• Pit Bull Puppy

• Total voters

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    Ignorance and fear run rampant when it comes to dogs. Its all about the training and socializing.
    That being said, I don't own a Pit.
    I have an 80lb Boxer that will put himself between you and my wife and daughter if you act aggressively. I can guarantee he wouldn't hurt a fly otherwise.
    I think any dog is just a reflection of the owner. You put the time in and train and socialize the dog. Some people are to lazy to take on the responsibility.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    When man domesticated the canine, certain breeds were bred due to bring out certain characteristics. A pit is going to require a lot more work than a gun dog, herder, etc..... That said, it can be done depending on how much work you can put into it.

With a child that small, I would think I would look at a different breed. My vote is something smallish and sturdy like a Pug.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    When man domesticated the canine, certain breeds were bred due to bring out certain characteristics. A pit is going to require a lot more work than a gun dog, herder, etc..... That said, it can be done depending on how much work you can put into it.

With a child that small, I would think I would look at a different breed. My vote is something smallish and sturdy like a Pug.

1. His wife doesn't want something "smallish."

2. IME, small dogs are much more territorial than big dogs. I've seen way more small dogs get defensive of kids invading their territory than big ones because they feel threatened, since even a small baby is bigger than they are.

My niece isn't even allowed in the same room alone with my sister's foofy dog, but she can ride my GSD around like a horse...That same dog would rip your arm off in a heartbeat if you are a stranger and tried to get close to her, my son or any defenseless child he's familiar with, without an adult(guardian) being around.

Bigc177

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Westside of Indy
    You'll be fine.

IMO I would rather have a female than a male... I've had all female dogs from Shar Pei's to mini pins (all have pasted). We have a female mutt (beagle / pit) and she's the smartest damned dog I've ever had, plus she's was a stray. Someone dumped her in the streets of Haughville as a pup, and my mother in-law found her on the side of the street and took her in. I had to have her when I saw her.

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    Wow, once again I am very thankful for the responses from everyone. It looks like we will be getting the puppy, and we will be training it, as well as ourselves. We will also be sure to socialize the puppy with other dogs as well as families while he is still small. As I previously stated, he has been around small children since birth, which does ease most of my concerns. Supposedly, he is also kennel trained, and potty trained. Additionally, he will be kept in a fenced backyard, and probably on a chain when he is outside. Still, feel free to offer additional suggestions, as it has been quite a bit of time since I have had a puppy. Thanks again for all of the input.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    My advice.

Take his food away when he is half way done eating it. Also feed him by hand. You don't want him to develop a "resource defending" habit either. That is how my son got bit.

I only mention it, because it's a rare issue, and not something that a dog trainer will bring up.

This is just my opinion, but if you start having aggression issues when he is a puppy, it's best to put him down early. Not being a professional dog trainer, that kind of behavior is very hard to break.

To help this, do NOT play tug of war or play fight with him. That is a big big no-no for bully breeds, in general. Do not encourage ANY kind of rowdy behavior.

It's best to stay as far away from the fire as possible, than to see how close you can get without being burnt.

BTW, this is the same advice I would give for any breed when a toddler is involved, based on the mistakes I made with our dog.

BarryJaxon

Shooter
    Rating - 50%
    0   1   1
    Feb 23, 2011
    Dogs are like people,some good some bad,I`m a lifelong GS owner myself but I`ve had friends with pits that were every bit as loyal and trustworthy as my dogs.And yeah I`ve saw some that needed to be taken out behind the barn,same for people!

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    Tuggen makes em mean?:rolleyes: and if you take him for to many rides then he will demand more.
    Definatly take extra time and make sure he is not food aggressive though, Dallas never had an issue and uses his lips to get things from you. I had a freind whos pit would full on attack if you got within about 10Ft. of his bowl.
    Dallas is 6 years old now and I took him from a person because he was an abused puppy. I got him at about 6 months and if you moved to fast he would attack you bite, snarling and basicly go into convulsions. everyone said I had to put him down, nobody thought I could handle him. It took a couple of months, but the past 5 years have been a true story of mans best freind. Now everyone wants him, heck even my grandmother wants this dog and she dosn't even like dogs.....
    My girlfreinds mom mentions nabbing my dog atleast once a weak.
    Anyway, all I am trying to say is. If you think he may be a bit to aggressive for you please PM me, don't put him down..... I do spend ALOT of time with him though.
    b6tv0l.jpg

Last edited:

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    I have not read the entire thread, but if the dog is only about 9 weeks and you can meet the parents - I say go for it.

