• Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Cliff notes ...

New computer

Installed PS7 with no problem a couple days ago

First attempt at using today and I am getting a "Scratch Disks are Full" error message that terminates the application.

How do I fix this? The computer is new ... 2TB hard drive (8GB RAM,) so there's "nothing" filling up the hard drive. I took a quick look online and everything tells me to change the preference settings in PS. However ...

First off, I can't even get PS to finish starting up in order to get to the Preferences to change the settings.

Second, I only have one hard drive and all the links I found say not to use a temp/removable hard drive as your scratch disk (whatever that is).

My last computer never had this issue and it was substantially weaker than this one (memory, processor, space, etc.). In case if I decide to uninstall and reinstall, is there something to look for during installation/set up?

Help ... please.

JokerGirl

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    NW Indy
    Make sure you don't have any memory sticks associated with a camera or flash drive plugged in, and try again.

My other best guess is that PS7 is pretty old, and that you may have to create a partition on your drive less than 1TB for it to run on because it's not recognizing your larger HD. Either that, or get a newer version of PS.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    There is a setting in photoshop where 'temporary' files are stored. Say you are working on a 1g file. An equally large 1g file is stored in a folder on your HD. This is considered your 'scratch disk'. Adobe in their infinite wisdom does not remove these files (ever) so they fill your HD up as fast as you edit photos. Find that folder, then start deleting like mad :)

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Make sure you don't have any memory sticks associated with a camera or flash drive plugged in, and try again.

My other best guess is that PS7 is pretty old, and that you may have to create a partition on your drive less than 1TB for it to run on because it's not recognizing your larger HD. Either that, or get a newer version of PS.

Hmmm ... unplugged the portable storage drive that I was using. Restarted the computer. Tried to open PS7. Same problem ... Scratch Disks are Full ... program ends. Nothing else plugged into the computer besides the basics ... printer, keyboard, mouse, monitor ... no web cams.

I'm sooooo comfy and familiar with PS7. It does everything I need it to do. I don't want to pay for anything new when PS7 is fine for me. Put it this way, I just got rid of my flip phone two months ago because Nextel/Sprint would no longer support the old technology. I'm going to be dragged kicking and screaming into the last century.

I'll have to Google How do I create a Partition. Question is what size to make it?

There is a setting in photoshop where 'temporary' files are stored. Say you are working on a 1g file. An equally large 1g file is stored in a folder on your HD. This is considered your 'scratch disk'. Adobe in their infinite wisdom does not remove these files (ever) so they fill your HD up as fast as you edit photos. Find that folder, then start deleting like mad :)

The issue is that I have never used PS7 on this computer so there shouldn't be a single image byte related to Photoshop anywhere on this computer yet ... temp or otherwise. Today was my first attempt at opening the program.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Is ps7 compatible with the version of windows you are using?

And as someone else stated, your hard drive may be so large, that ps7 doesn't recognize it.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Shows how much I use photoshop! I didn't even realize this was an old version. yes, likely it may be a compatibility issue with win8
    Does 8 have an option to run in 32 bit mode (or earlier) version?

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Great :rolleyes:

Compatibility issues and I barely know how to save a file.

For the record, I jumped straight from Windows XP Professional on the old computer to Windows 8 on this one.

JokerGirl

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    NW Indy
    It's not a compatibility issue per se. It literally is that PS7 was never configured to recognize a scratch disk as big as 1TB.

Partitioning will require you to right click on My Computer, Manage, Storage, then Disk Management. Then you want to Shrink Volume. I'd choose one that's maybe 200GB, and then just make sure to delete it out all the time. Since you're using such an old version, I can't realistically see you creating .psd files with enough layers to fill that space quickly.

CTRL + ALT after clicking the PS7 icon, and you should be given a screen where you can choose the new partition.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    It's not a compatibility issue per se. It literally is that PS7 was never configured to recognize a scratch disk as big as 1TB.

Partitioning will require you to right click on My Computer, Manage, Storage, then Disk Management. Then you want to Shrink Volume. I'd choose one that's maybe 200GB, and then just make sure to delete it out all the time. Since you're using such an old version, I can't realistically see you creating .psd files with enough layers to fill that space quickly.

CTRL + ALT after clicking the PS7 icon, and you should be given a screen where you can choose the new partition.

More details please ... I have navigated my way to the Disk Management. How do I label the new partition?

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    More details please ... I have navigated my way to the Disk Management. How do I label the new partition?
    Honestly, I'd suggest acquiring a newer version of PhotoShop rather than trying to kludge PS7 into working...

I realize money doesn't grow on trees but you can also 'lease' the software temporarily and use it and then cancel the lease when you're done. You could also probably download the trial and get what you need done, done, so long as you can do it within 30 days.

Top Bottom