• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    There is no age limit or LTCH requirement to put a pistol grip on a shotgun. You must be 21 to buy a shotgun with a pistol grip, not to possess one. Many Mossbergs are sold with a standard stock, and include a pistol grip in the box.

You can buy one of these at 18, go home, and put on the grip. However, it would not be possible to buy it in that configuration. It is considered a handgun by IN law. You can own/possess/carry a handgun at 18, but you cannot buy one.

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    I read somewhere that shotguns with no buttstock, pistol grip or otherwise, are meant to be fired from the hip? Is there any truth to this or is it just a myth? Furthermore, would it be safer (for your face) to only use a pistol gripped shotgun with a buttstock on it?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    PG-only shotguns are every bit as cool and useful as AR pistols and Dracos. :laugh:

BUT...with a single-point sling attachment and/or long enough buffer tube, one CAN actually utilize an AR/AK handgun as a virtual rifle.

I read somewhere that shotguns with no buttstock, pistol grip or otherwise, are meant to be fired from the hip? Is there any truth to this or is it just a myth? Furthermore, would it be safer (for your face) to only use a pistol gripped shotgun with a buttstock on it?

Shooting ANYTHING from the hip is generally myth - unless you're just horsing around at a range. But horsing around at a range can be pretty darned irresponsible. But, if you're following the general safety rules - my thoughts are "fire away".

As a manner of self defense - shotguns. are. not. meant. to. be. fired. from. the. hip.

Bit of advice: Generally speaking, any shooting / gun handling that's in TV shows and/or movies - take it with a big bite of salt.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

I dunno what the exact purpose of pistol grip shotguns was. IMO, they're a bad idea.

Having a pistol grip with buttstock, to me, is way more comfortable than a shotgun with just a buttstock. Plus it just looks cool.

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    I dunno what the exact purpose of pistol grip shotguns was. IMO, they're a bad idea.

Having a pistol grip with buttstock, to me, is way more comfortable than a shotgun with just a buttstock. Plus it just looks cool.

I've handled a few shotguns with pistol grips in gun stores before and I don't like the way they feel. The ones that don't have a stock I just don't feel comfortable ever firing without the stock there to add support. And shotguns with pistol grips and stocks just don't feel comfortable to me.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I've handled a few shotguns with pistol grips in gun stores before and I don't like the way they feel. The ones that don't have a stock I just don't feel comfortable ever firing without the stock there to add support. And shotguns with pistol grips and stocks just don't feel comfortable to me.

I felt the same until I fired one. Now my 870 has a pistol grip buttstock.

I really enjoy it that way. And I'm much more accurate with it, and I can handle the recoil better.

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    I felt the same until I fired one. Now my 870 has a pistol grip buttstock.

I really enjoy it that way. And I'm much more accurate with it, and I can handle the recoil better.

I just put a Mossberg 500 Persuader on layway and I'm still debating whether or not I want to put the pistol grip buttstock on it when I get it. I'm almost positive I want to attach a flashlight and possibly a sidesaddle on it though.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    I didn't think there was any sense in a pistol grip shotty, but after shooting a buddy of mines serveral times I have kinda changed my mind a bit.
    As an example, I sleep upstairs. If someone broke into my house there is only one way up and one way down, that is a steep, narrow stairway.
    I thought the recoil would be bad, but it's not and it's pretty fun to shoot.

CrimsonRayne

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    I have a pistol grip sport stock for my 88 which works great due to where the safety is, but on most 500 i've played with the safety is on the back which, to me, would seem a bit more of a pain to reach with a pistol grip. Yet , if your serious, I'd recommend an over-the-top folding stock. It'd be the best of both worlds.

Top Bottom