• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    Went last night to pick up our Ruger LCR. We have been looking at awhile, primary for Jodi and selective carry for myself. I can not believe how light this thing is! Loaded up with 125gr GD's is ONLY 15.7 oz - 1/3 the weight of my SA EMP40 EDC. On sale for $399 - cheaper online everywhere, but no shipping & FFL charges - probably a pretty fair price. Her eye sparkle says we're going shooting Sun or Mon.

dsc05141i.jpg

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    with proper grip, recoil is not that big of a deal.

These guns aren't plinkers and if bad guy is bearing down on me, "felt recoil" won't even enter my mind.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I am really considering one of these for myself. They are light! I think I have narrowed down my choice for a new pocket pistol to either the LCR or a Walther PPS in .40. Let us know how you like the LCR.

RetDep310

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Columbus
    Got one, and love it!! Looks like you got a good price on it. The recoil is not that bad with the stock Tamer grip. Mine with GD Short-barrel +P's is managable. Saw a newer version with the smaller pocket grip. Not much to hold onto, but fits better in the pocket. Get yourself a good pocket holster, carry it often and enjoy your LCR...

Boiler74

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Those have really nice triggers I've slobbered over them a couple of times, and came close to getting one at a show for a REALLY nice price. Maybe in the future..... I'll just add it to the list.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    At 13.5 oz. empty, you're touching the limit on 'light carry weight' vs felt recoil. I don't mind it...but I've different people shoot it and they were a bit concerned. Accuracy is excellent and the trigger pull is fairly good...nothing I'm going to try to change. For a 'pull, point-n-shoot' personal defense gun, it's right at the top of the list.

One thing I might suggest...XS SIGHTS, out of Dallas, makes a beautiful, drop on, tritium front night sight for it. I bought one for mine ($60 shipped) and it makes all the difference. This is the first gun I've owned that is truely a 'pocket carry' gun.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I am really considering one of these for myself. They are light! I think I have narrowed down my choice for a new pocket pistol to either the LCR or a Walther PPS in .40. Let us know how you like the LCR.

I got the PPS to be a pocket carry gun and unless I am wearing pants with cargo pockets, it really isn't a pocket gun. The LCR will pocket carry MUCH better. The PPS is, however, an excellent IWB gun.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I got the PPS to be a pocket carry gun and unless I am wearing pants with cargo pockets, it really isn't a pocket gun. The LCR will pocket carry MUCH better. The PPS is, however, an excellent IWB gun.

Yep handled a PPS .40 last night again along with the LCR. The PPS is surprisingly heavy for its size. Only a couple ounces shy of the weight of my glock 23. Only real advantage is width. So, I am thinking keep a better assortment of holsters for the glock and invest in a lighter gun such as the LCR. Besides I grew up carrying snub nose revolvers and I still like the darn things. For the money the LCR seems the way to go.

Not to thread jack but the shop I was at had a S&W 340PD. Scandium .357 with fiber optic sight. It was something like 10 ounces on his scale. I think it was out of the custom shop to boot. Wow it was nice and wow what a price tag! Shop ordered it for a doctor who had to wait months to get it. Now it is just sitting in the case. Did I mention it was nice!

chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    don't tease!

Yep handled a PPS .40 last night again along with the LCR. The PPS is surprisingly heavy for its size. Only a couple ounces shy of the weight of my glock 23. Only real advantage is width. So, I am thinking keep a better assortment of holsters for the glock and invest in a lighter gun such as the LCR. Besides I grew up carrying snub nose revolvers and I still like the darn things. For the money the LCR seems the way to go.

Not to thread jack but the shop I was at had a S&W 340PD. Scandium .357 with fiber optic sight. It was something like 10 ounces on his scale. I think it was out of the custom shop to boot. Wow it was nice and wow what a price tag! Shop ordered it for a doctor who had to wait months to get it. Now it is just sitting in the case. Did I mention it was nice!

So....what is the price they are asking? i'm in the market for a 38 snub and have heard about the scandiums. i've also heard they are waaaay to pricey. I've seen the lcr for $398 delivered + ffl fee on bud's.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    It was around $800 - $900. I honestly can not remember. I know the shop will deal if you have cash. It is a very nice gun and I might be interested later this year. But for almost twice the cost of an LCR? The LCR is looking like a great value.

mpholic

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    My wife (extemely recoil sensitive, 5 foot tall, 106 lbs.) shoots a LCR (standard pressure rounds) and doesn't complain at all about the recoil. I have been through at least half a dozen pistols and revolvers trying to find something she would shoot and the LCR is the first gun she seems to enjoy shooting.

I have shot as many as 100 rounds through it and didn't tire of it in the slightest.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The felt recoil (to me anyway) is on par or less than the popular S&W 442/642 (which are actually a 2 oz. heavier), probably due to the Ruger's well designed grips having a gel insert along the back.

Of the 3 loads I suggest for defensive use in 2" 38's, the felt recoil (to me) is as follows:

1. Gold Dot 135gr +p (sharpest)
    2. Corbon DPX 110 gr +p
    3. Rem. 158 gr +p LSWCHP (least sharp)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom