• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cg21

Grandmaster
    May 5, 2012
    If a person was very interested in the revolutionary war time and deer hunting and living history and woods walk and wanted a heirloom quality kit to last (or a production model ?) …… is there one that checks all the boxes?

cg21

Grandmaster
    May 5, 2012
    Smooth bore or rifled?
    Most military longguns of that period are smoothbore.
    I don’t have a real preference. I see a lot of different results when searching. I am thinking a lot of people also had rifled barrels? Morgans men? Maybe it was just the elite that did?

Tradesylver

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Mar 27, 2024
    Brown County

Check this website, nice kits, reasonable pricing and quality.

I have two on a 54 flint half stock Hawkins style and a 54 flint smoothbore. I really enjoy the smoothbore the most. covers a larger time period F&I through the fur trade era and even into the Civil War. With a rear sight can be called a smooth rifle, you have options with a smoothbore.

cg21

Grandmaster
    May 5, 2012
    Might want to look at
    Another forum not sure my allotted free time allows that

RobertIN

Plinker
    Aug 20, 2024
    West Harrison
    Kibler's Longrifles. You cannot do better in function, quality, and authenticity for the money. I'm ordering his Southern Mountain Rifle as soon as my Colonial sells.

Absolutely stunning guns you'd be proud to show off at the range or display on the wall. Here's how mine evolved from in the white, to brown, to blue/brown mixed.

1000008455.jpg1000010342.jpg1000010443.jpg

Attachments

• 1000008967.jpg
      1000008967.jpg
      832.2 KB · Views: 5
    Last edited:

cg21

Grandmaster
    May 5, 2012
    Kibler's Longrifles. You cannot do better in function, quality, and authenticity for the money. I'm ordering his Southern Mountain Rifle as soon as my Colonial sells.

Absolutely stunning guns you'd be proud to show off at the range or display on the wall. Here's how mine evolved from in the white, to brown, to blue/brown mixed.

View attachment 378225View attachment 378223View attachment 378224
    Given my list of wants / needs which is most suitable? Colonial smooth bore???

RobertIN

Plinker
    Aug 20, 2024
    West Harrison
    Given my list of wants / needs which is most suitable? Colonial smooth bore???
    I'd say Colonial of either flavor depending on your preference. You can buy a second barrel if you want both, they come in .58, .54, and .50 and I think they're about $300~.

Fowler, 16ga if you only want to shoot shot or a 20ga if you want to shoot roundball and shot. The 20ga has thicker barrel walls and is recommended by Kibler for roundball.

If you're looking to portray living history for Indiana the Colonial is more fitting imo. The way it plays in my head is that as people began moving west into the Northwest territory (OH, IN, MI, IL, etc.) they'd have passed through Pennsylvania where the PA/KY rifle earned it's fame, it was probably one of the last stops before truly entering the wilderness.

Fowlers fit in with the New England areas from my understanding but some likely made their way West to Indiana so it might not be super out of place.

Highly recommend Muzzleloadingforum, even if it's just to ask a few questions and run before you get sucked in lol. Somebody out there has probably already asked a similar question about the tri-state. Those guys really know their stuff.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Jan 19, 2009
    I would imagine that if you scout around on GB you might be able to find a authentic "trade rifle" that would have been a common item with woodsmen and farmers. The Ketland pistol I picked up a while back was very well priced and still works.

cg21

Grandmaster
    May 5, 2012
    I would imagine that if you scout around on GB you might be able to find an authentic "trade rifle" that would have been a common item with woodsmen and farmers. The Ketland pistol I picked up a while back was very well priced and still works.
    I need a class on this. I am unsure what I thought or think trade guns are lol

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I don’t have a real preference. I see a lot of different results when searching. I am thinking a lot of people also had rifled barrels? Morgans men? Maybe it was just the elite that did?
    Yes, if you are wanting to portray a redcoat, smoothbore musket.

If you are wanting to be an American, either.

I'm sure there were rifles hanging above mantles all across the colonies.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Jan 19, 2009
    I need a class on this. I am unsure what I thought or think trade guns are lol

Trade guns are a generic term for guns typically manufactured in Europe and exported to North America. Companies like Hudson Bay or Northwest carried a lot of useful manufactured items not being made in North America at the time in any quantity. They were typically plain in construction as the end user, trapper, farmer, etc, would have no use for ornamentation.

While European sales continued well into the 19th century they were on the decline as American made goods became more available.

Here's a Ketland trade pistol from Hudson Bay below compared to a US made Simeon North that was sold to the fledgling US army.

tradeus.jpg

Mongo59

Master
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory

cg21

Grandmaster
    May 5, 2012
    I will be honest I just want something that is similar to what I ( a poor person ) would have had for hunting redcoats and animals during the revolutionary war period.

RobertIN

Plinker
    Aug 20, 2024
    West Harrison
    Pedersoli used to make one, not sure if it's in production still.

Here's a link to a non-firing version that can be converted if you're handy with a drill or have a drill press, all that needs to be done is have the touch hole drilled. Also gives some history. May not be exactly what early settlers of IN had on hand but fairly close. Says 1775-1860~ timeframe.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom