• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Thanks for the info. Im gonna go looking for a Winchester to check out. Its gonna be a little bit before I have the money for this set up so I have plenty of time to look at and fondle some guns before I make my choices. Also thanks for the insight on barrel length. I was thinking going with a 20" but now I think Im gonna get a 16".

Currently these are the front runners

Rossi USA
    Rossi 16" .357 Stainless.

Ruger® New Model Blackhawk® Stainless Single-Action Revolver Models
    The Blackhawk with the 6.5" barrel of course.

Great choices, I need to pickup a lever action .357 in the near future as well. I have 2 blackhawks, a blued 4 5/8's in 45 colt and a stainless 6 1/2 in .357 Mag. Dang does that gun shoot great! I used to have a Winchester model 94 in .30-30, great rifle. I don't know about them in pistol calibers though, haven't seen one yet! :): There are a couple companies that make reporduction lever actions from the wild west days, probably Uberti. I love western guns!

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Great choices, I need to pickup a lever action .357 in the near future as well. I have 2 blackhawks, a blued 4 5/8's in 45 colt and a stainless 6 1/2 in .357 Mag. Dang does that gun shoot great! I used to have a Winchester model 94 in .30-30, great rifle. I don't know about them in pistol calibers though, haven't seen one yet! :): There are a couple companies that make reporduction lever actions from the wild west days, probably Uberti. I love western guns!

LOL me too. My dad is a huge and I mean HUGE fan of Clint Eastwood and of course The Duke himself John Wayne. So as a result I grew up watching westerns and playing cowboy.

Now that Im a a grown man (more or less) I find myself, as most do, longing for the things I really wanted as a small boy. For most my age it seems that would be something like an X-Box or Playstation or the newest I-Pad or wtfe stupid useless contraption that catches thier short attention spans at that moment between bong hits.

For me its Cowboy Guns!! (and some tacticool stuff too I will admit)

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Any reason you want the revolver barrel so long?

I would think a 4 5/8" barrel might be more versatile (or even a 4" SP101)

On the Rossi, just be ready to work the action firmly and understand you will likely damage the brass (unless you get the action smoothed.) One of my LGSs told me a few months back that about the only complaint he gets on the Rossi levers was a FTF/FTE related to the users not using enough force on the lever.

There is a fair amount of information online (and even a DVD you can order) about smoothing out the action, however.

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    I have a 7.5" redhawk and an 1894 marlin in 44 mag and I love the 44. I just need to start reloading so I can shoot more. A 357 combo is on my wish list.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Any reason you want the revolver barrel so long?

I would think a 4 5/8" barrel might be more versatile (or even a 4" SP101)

On the Rossi, just be ready to work the action firmly and understand you will likely damage the brass (unless you get the action smoothed.) One of my LGSs told me a few months back that about the only complaint he gets on the Rossi levers was a FTF/FTE related to the users not using enough force on the lever.

There is a fair amount of information online (and even a DVD you can order) about smoothing out the action, however.

No not any particular reason. My brother has a 6" GP100 and I like its balance. Im not as familiar with the Blackhawk platform but I just assumed it would be the same way. I may go with the 5.5" barrel just to save a little weight and I think the 4" barrel is just getting to short and puts the balance off. Just my thoughts right now. I could change my mind when I really start looking at and handling the guns.

I know the Rossi action isnt the smoothest. My friend has a Puma .44 and its about the same gun. It does need to be worked hard but its gotten better with use, and isnt so bad now.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Have you considered the Ruger 77/357 also? Nobody (of any importance) will call you a Ruger fanboy if you do ;).

Ive been doing a little more research on this rifle and the few others Ive been considering.

The Ruger 77/357 seems to be getting universal praise from everyone you gets thier hands on one. And its resonably priced and I could carry more than one mag loaded and ready.

I cant seem to find any Winchesters anywhere online. I havent looked locally yet. Most say they are good quality but not as good as they used to be.

Rossi/Puma seems to have mixed reviews with some swearing by them and others swearing off them. Not much middle ground, it seems people either get one that works and love or get a bad one and hate it. Might change my mind on this one.

Im still thinking Ruger for the revolver but I think now I may go with a 4" GP100 in favor of the double action option.

Im staring to think Im just gonna say screw it and get the Ruger 77/357 and the GP100. I dont care if people call me a Ruger fanboy.

Bc I kinda am :D

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    I'm a new Ruger fanboy.
    I'm going to the range tomorrow to sight in my Ruger 77/44 stainless.
    I dropped a VXII 3X9X40mm on it.

Bowran

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    Perth western Australia
    I wasnt sure where to put this as it involves both a pistol and a rifle so I stuck it here.

Mods feel free to move If I did wrong.

Ive decided my next couple of purchases will be a revolver and a rifle that can share ammo. There are alot of advantages to this set up that I like and I think its a good combo to have.

Ive already decided the revolver will be either a Stainless Ruger 6" Blackhawk in .357 or a Stainless 6" GP100. Im open to suggestions on this too though.

The thing is I cant decide on is the rifle. I want a stainless lever gun in .357, but the only one I know of is made by Marlin and Ive heard alot of bad things about them latley. I have looked at Winchester, Uberti, Puma and Henry.

I like the Henry the best and hear they have great CS but since I plan to hunt with this set up Im not so sure I want to be beating through the woods with such a pretty rifle.

Winchester and Uberti seem to be good guns but Im wondering if they are worth the price as they are all listed for 1k+. Also I dont know anything about thier CS.

My friend has a Puma and Ive shot it a little and its seems to be the best value out of all of them.

What do you guys and gals think?
    I have a Puma 357 Saddle ring carbine which I have used for feral goats and its a fantastic little gun. Brilliant for point and shoot and I have taken goats and kangaroos on the run out to 100mts without much trouble. 125grain hollow points make a great impact and do the job just fine.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom