• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    A couple of my associates and I will be attending classes at IU in Aug is there someplace to shoot Pistols, Shotguns, and Carbines in the local area?

Thanks!

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Free?

Hoosier National Forest just south east of town.

PM NateIU for directions to a good spot.

Paid?

Martinsville Sportsman's Club just 20 minutes north, but membership only is open in Jan.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    And of course Riley Conservation Club. Riley has a lot of activities: Monthly USPSA, silouette and in a week and a half there will be an Appleseed event (and one in November as well).

There is an LEO range opening not to far out of town and perhaps some day that will also open up for non-LEO's but I would not hold your breath.

Oh, and of course there are private land options. Keep an eye on longbow in the MSG thread as he is likely to run a "BBQ & Shoot" day before long at his farm. We had fun shooting there a couple months back when we did the MSG camping trip.

PsYcHo SqUiRrEl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    Greenetucky
    OMG! You want to shoot those gun thingys in Bloomington?:runaway: That might disturb the sheeple!

Good luck unless you can find someone with some private land out in the country. I wound up going to the Martinsville Conservation Club.

You may want to check but, IIRC, some guys I know used to be members of the Monroe County 4wd Club and used to shoot at their place out by Stinesville. I'm not sure about the membership and such.

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    You can have guns in Bloomington? :)::)::):

Martinsville Conservation Club is where I go, along with friends' houses outside of the city. Hoosier National Forest is another good option, though I've never done it. The Martinsville club isn't open for members until January.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    When Nate gets back we need to get the "Bloomington 10/22 Hiking Club" back up and running! My ankle is better now, I could use the exercise and those squirrels are still taunting INGO members...

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Oh, and of course there are private land options. Keep an eye on longbow in the MSG thread as he is likely to run a "BBQ & Shoot" day before long at his farm. We had fun shooting there a couple months back when we did the MSG camping trip.
    Make it after Aug 21, and I'll be happy :)

When Nate gets back we need to get the "Bloomington 10/22 Hiking Club" back up and running! My ankle is better now, I could use the exercise and those squirrels are still taunting INGO members...
    mmmmmm :D

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington

Do tell?! Was that in HNF? I suppose Morgan/Monroe SF would be open to that during squirrel season, that's up in my neck of the woods, count me in on that!

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Feeding college students one squirrel at a time...............

Wow what a flashback. In college I would go to a local WMA, stock up the fridge then on Sunday's we would eat them critters (and fish) and watch football. Great way to introduce city kids to wild game. My roomies begged for more, eventually they ALL went hunting with me.

My bird dog loves to hunt squirrels.

NRA member

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2015
    United States
    For a membership fee there's the Sycamore Valley Gun Club (which was kicked off campus by former IU Pres. Myles Brand [spit], formerly on Range Rd. in Bloomington, SW of Spencer, IN):

Sycamore Valley Gun Club

There's also a Columbus club w/a range over in Brown County (between Nashville and Columbus):
    Hoosier Hills Rifle and Pistol Club

I do not recommend the "Sycamore Valley Gun Club" Here is Why

1. it is located near the river and the river floods out the range very very often unless there is a drought. You are not allowed to enter or use the range if flooding is occurring
    . So, if it is closed all the time what good it. The Club has some very confusing guidelines about the height of the water and when not to shoot. I went down there to shoot - drove all the way down from INDY and the water was up "but not on the range". One of the SVGC officers showed up and politely told me the water was too high
    and I had to quit shooting and leave. Even though I pointed out there was no water on the range. What a Crock.

2. instead of just paying one membership fee you have to pay 2. separate payments. !. the annual membership and 2. you have to join and pay a separate fee to belong to the FOUNDATION. and, get this they never come due at the same time . very confusing. This is total BS.

3. The range rules are not strictly enforced.... Many Many times I have went to this range and found the entry gate standing wide open. That is NOT kosher. What is happening is members are entering the range and for whatever reason they are not closing the gate behind them. This dangerous practice allows NON-members to enter (aka- ANYONE and his brother)
    the range. They wait for the member to go down and check their targets and while they are down range they steal their guns left on the bench rest. Also I have heard from good sources that
    other Non- members have been known to show up and start banging away while the legitimate club member is down range checking his targets. The members who are leaving the gate open should be
    terminated from the organization but they are NOT. WHY? it all has to do with money. Cant afford to loose a good dues paying member.... even though it threatens
    the safety of others. So, "Rules are not enforced and that makes it a very dangerous place to shoot"

4. The members are not screened and anyone who has the MONEY can join. I have seen some very nasty arguments break out at the club meetings or just after between members.
    and keep in mind - almost everyone in attendance is usually always wearing a gun. This is NOT GOOD!!!!! esp. if you believe in longevity.

