as I can, but am still lost on carrying a gun into a state park. I know the law has recently changed and I have used the search feature to find a couple of good threads, but could someone help me with what all needs to be done? I do have my lifetime LTCH, but is their anything else I need to do while carrying in the park? Does it need to be unloaded at all times? Kept in case? I would just leave it at home, but 1). We aren't always in the park so I will carry when we leave and go to into town and 2). I would be lost without carrying. I feel "naked" if I don't carry and the only places I don't are the post office and on campus.

Also, I have heard that certain counties near Chicago don't allow CC. Is this true? We do plan on going over to Chicago for a day, and I know that it is illegal to carry a gun in Chicago.

If someone could just brief me on these questions, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,

Carl.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    In June, my girlfriend's family and I always head up to the Dunes State Park and stay a week. I have been trying to do as much research as I can, but am still lost on carrying a gun into a state park. I know the law has recently changed and I have used the search feature to find a couple of good threads, but could someone help me with what all needs to be done? I do have my lifetime LTCH, but is their anything else I need to do while carrying in the park? Does it need to be unloaded at all times? Kept in case? I would just leave it at home, but 1). We aren't always in the park so I will carry when we leave and go to into town and 2). I would be lost without carrying. I feel "naked" if I don't carry and the only places I don't are the post office and on campus.

Also, I have heard that certain counties near Chicago don't allow CC. Is this true? We do plan on going over to Chicago for a day, and I know that it is illegal to carry a gun in Chicago.

If someone could just brief me on these questions, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,

Carl.

#1, you really should look up and read for yourself the Indiana Code...

#2, With your Indiana LTCH, you may carry your handgun in ANY county in Indiana.

#3, With the exception of Army Corps of Engineers-owned state parks (typically, those with reservoirs), carry in Indiana State Parks is legal. What changed a few years ago was that fmr. IDNR Director Kyle Hupfer rescinded an administrative rule against "carry" in the parks.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    The Indiana Dunes is not a state park. It is a National Lakeshore, and part of the National Parks Service. As such, the prohibition against firearms was lifted last year by the feds. However, you still cannot carry in federal buildings, and there is some discussion that Park Service buildings are still off-limits (visitor centers and such). See this link for more info on firearms:
    Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore - Laws & Policies (U.S. National Park Service)

In short: no need to lock it up, no need to unload, and no need to cover.

There are no counties in Indiana that can legally prohibit carry with a LTCH. There are some LE agencies that appear to be anti-citizen-open-carry, and north-west Indiana seems to be a hot-spot for this. Know your rights and be polite/professional.

Enjoy your visit!

Goosepond Monster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    Ellettsville

#2, With your Indiana LTCH, you may carry your handgun in ANY county in Indiana.

#3, With the exception of Army Corps of Engineers-owned state parks (typically, those with reservoirs), carry in Indiana State Parks is legal. What changed a few years ago was that fmr. IDNR Director Kyle Hupfer rescinded an administrative rule against "carry" in the parks.
    Interesting. I guess that means carrying at Lake Monroe is a no go.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The Indiana Dunes is not a state park. It is a National Lakeshore, and part of the National Parks Service. As such, the prohibition against firearms was lifted last year by the feds. However, you still cannot carry in federal buildings, and there is some discussion that Park Service buildings are still off-limits (visitor centers and such). See this link for more info on firearms:

There are no counties in Indiana that can legally prohibit carry with a LTCH. There are some LE agencies that appear to be anti-citizen-open-carry, and north-west Indiana seems to be a hot-spot for this. Know your rights and be polite/professional.

Enjoy your visit!

Sorry, man, but you're incorrect.

DNR: Indiana Dunes

Indiana Dunes IS a State Park.

There is ALSO the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore.

Interesting. I guess that means carrying at Lake Monroe is a no go.

And Patoka.

Neither, though, are Indiana State Parks; but ARE ACoE properties.

cak387

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2010
    Kokomo

1. I have read the IC numerous times, at least certain sections of it (I actually read it in my spare time with an app on my iPhone lol). The reason I asked the question in the first place was to see if anyone knew from a personal experience whether they let you carry because, like one mentioned, you have both a state park and a national lakeshore, which I didn't know the feds had also lifted the ban.

2. I thought that was the case, but I also read on another forum somewhere on the interwebz that some counties that are close to Chicago were also not allowing CC. I'm glad to know that because we travel quite a bit around NW Indiana when we are up there, and have ended up in some not so nice of places.

3. I read this in another thread here, and found that to be very interesting. We go up to Missinewa every now and then for some skiing, etc. and will need to remember this. I'm going to take it that the water would be off limits, but the surrounding land would be alright?

However, you still cannot carry in federal buildings, and there is some discussion that Park Service buildings are still off-limits (visitor centers and such). See this link for more info on firearms:

Enjoy your visit!

Thanks! We always have a great time up there and would like to get up there more than once a year. Thank you for the link also. I think I will just ask about carrying in the welcome center, etc. Also, I rarely open carry, but I do plan on doing more of it!

Edit: After looking at the link you provided, it does look like they consider certain buildings on the lakeshore to be Federal, however, they say they are clearly marked at ALL public entrances.

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Sorry, man, but you're incorrect.

DNR: Indiana Dunes

Indiana Dunes IS a State Park.

There is ALSO the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore.
    That's what I get for Googling! Never realized there were two parks with almost the same name, in almost the same area, but run by different governments. Learn something every day....

I posted a bunch of info in another ACoE thread. There are maps for each property that show what belongs to ACoE, and where the boundaries are. Their side of the line is a no-go, the other side is fine. In almost all cases, they control quite a bit of the shoreline for some distance away from the water. Too bad this little sub-unit of the .gov doesn't follow the same guidelines as the rest of the .gov.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    That's what I get for Googling! Never realized there were two parks with almost the same name, in almost the same area, but run by different governments. Learn something every day....

I posted a bunch of info in another ACoE thread. There are maps for each property that show what belongs to ACoE, and where the boundaries are. Their side of the line is a no-go, the other side is fine. In almost all cases, they control quite a bit of the shoreline for some distance away from the water. Too bad this little sub-unit of the .gov doesn't follow the same guidelines as the rest of the .gov.

It hasn't been that long since I knew there was a State Park AND a National Park either. No biggie.

And it's the whole "Army" thing that causes the no-go.

Next question: How many county deputies and conservation officers are going to know A) the ACoE exemption, and B) have property maps with them?

cak387

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2010
    Kokomo
    So, I'm going to look like a complete idiot here but I'd like get straight to the point. Am I able to carry at the Dunes, or is it considered off-limits? Thanks!

Yes, you can carry at the Dunes. Just watch out for signs when entering some of the buildings there as the consensus is that they are considered federal buildings and you are not allowed to carry in those.

Top Bottom