You said your wife has no dog experience - enroll her in a puppy class. She'll learn dog behavior, the puppy will get a ton of socialization, and get the benefit of basic obedience. Pits are great dogs but very energetic pups. Keeping it busy will help.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Tuggen makes em mean?:rolleyes: and if you take him for to many rides then he will demand more.
    Definatly take extra time and make sure he is not food aggressive though, Dallas never had an issue and uses his lips to get things from you. I had a freind whos pit would full on attack if you got within about 10Ft. of his bowl.
    Dallas is 6 years old now and I took him from a person because he was an abused puppy. I got him at about 6 months and if you moved to fast he would attack you bite, snarling and basicly go into convulsions. everyone said I had to put him down, nobody thought I could handle him. It took a couple of months, but the past 5 years have been a true story of mans best freind. Now everyone wants him, heck even my grandmother wants this dog and she dosn't even like dogs.....
    My girlfreinds mom mentions nabbing my dog atleast once a weak.
    Anyway, all I am trying to say is. If you think he may be a bit to aggressive for you please PM me, don't put him down..... I do spend ALOT of time with him though.
    b6tv0l.jpg

Tugging does not make them mean, but it does positively enforce the behavior. If that's your thing then go for it. I just don't recommend it for super high energy athletic dogs. They don't always remember that they're not in charge either.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Man alive I shouldn't have opened this thread because the disgust I have in my fellow man that can carry a gun but also carry a hatred for a breed of dog is vile and low. I at one point in time had 11 pit bulls in my house and no one was harmed, maimed, or killed. The worst anyone in my house has gotten is a beating from a tail. My female will sleep with my kids when they take naps. When I get home at night my pits want nothing more than to play, my female wants to play with me so much that she will forego dinner to play for an hour or two and the scarf down her food before zonking out. Pit bulls were not bread for aggression they were bread and maintained as a family dog for hunters and gatherers. You didn't have to leave able bodied men at the homestead while dad and brothers and uncles worked the farm because a good pit bull will put itself between its family and whatever harm tries to come to pass.

I have never seen a more good spirited loyal dog in all my years except for a GS Lab mix that comes in a very close second. I say you need not look any further than a American Pit Bull Terrier if you are looking for not only a companion but a best friend for your son. If you choose to go this route I would consider donating one of my Gameline Pedigree pups to your cause if necessary.

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I believe that you made a good decision, with you spending lots of time with the puppy, training and socializing him with other people and dogs you will not have anything to worry about. Show the dog love and it will love you back.
    I too just got a blue female pit she is now a few days shy of 2 months old and we are in the process of potty training and crate training her. At times she can be a little pistol but for the most part she is doing great.

91FXRS

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    NWI
    Well my :twocents:, my little brother just dropped his pit off for us to watch for the week. Great dog, I have an energetic 6 year old and a 13 year old dog is great with both and always has been. He got this dog about a year ago and I believe the dog was about 1 1/2 years then. I was a little nervous at first because my brother was the third owner(defiantly the last it's his best friend) and his not being a puppy but this dog is a big baby and been around many kids never aggressive. I had a rott when my oldest was 4 and my mom was all paranoid about that but we got him very young raised him right and same thing that dog would not hurt a fly. I am a firm believer that any dog is a good dog if they are raised right, although I'm not a fan of the ankle biters.:twocents:

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    My advice.

Take his food away when he is half way done eating it. Also feed him by hand. You don't want him to develop a "resource defending" habit either. That is how my son got bit.

I only mention it, because it's a rare issue, and not something that a dog trainer will bring up.

This is just my opinion, but if you start having aggression issues when he is a puppy, it's best to put him down early. Not being a professional dog trainer, that kind of behavior is very hard to break.

To help this, do NOT play tug of war or play fight with him. That is a big big no-no for bully breeds, in general. Do not encourage ANY kind of rowdy behavior.

It's best to stay as far away from the fire as possible, than to see how close you can get without being burnt.

BTW, this is the same advice I would give for any breed when a toddler is involved, based on the mistakes I made with our dog.

I highlighted that first sentence because it will have the exact opposite results. It's a good way to get mauled once the dog gets big enough. That's teaching the dog that you are unfair and are messing with him. If he has no fear of losing the food, he has no reason to get food aggresive, other than instinct. Your feed by hand advice creates trust, which is the opposite of taking his food before he's done.

Try to take my food away half-way done and see what happens.

I agree with the rest.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    My advice.

While we are at it, a spring pole one of the most fun exercises for any dog is essentially an automated tug of war. This does not cause aggression. Also often an active dog can be mistaken for being aggressive so to suggest to put one down as a pup is a bit precocious.

Last edited:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    1. I've never seen a dog develop aggression issues from TOW...IME, it's always been a good way to get rid of energy when the weather doesn't permit outside exercise.

2. I've taken the food bowl away after my dogs have started eating, but they are MY dogs and I've realized it doesn't matter one way or the other, because they know who's boss. I highly recommend friends, family or anyone who will be around your dog to hand feed them though.

It's always easiest to leave food and water out 24/7, so unless your dog is overweight(or prone to being overweight), leave it out so he knows he always has food available.

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    It's always easiest to leave food and water out 24/7, so unless your dog is overweight(or prone to being overweight), leave it out so he knows he always has food available.

Pits normally don't have this problem, if they do it can be indicative of things like astrids aka worms.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom