Picked up a new WWII rifle today! :) :) :)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • H.T.

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Fishers -MSG 2
    Those are Korean Marking on the Sling. The ROK used the M1 carbine and M1 Garand. During and well after the Korean war.
    I have an M1 Carbine that was made by IBM in 1942.
    Back in the 80s up through the mid 90s you could get a Military issue M1 Carbine from $150 to $250 depending on Grade. My dad tells me that when he was a kid in the late 50s through mid 60s you could go into the local hardware store and pick up a WWI & II bolt action rifles ie. Springfiled 03, Enfiled MKIV and K98 etc for Under a Hundred dollers. Dad said they just had them stuck in a old Pickle barrel by the front door!!
    Oh to be back in the good old days.
    I would like to also point out that the Military M1 carbines are the best no matter there age. They will always perform better than a modern copy Is an Iver JOHNSON. For anyone looking t getting a M1. Make sure it is military issue. Not only do they make great target rifles. There great for Rabbit and Squirels. Also with JHP loads there a great reliable home defense weapon...Especialy with the Bayonet..lol.

redneck919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    southside
    be careful though m1 carbines are about as bad as mosin nagants.you buy one then you think you need another then another...i own 4 carbines myself.ammo for em is hard to find but when you do find it load up!

WinChoke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Alexandria
    Yes. I remember well drooling over one that was for sale at the local hardware store back in the '70's as a young kid in Bassett , VA. Don't recall details, though. That store has long since closed, but it was where I got my first shotgun given to me by my dad, and my first several pocket knives (along with the fishing licenses we needed to fish trout in the the Smith River right behind the store and bass/bluegill in Philpott Lake, which was the result of a TVA project years ago.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    . Also with JHP loads there a great reliable home defense weapon...Especialy with the Bayonet..lol.

People forget or overlok that but the carbine offers high capacity and low recoil that is more friendly to clear a malfucntion with then say an AK or AR, low recoil, offers a faster second shot then a shotgun and unlike a pistol most people can still hit a target with a carbine.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    It looks like a CMP rifle that was returned from the South Korean Army Lease Program...

Plus for a Home Defense/Hunting round Corbon DXP Hunter!

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    man im jealous. I have a soft spot in me for WWII weapons i love them. heres something i thought was cool
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFQ1P4o_qo0[/ame]

Lanser

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Evansville
    Yes, that is Korean.

The U.S. provided tons of M1 Carbines to both Japan and South Korea for their defense and police forces during reconstruction. Looks like you got one of those. Super cool, if you ask me! :D

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The markings on the sling are definitely Korean, not Japanese. This rifle could be one of the many that we have shipped to Korea for their forces over the years. It sure is a nice looking piece!

firstrock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The Korean writing on the sling translates to August 1990 and the rest of the writing is the name of some Korean company, that's it. The company is probably the exporters name.

I was hoping it said more but that's what the wife says it says.

***UPDATE***

My wife did some more research for you and she believes that the Korean writing on the sling represents the manufacture date of the sling as the Korean company listed on the sling is a fabrics manufacturer for the Korean military. The writing on the sling has nothing to do with the rifle or the importation of the rifle, just the sling manufacturer and date of manufacture.

Last edited:

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    Nice carbine! I'm a pretty big fan of the M1 carbine myself. You had mentioned thinking it went through an arsenal refit. It probably has. A NPM in your serial range would have been produced in 1943 and have the "type I" flip rear sight, for example. That's no big deal, in my opinion.

That's the fun of carbine (and other American WWII arms) collecting...at least to me...figuring out all the parts and the stampings and cartouches. That, and shooting them. :D

I've also got a gob of Korean surplus .30 carbine ammo in bandoleers marked in Korean. The bandolier in my avatar is Korean. I also have a Korean produced M4 bayonet that I picked up, just because, one day. Yeah, you get one Carbine, or Garand, and then all of the sudden you're out buying bayonets, cleaning kits, and all kinds of stuff. :D

Top Bottom