5. there are only 2 positions to shoot at 200 yds. (maximum distance you can shoot) So, I have seen some petty bitter bickering between shooters
    wanting to shoot there and complaining to the current shooter at that position that he has been there long enough. Hard feelings often occur over this. No range officer to intervene. There is a good chance that someday gun play between members will occur over this.

due to above reasons I chose to cancel my membership.

Last edited:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I do not recommend the "Sycamore Valley Gun Club" Here is Why

1. it is located near the river and the river floods out the range very very often unless there is a drought. You are not allowed to enter or use the range if flooding is occurring
    . So, if it is closed all the time what good it. The Club has some very confusing guidelines about the height of the water and when not to shoot. I went down there to shoot - drove all the way down from INDY and the water was up "but not on the range". One of the SVGC officers showed up and politely told me the water was too high
    and I had to quit shooting and leave. Even though I pointed out there was no water on the range. What a Crock.

2. instead of just paying one membership fee you have to pay 2. separate payments. !. the annual membership and 2. you have to join and pay a separate fee to belong to the FOUNDATION. and, get this they never come due at the same time . very confusing. This is total BS.

3. The range rules are not strictly enforced.... Many Many times I have went to this range and found the entry gate standing wide open. That is NOT kosher. What is happening is members are entering the range and for whatever reason they are not closing the gate behind them. This dangerous practice allows NON-members to enter (aka- ANYONE and his brother)
    the range. They wait for the member to go down and check their targets and while they are down range they steal their guns left on the bench rest. Also I have heard from good sources that
    other Non- members have been known to show up and start banging away while the legitimate club member is down range checking his targets. The members who are leaving the gate open should be
    terminated from the organization but they are NOT. WHY? it all has to do with money. Cant afford to loose a good dues paying member.... even though it threatens
    the safety of others. So, "Rules are not enforced and that makes it a very dangerous place to shoot"

4. The members are not screened and anyone who has the MONEY can join. I have seen some very nasty arguments break out at the club meetings or just after between members.
    and keep in mind - almost everyone in attendance is usually always wearing a gun. This is NOT GOOD!!!!! esp. if you believe in longevity.

5. there are only 2 positions to shoot at 200 yds. (maximum distance you can shoot) So, I have seen some petty bitter bickering between shooters
    wanting to shoot there and complaining to the current shooter at that position that he has been there long enough. Hard feelings often occur over this. No range officer to intervene. There is a good chance that someday gun play between members will occur over this.

due to above reasons I chose to cancel my membership.

Heck of a good first post ..... :welcome: 2 :ingo:.....

pinhead56

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    A couple of my associates and I will be attending classes at IU in Aug is there someplace to shoot Pistols, Shotguns, and Carbines in the local area?

Go talk to the guys at:

Bloomington Home & Personal Secirity Store (HPSS) - www.bloomingtonhpss.com
    1200 N College Ave
    Bloomington, IN 47404
    (812) 347-3276
    M-F 9:00 - 5:00 pm
    Sat 11:00 - 5:00 pm

A friend of the owner opened a new range near B-town, it's private, but offers classes, training etc also. Not exactly in B-town, but not far away

UPDATED INFO: I found the business card with the range info....
    Panther Ridge Training Center
    2935 N Vandeventer Dr
    Solsberry, IN 47459
    812-825-2390
    pantherridgetrainingcenter.com

Last edited:

NRA member

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2015
    United States
    In all fairness to the Sycamore Valley Gun Club it is NOT all bad. There are some good people there and I learned a lot about shooting and reloading. There are also
    opportunities to get cheap ammo that are announced at the club meetings. They support the 4 H and US Air Force ROTC and also they teach women about firearms and how to
    shoot. (that is just a few of the many good things they do) I want to emphasize that for me the bad out weighed the good. I decided to put my money on a shooting facility that does not have all these problems.
    Also I forgot to mention they also have a trap house/range as well. They have a strong membership and it is growing so they must be doing something right Just not for me....

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom