Picked Up My First Handgun At Bradis Today!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Did you get some Break Free and a .40 cal cleaning snake or rod and brush and jags? Now you can learn how to strip it down and clean it. Always a little bit more enjoyment for a new gun.

other dave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Howard County
    Sadly the G19 is third on my list after I pick up a Mini-14.

You might want to consider an AR-15 as opposed to the Mini 14. AR's seem to be inherently more accurate and magazines are a lot cheaper. Generic Mini 14 mags aren't always reliable and factory ones are more expensive than AR mags.

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    You might want to consider an AR-15 as opposed to the Mini 14. AR's seem to be inherently more accurate and magazines are a lot cheaper. Generic Mini 14 mags aren't always reliable and factory ones are more expensive than AR mags.

Yeah I'm actually planning on building my own AR at some point in the future when I get the cash together.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Oh I won't be getting rid of this gun simply because its the first handgun and first gun that I've actually purchased. And I'm taking BP 100 next saturday.

Good on you for planning ahead and getting training!

And I ment hang onto it (grip wise) bc of the recoil associated with .40 cal pistols, as they tend to be snappy.

But yes also keep it bc it is your first and will always be your first. :yesway:

Last edited:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    What budget? I'm a college kid, I have no budget! After I buy a Mossberg I won't be buying any guns for awhile

Might I suggest a Mossberg 590A1 in Marine coat? It costs a little more than a standard 500 but the Marine coat gives it much better corrosion resistance, and the 590s have all metal parts where as the 500s use plastic in the safety, trigger guard and a few other parts, and I think it looks better than the standard black 500s. YMMV

I love my 590A1,(although mine is not marine coat I will be getting another that is :D) cant go wrong with the tried and true 500 though, You have good taste my friend!

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Congrats PK! Be super safe.

.40 is really snappy. My first pistol was a Glock22 (.40 cal.), and I couldn't hit a thing with it. Pistols are already difficult, having no stock to rest the gun against, and when you add snappy recoil to the mix, it can be difficult for a beginner to achieve bullseyes. Some people are naturals, not me! What I'm saying is, do not get discouraged if it is more difficult than you expected.

You will shoot A LOT better if you practice your grip frequently, until it becomes natural. This can be done safely at home with an EMPTY gun (always triple check when you pick it up, even if you never keep it loaded). Use the 'two thumbs forward grip':

Thumbs-Forward Handgun Grip | Shooting Illustrated

Also you should practice dry firing at home and the range, once you lock your grip in tight. Cock the UNLOADED (triple check every time ; ) gun, aim the gun in a SAFE direction, stare down the sights, and pull the trigger. If the sights move even one millimeter, then keep practicing. It could take days, weeks, or months to master the grip, and trigger pull.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    What budget? I'm a college kid, I have no budget! After I buy a Mossberg I won't be buying any guns for awhile

Oh ok I see. The way you were talking I was thinking you were going on a shopping spree. Hey in regards to the shotgun purchase, Mossberg is just releasing their new FLEX line if you are thinking of getting a 500. I like it because you can quickly interchange parts with one shotgun. Here is a link:

Flex Your Mossberg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Congrates PK...I see you did go and get it. Most cool. Be safe with it.
    Where do you shoot.........

I have to agree with Kawtech...I just did a lot of work to my 590 A-1 and I love it. They are built like a tank.

chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    Is it sad that 90% of what I know about guns comes from many hours spent playing first person shooters on my Xbox360, action films, and wikipedia?

don't forget all the "study time" wasted on ingo. I remember my first...great feeling isn't it. resist the urge to play with it too much, you'll go blind! LOL.;)

minx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    SW Indiana
    I remember when I lost my virginity. ;) Now I cant get enough, .22, .380, 9mm. Wish list .45 and a 12 gauge semi-auto.

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    Where do you shoot.........

In the woods behind my house. Next time I'm going to a range.

I remember when I lost my virginity. ;)
    Now I cant get enough, .22, .380, 9mm. Wish list .45 and a 12 gauge
    semi-auto.

Yeah, I'm fairly certain I've become an "addict" now. It's a disease I need treatment!.....................just not now

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Is it sad that 90% of what I know about guns comes from many hours spent playing first person shooters on my Xbox360, action films, and wikipedia?

Hmm. Well I guess its the way most of the younger generation (mind you Im only 25) has been introduced to firearms so Id say no its pretty typical nowadays.

I was lucky enough to be introduced as a young boy (5yo) and I now have 20 years of research and practice that most kids my age never will get or will only get by the time they are 40. Dont worry its never to late and youve come to the right place and youve already shown that you have a decent head on your shoulders by electing to get training. Keep it up my friend your on the right path!

Next is to spread the word and get your friends involved. The more the marrier!

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    Hmm. Well I guess its the way most of the younger generation (mind you Im only 25) has been introduced to firearms so Id say no its pretty typical nowadays.

I was lucky enough to be introduced as a young boy (5yo) and I now have 20 years of research and practice that most kids my age never will get or will only get by the time they are 40. Dont worry its never to late and youve come to the right place and youve already shown that you have a decent head on your shoulders by electing to get training. Keep it up my friend your on the right path!

Next is to spread the word and get your friends involved. The more the marrier!

The first time I fired a gun I was 12 years old at Camp Maumee Boy Scout Reservation. It was only a .22 but it was fun!

Top Bottom