• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Mostly 20yrds and some closer. I also mix up some longer shots at the 150yrd gong and other target I place at different distances 100yrds and in.

I like to learn my holds and practice shooting as much as my budget allows.

Pick a gun and learn to shoot it like a boss! If you are not shooting it well try a different platform.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    20 yards and in with my EDC. Torso sized target with a Caseys Dirty Bird center mass.

75 and in with my Super Blackhawk. Dirty Bird on a wire election sign frame.

I just picked up an Encore Pistol and have been learning how to shoot it with an occasional 100yd group using the same setup as the SB.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    A good practice drill is the El Presidente

Range: 10yd
    Target: three IPSC targets spaced 1yd from each other shoulder to shoulder

Start position: back to targets, hands above shoulders (“surrender position”), pistol concealed

Rounds fired: 12

At the start signal, turn, then draw and fire two rounds at each of the three targets. Perform a reload, then fire two rounds at each target again. There should be four hits on each target for a total of twelve.
    The classic standard was to perform the drill in under ten seconds with all A-zone hits. Any run with less than 12 A-zone hits was a failure.

Do it in 10 seconds with a carry gun and you are getting there...

I wanna shoot with you! Sounds like I could learn a lot!!

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    mostly 10-15 yd on 8" targets.
    When I go to mcf&g for some reason we shoot further out often, maybe 20-25 yd.
    I need to work on so many things though.... still a noob

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    I generally start at 5-7 yards and then move around side to side kind of randomly, yet slowly working my way back until I feel I'm missing too much, about 35-40 yards for me. I also like to shoot changing from standing, to crouch out to about 25 yards. Almost the same as I do with my bows.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Not that someone of Jackson's renown would care about my answer, but I will endeavor on anyway. A typical range session for me would include drills from 3 to 25 yards. That would be every time. Less frequently I will also practice at contact distance, and 50 and 100 yards. My main goal is to have a plan every time I go. Most people will never get far by just showing up and blowing rounds in a random manner.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    When I am shooting true regulation bullseye targets I use the ones designed for 50 feet. That is for indoor ranges. At outdoor ranges I am usually at 25 to 50 yards. When I shot big bore silhouette the targets were 50, 100, 150 and 200 yards, but that was a more specialized firearm and techniques.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I spend most of my time between 5 and 25 yards, but will spend some time at near contact and to 50y. I do some fundamentals work, but try to do mostly presentation and shooting on the move drills.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I've tested several different loads for each pistol I might carry. They are mostly Gold Dots, Federal HSTs and my handloads. I shoot at a 4" target at 7 and 14 yards and a bigger target at 21 yards. I always mark my targets with the date, caliber, bullet manufacturer, weight, distance, approximate temperature and wind direction. I use 7yds because of the "7yd rule." But I also want to know what the impact point is for longer distances such as in my house. Anytime I want to switch my carry piece I'll pull up the old targets and study them.

When I don't have a lot of time and want to just pop some rounds I'll staple a white paper plate up at 7-10 yards and do a series of double taps. Hopes this gives you some ideas.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    For the past year or so, my "practice" has been USPSA matches. The match dictates my distance shooting. I "get taught" where I'm at at every match. The weaknesses are quite obvious, on top of comparing to others with scoring. Today's match went very well as I adapted to an accuracy issue and solved the problem through the rest of the day.

25-50 yards often beat me up bad as far as consistent accuracy. Any range session I do, separate from a match, I intend to start with cold long shots from the holster. This is a shot I have to be able to make.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom