• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyPrepper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    One of the things I have been trying to do is learn about how they used to do it.

Candlemaking, Soap, heating, farming, etc....

Curious to see how many other out there have taken a look back at the past to prep for the future...

For example.... Soap making....

Did you know that back in the days before Walmart that ashes from hardwood fires were used to gather Lye for soap?

The ashes were gathered and usually put in a box/bucket where water was poured through. The water pulled the lye out of the ashes to be used later for soap creation.

There is a ton of information out there if you know where to find it, I have recently been quizzing my elders on how things used to be, back in the good old days. (Even found out that a distant relative used to have a cheese company that served Batesville and other surrounding areas)

Would love to hear some of your historic finds that you plan to implement for future use.

P.S if anyone knows what to do with used greese from cooking meat that would be great as well, I have about 5 jars that have been collected that I just don't want to throw out... Gotta be a use for it.

Cheers

Indy Prepper

IndyPrepper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    Used to make Lye soap with my grandmother as a kid. Stank though. We just stock up on liquid soap, shampoo, and body wash.

My wife and I almost have the coupon thing down to an art and science. So our soap, shampoo, body wash, femine products, toothpaste, etc are very well stocked..

But as you know one day those could all be gone. Always great to have alternate means :-)

Cheers

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Are you also looking in to alternative/natural sources such as herbs/vitamins to replace pharmaceuticals if the SHTF?

IndyPrepper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    Are you also looking in to alternative/natural sources such as herbs/vitamins to replace pharmaceuticals if the SHTF?

Haven't gotten that far along into it yet.
    Need a Herbologist in my crew ;-) One can only learn so much lol

But yes, would love any information on this topic as well.

J man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Defiance, OH area
    Sometimes I think the Amish will be the only ones to survive if something happened, but I also see them using more modern things than I thought they would.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    We have, we started making jar candles by re-using sauce jars, havent tried soap yet but its in our plans, but have been doing alot of primative cooking, heating, water gathering, farming. you know...the stuff that clears your soul along with your head!

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    Sometimes I think the Amish will be the only ones to survive if something happened, but I also see them using more modern things than I thought they would.

And this is why the Amish will need armed security in a SHTF event of larger proportions. Eventually those without will figure out where those with, are.

In many ways the Amish have it right, but they are not all that and a bag of chips, and also rely on each other within their own community. This is a key aspect that many of the "English" (that's you and me) have strayed very far from. We are basically too independent which works in modern times but may be the Achilles heel in other times.

Still, good luck defending the farms with a pitchfork and body odor.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    And this is why the Amish will need armed security in a SHTF event of larger proportions. Eventually those without will figure out where those with, are.

In many ways the Amish have it right, but they are not all that and a bag of chips, and also rely on each other within their own community. This is a key aspect that many of the "English" (that's you and me) have strayed very far from. We are basically too independent which works in modern times but may be the Achilles heel in other times.

Still, good luck defending the farms with a pitchfork and body odor.

Don't let the mild manners fool you. I know a lot of Amish that are better armed then some of us. In fact, I can think of none of the Amish, that I know, that do not have guns.

canamscott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    LaGrange County
    There is a wonderful book that addresses many of the topics of homesteading and self sufficiency. I have turned to it often. "Back to Basics" from reader's Digest was put out many years ago, but I hear it has been re-released. Also used versions can be found on ebay and amazon.

PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    In our area there are some historical societies that host events to demonstrate and provide info on these almost lost arts. My family has enjoyed learning and doing some candlemaking and soapmaking. I have to admit rendering tallow is not my favorite thing.

We have learned alot about cast iron cooking and baking over an open fire, as well. I find the old ways so fascinating, but I have to say I am thankful that I do not have to work that hard every day. I can if I must, however!

clarky51

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2011
    My christmas present this year was a cheesemaking book along with all the supplies. Tomorrow morning is going to be the first run. I am trying goat's milk and cow's milk. I have five acres and would like to get a cow or goat depending on the results. Would prefer goat due to size, food intake, etc - but will not sacrifice for taste. If it comes out tasting like...well, a goat...then hello Bessy.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    My christmas present this year was a cheesemaking book along with all the supplies. Tomorrow morning is going to be the first run. I am trying goat's milk and cow's milk. I have five acres and would like to get a cow or goat depending on the results. Would prefer goat due to size, food intake, etc - but will not sacrifice for taste. If it comes out tasting like...well, a goat...then hello Bessy.

Goat milk is supposed to be a lot better for you than cow's milk is. It's supposed to be more digestible.

Booshie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    I've always been interested on how pioneers used to make it "back in the day". I'll have to do some research of my own and see what I can come up with

clarky51

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2011
    ... I am trying goat's milk and cow's milk. I have five acres and would like to get a cow or goat depending on the results. Would prefer goat due to size, food intake, etc - but will not sacrifice for taste. If it comes out tasting like...well, a goat...then hello Bessy.

Goat vs Cow Milk: I read in "The Have More Plan" that you can't really tell the difference between goat's milk and cow's milk...this is absolutely FALSE. I did a blind taste test and nearly threw up when I tried the goat's milk. It tasted terrible. So no goat's coming on to our homestead. We may look into a Dexter cow.

clarky51

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2011
    My christmas present this year was a cheesemaking book along with all the supplies. Tomorrow morning is going to be the first run...

Well our first cheesemaking trial was a "learning experience". It is a perfect example of the fact that you have to acquire these skills now and not when it counts. We made what the recipe claimed to be Queso. It said it was similar to "farmer's cheese"? Not sure what farmer's cheese is but what I do know is it tasted nothing like the Queso we get at our local Mexican joint. It didn't melt and had the consistency of a really pasty cottage cheese that has no taste. We'll try feta with the goat cheese that we have...not high hopes for that one.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

One of my sons live in NE ind. and he is starting to build up a BOB system. At Christmas we talked of teaming up with the local Amish community as he knows many of them. The are skilled at "Surviving"
    He said it has come up with a few of them that if things tipped over and the world went nuts they are fearful of the reprisal they may face at the hands of looters and maniacs etc. It is an opportunity for an alliance between a well armed and positive thinking group with good skill sets and those good hard working folks. Funny you should mention this......SSSHHHH...its a secret

Top Bottom