• ...and so much more!
  • Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Here are some views of the new S&W 22LR assault rifle called the M&P 15-22. The only thing I added was the vertical handle and will probably remove the iron sights and put a scope on it. This is a must have rifle.

Suggested retail is $499 but you can pick one up in the $450 range. They are allocated with most suppliers.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Is it Taktikal, everything has to be Taktikal,

but really has anyone got any 50 yd, 5 or 10 shot groups from any of these rifles

With my shakes and eyesight I doubt I could get that with a Olympic target gun held in a vise. I haven't shot this one yet but will let you know how it shoots when I do. It does look sharp and is Smith and Wesson quality.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    What is this :noway: suppose to mean?

I don't think he likes the polymer upper/lower/rail.

Given its intended use (plinking, NOT working) and price point, something like this wouldn't bother me much. Its more something to give a younger kid who wants a gun that looks like Daddy's. Same with the GSG-5 and Colt M4 .22.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township

Given its intended use (plinking, NOT working) and price point, something like this wouldn't bother me much. Its more something to give a younger kid who wants a gun that looks like Daddy's. Same with the GSG-5 and Colt M4 .22.

Yup. Even for a .22 plinker, I would NOT want a polymer AR, even a clone...

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Don't agree

First of all many polymers are stronger than some metals and the Tech look is the latest thing; (sort of like a Glock only longer :D). Non metal guns don't seem to bother the polymer handgun owners.

Also 22LR is a lot cheaper to shoot than .223 and the gun does not cost $800 to $1,000 and up. These aren't designed to be issued to the local swat team for out in the field but I guees could be used for training purposes. :twocents:

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I think the polymer keeps the price down, allowing more people to own one. If price doesn't bother you than buy a real AR and practice with .223 instead of 22lr, or get a dedicated upper.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    First of all many polymers are stronger than some metals and the Tech look is the latest thing; (sort of like a Glock only longer :D). Non metal guns don't seem to bother the polymer handgun owners.

This is true. However, I like the polymer in a handgun because I have to carry my handgun on my person all day, therefore I enjoy the weight savings. For a rifle/carbine this isn't such an issue. In the M&P-22's case, I stick to my above comment that it doesn't really bother me, given its intended purpose and inexpensive price point.

Also 22LR is a lot cheaper to shoot than .223 and the gun does not cost $800 to $1,000 and up. These aren't designed to be issued to the local swat team for out in the field but I guees could be used for training purposes. :twocents:

Purpose (or 'mission', if you will) is what will separate those who buy the polymer M&P-22 versus a dedicated .22 upper or conversion.

If you're simply trying to train for cheaper than .223 prices, then a conversion or dedicated upper is the way to go. This way you've got all the exact same controls as your "working" gun, because it IS your working gun.

If a person is simply looking for a neat plinker that looks like an AR, then the M&P-22 would definitely fit the bill. Or it would be a great way to introduce someone to shooting the AR platform. With the polymer upper/lower/rail, I don't think you'd want to really 'train' with it. I'm thinking of optics wiggling around on the polymer upper, or a foregrip getting ripped off the polymer rail system.

rfguy1984

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Mishawaka
    I like it! Thanks for posting the pics! I think that the polymer would be fine on a .22LR rifle. There is a polymer AR that shoots .223 out there by somebody...I just forget who.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I like it! Thanks for posting the pics! I think that the polymer would be fine on a .22LR rifle. There is a polymer AR that shoots .223 out there by somebody...I just forget who.

Bushmaster Carbon?

Top Bottom