• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Defiance, OH area
    One of my sons live in NE ind. and he is starting to build up a BOB system. At Christmas we talked of teaming up with the local Amish community as he knows many of them. The are skilled at "Surviving"
    He said it has come up with a few of them that if things tipped over and the world went nuts they are fearful of the reprisal they may face at the hands of looters and maniacs etc. It is an opportunity for an alliance between a well armed and positive thinking group with good skill sets and those good hard working folks. Funny you should mention this......SSSHHHH...its a secret

When I drive through the area I notice they all have big houses, simple but big. Most have nice big buildings. Some of them are starting to get into alt energy putting up solar panels and wind turbines. Plus you have to take into consideration that all they things e are talking about learning on here, for the most part are doing on a daily basis. I do see a lot of them going to Meijer and Walmart getting food but I am sure the skills to make stuff is still there.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The food they prepare and the work they do is all top shelf. This is just something to think about. Those skills are lost on most "Modern" people. With out prior knowledge of who you are an alliance with their community might be a tough sell. People are deceitful and operate with alternative motives most of the time.

IndyPrepper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    There is a wonderful book that addresses many of the topics of homesteading and self sufficiency. I have turned to it often. "Back to Basics" from reader's Digest was put out many years ago, but I hear it has been re-released. Also used versions can be found on ebay and amazon.

I might have this one already, if not I'll add to my amazon list. Thanks!

Also on the Foxfire note I have one but will be adding as I find them at half price books.

Seems like alot of interest in the old skill and heard a few folks mention local gatherings in their county. Anyone have any links or suggestions... besides Conner Prairie?

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Are you also looking in to alternative/natural sources such as herbs/vitamins to replace pharmaceuticals if the SHTF?
    I've tried a few threads about this and no one seems interested....bark from trees in the willow family can be chewed as a pain reliever (this is where we originally got aspirin), pine needle high in vitamin c, and thisPiptoporus betulinus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia has antibiotic properties and was found in the gear the iceman carried 5300 years ago!Ötzi the Iceman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Goat milk is supposed to be a lot better for you than cow's milk is. It's supposed to be more digestible.
    The ONLY thing that makes cow milk "indigestible" and people "lactose intolerant" is the pasteurization process.

There is a book I was recently made aware of and will be getting some day...Dare to Prepare. http://standeyo.com/Our_Books/DTP.html

There is a film called "alone in the wilderness" that I LOVE because of how well it documents so many processes...http://www.aloneinthewilderness.com/ They run it on PBS from time to time and I watch it every time I see it on and it is on youtube to.

Last edited:

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    Another author to look into is Eric Sloane. His books are loaded with Early American ways of doing things. A few titles I enjoy are, A Reverence For Wood, Diary of an Early American Boy, A Museum of Early American Tools, Seasons of America. There are many other titles of his. He even has a couple of books on weather.

Kind of hard to find his books as they are not in print any longer. I found my copies on ebay, and from a small bookstore online. There is a small bookstore down in Nashville, IN that has a few of his books too.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I've tried a few threads about this and no one seems interested....bark from trees in the willow family can be chewed as a pain reliever (this is where we originally got aspirin), pine needle high in vitamin c, and thisPiptoporus betulinus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia has antibiotic properties and was found in the gear the iceman carried 5300 years ago!Ötzi the Iceman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's a different concept for most people. We are raised to believe we should trust only the drug companies and if they don't make it it's just snake oil. I use more vitamins than herbs but I am always willing to try new things. Milk Thistle is one of my favorite herbs. For tree barks I like slippery elm bark. I make the long brew soup for sick animals, people can use it too & it's safe.
    Slippery Elm for Better Pet Digestion

I have replaced most pharmaceuticals with supplements. I use citrus bioflavonoids instead of sinus meds (RX antihistamines & decongestants caused my HBP). Digestive enzymes, acidophilus & Betaine Hydrochloride instead of Reglan & Nexium. I can now eat anything, something that wasn't possible on RX meds. I use MSM & some tumeric for joint pain but will still take an occasional aspirin or Orudis if a joint is too painful. I haven't switched my HBP meds to natural yet because I haven't researched the alternatives.

I also give supplements to my dogs & cats. My son teases me that I am a witch doctor. That's ok, at least with most supplements they are relatively cheap and I don't have to worry about ugly side effects.

I am also a big fan of extra virgin coconut oil for skin care uses. I use it instead of expensive face lotions. I use it pretty much everywhere. It absorbs quickly & isn't greasy once it is absorbed. You can also cook with it.
    There are a lot of claims that it has additional uses as well.
    Health Benefits of Coconut Oil

The funny thing about natural healing is that sometimes if you try to tell other people about it they will act like you are cooking meth or something because it is such a foreign concept to them.

Blackduck21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    One small correction for you guys. I used to live near a very large Amish community. I can tell you from personal aromatic experiences, soap is not a top priority for the Amish.

PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Well our first cheesemaking trial was a "learning experience". It is a perfect example of the fact that you have to acquire these skills now and not when it counts. We made what the recipe claimed to be Queso. It said it was similar to "farmer's cheese"? Not sure what farmer's cheese is but what I do know is it tasted nothing like the Queso we get at our local Mexican joint. It didn't melt and had the consistency of a really pasty cottage cheese that has no taste. We'll try feta with the goat cheese that we have...not high hopes for that one.

Don't give up. My first experience at cheddaring was a complete failure. Learned alot though. You inspire me to get back at cheesemaking. I have not made cheese for several years.

IndyPrepper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    We will all be a bunch of stink butts if the S really HTF...I just want to eat

Guys also need to remember about shaving after SHTF... I know a lot of folks who shave every other day and have never sported a beard or the like... Facial hair can be very itchy and a constant annoyance.

PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    OH BOY! And if not kept clean will allow sores to form thus allowing for infection.....

Interesting you bring that up. An older gentleman we are friends with served during WWII and he told us just such an experience. He said he was absolutely miserable. He told us how a gentleman from the French Resistance, with whom he was guarding a water source, offered to help him. They made arrangements to meet later (our guy was not sure the offer was 'legit'), but he was so miserable he was willing to take the risk. Anyway, the meet occured and long story short - some type of poultice was applied to his face. He has no idea what was used, but said the remedy worked and he was forever grateful.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Interesting you bring that up. An older gentleman we are friends with served during WWII and he told us just such an experience. He said he was absolutely miserable. He told us how a gentleman from the French Resistance, with whom he was guarding a water source, offered to help him. They made arrangements to meet later (our guy was not sure the offer was 'legit'), but he was so miserable he was willing to take the risk. Anyway, the meet occured and long story short - some type of poultice was applied to his face. He has no idea what was used, but said the remedy worked and he was forever grateful.
    Likely urine based, but maybe not. I've heard of a lot of remedies that utilize the antiseptic properties of urine. For example peeing on your feet in the shower will prevent athletes foot....

J man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Defiance, OH area
    Likely urine based, but maybe not. I've heard of a lot of remedies that utilize the antiseptic properties of urine. For example peeing on your feet in the shower will prevent athletes foot....

That must explain why I have never had it. :)::):

I try to shave as little as possible, so the beard thing will be a bigger deal for my wife than me, just like now. One of these days I plan on getting my well to run off a turbine or solar panel so even if I loose power I will still have water. I might be one of the cleanest people around.:rockwoot:

Top Bottom