• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Thought I would bring this thread back from the dead. Always used cheap M&M corn pipes & a few old Grabows, but recently made the jump to a Peterson (System / P Lip). Looking for something interesting to poke down it. I usually buy a 2 oz bag of some of the different blends at Briar & Burley here in town, but would love to try something new.

The Petersons have a lifetime warranty. You just have to mail them back to Dublin and pay postage each way. Ha! I have some Amphora aromatic on order from a fishy website. Willing to share if it ever comes. I smoke very infrequently. I also use corn cobs. Losing them (off a boat) doesn't hurt so much. I've lost a Peterson, but never a corn cob. Irony is me......

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Thought I would bring this thread back from the dead. Always used cheap M&M corn pipes & a few old Grabows, but recently made the jump to a Peterson (System / P Lip). Looking for something interesting to poke down it. I usually buy a 2 oz bag of some of the different blends at Briar & Burley here in town, but would love to try something new.
    Petersons are nice pipes. Have you tried some of the tin tobaccos. Have you tried an English blend? I like them. It isn't as pleasurable for spectators sometimes...

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    The Petersons have a lifetime warranty. You just have to mail them back to Dublin and pay postage each way. Ha! I have some Amphora aromatic on order from a fishy website. Willing to share if it ever comes. I smoke very infrequently. I also use corn cobs. Losing them (off a boat) doesn't hurt so much. I've lost a Peterson, but never a corn cob. Irony is me......

I've been extra careful with this Peterson. I still like the M&M corn pipes because they work so well and are cheap, but this system one really smokes dry. Plus it looks great. Debated on getting a Savinelli instead, but I'm almost completely Irish so "Made in Dublin" sold me.

Petersons are nice pipes. Have you tried some of the tin tobaccos. Have you tried an English blend? I like them. It isn't as pleasurable for spectators sometimes...

I haven't tried out any of the tin tobaccos but would really like to. So many to choose from, I don't really know where to start. Any English Blends you'd recommend? I typically buy the in-house blends from Briar & Burley here in town. Really cool store, and huge selection.

I really like two of the blends I bought from the Men's Toy Shop in Nashville, IN. The Woodsman and Brown County are really nice with some bourbon.

That's a great store too, I need to try out some of their blends. I'm a big fan of nice knives, Surefire, Luminox, and Maxpedition stuff, so I tend to spend forever looking around in there.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Always wanted to try a pipe, but you know all that they say about smoking and such.

You all sure make it sound appealing though.

larrylegend

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Hancock County
    If you are into pipes you should check out Pipe Tobacco :: Smoking Pipes - Pipe Smoking Info & Advice :: Tobacco Pipes and browse through the forum section. You will find more recommendations for tobacco and pipes than you can count. Very nice people there and always willing to help out a new pipe smoker.

I agree that the Briar and the Burley is one of the best stores in the state for pipes and pipe tobacco. If you like English blends you may want to start with some of the bulk blends. You can try several different kinds without spending a lot of money on tinned tobacco. If you have tried those and like English blends you could try Dunhill nightcap or early morning pipe. Dunhill makes what most consider "classic" English blends. Some people new to pipes find them too strong though. Another tip is if you try a blend when you are relatively new and don't like it, hang on to it and try it after you have been smoking for a while, you may find your tastes have changed.

If you are ever able to find some Frog Mortons blends they are a "entry" level English tobacco. Many people enjoy them and consider them an all day smoke. There are many different kinds of tobacco and finding some that you like can take a while. Also, it may be a good idea to buy a few corn cob pipes and use one for each type of blend you smoke. That way you don't ghost your good pipes by smoking many different types of tobacco out of them. I have a few corn cobs dedicated to English, aromatic and burley blends. The cobs are cheap enough that you can do that.

Top Bottom