• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    As promised, photos from the fun at the (very cold) range at Atterbury today. Warning: There are 12 photos in this post.

I'm sure the boys can do a much better job of captioning these photos than I can. I would just like to say it was very very verycold. And slightly snowy. But the range is actually pretty awesome, and with less wind, more sun, and more heat, it'd be lots of fun to have a bigger group of us meet down there some day. :rockwoot:

So, first, the rifle range:
    pic-010.jpg

The pistol range:
    pic-011.jpg

Left to Right:
    Clay (cducati), Chatty and general PitA Range Manager whose name I don't remember, Lars (W9ZEB), and Clay's Dad (who is incredibly pleasant, btw):
    pic-012.jpg

Lars:
    pic-020.jpg

Lars again:
    pic-021.jpg

Checking out the targets:
    pic-031.jpg

Lars and Clay:
    pic-033.jpg

Lars:
    pic-034.jpg

Lars:
    pic-036.jpg

Clay:
    pic-061.jpg

And in case you missed it in the above photo, out of the 88 images I took, this is the only one that has a casing flying out to the side. This is the same photo, just cropped differently.
    pic-061b.jpg

And Clay again:
    pic-087.jpg

Last edited:

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    That guy was shooting a hand cannon..... Smith & Wesson .460 VXR Magnum.

Regarding rifle shooting. What I learned is... I an going to have to buy an AR-15. The Remington 700 with the hand loaded 300 win mags.... was a blast to shoot. I might have to consider a bolt action to get started with long range rifle shooting as well. I doubt I'll have something as nice as Clay's cannon anytime soon.

*shhhhh Don't tell Pami....* ;)

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Lars shooting Clay's Monster......
    pic-021.jpg

Remington 700, in 300 Win Mag.... Pure Evil..... I'm in love....
    pic-031.jpg

So I understand this thing is accurate at 1000 yards. Which means at 100 yards my putting 3 of 5 bullets through the hole Clay already put in the target isn't saying much for my shooting...... But I have to admit I think I'm in love.

This is by far the most powerful firearm I've ever fired. I'm sure those of you who have fired .338 Lapua Magnums, and .50 BMG are laughing right now, but to me, pulling the trigger on this rifle (if you can call... 2.5oz a trigger pull....) was like unleashing bottled hate. ;)

Anyway. Next project...... Research long range rifle shooting.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Pictures look like fun! Even in the cold.

Makes me get that long-distance, bolt-action, high-powered itch as well.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    As promised, photos from the fun at the (very cold) range at Atterbury today. Warning: There are 12 photos in this post. If you want to view them off-site you can go to: Photography by Pami :: 23 - Gun Shots 2008 - Thumbnail View
    I might add more to the gallery later.

I'm sure the boys can do a much better job of captioning these photos than I can. I would just like to say it was very very verycold. And slightly snowy. But the range is actually pretty awesome, and with less wind, more sun, and more heat, it'd be lots of fun to have a bigger group of us meet down there some day. :rockwoot:

I'd love to shoot with all you fine folks, but Atterbury will never get one more single cent of my hard-earned money. They took a good thing, got greedy and stupid, and turned it into a joke. If you would like to shoot elsewhere (preferably FA friendly) I'd be there in a heartbeat.

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Nice photos...quick question about Atterbury: with all that concrete, is is extra loud shooting there? Of course I always wear hearing protection, in fact both plugs and muffs, but they only provide so many dBs of reduction. I have notice that shooting in the open is much quieter than under cover.

cducati

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Before the rennovation Atterburry used to be a sh*t hole where aren moron with an AK could come to shoot. In the past I've see 2 guys almost shoot other shooters, a ton of accidental discharges and general disregard for safety.
    The benches were falling apart and the grounds was erroding.
    What a nightmare.
    It contributed to the pucblic's opinion of shooters as just "red neck with guns"

The new range:
    Concrete baffles, clearly defined firing line and safety lines, clearly defined hot and cold range periods, NRA instructors, target sales, ammunition sales.
    It's loud, but that's what hearing pretection is for.
    The baffles are to prevert "shooters" from taking pot shots at the water tower across the road and on post.
    I'll take the new range any day.

"Greedy"? How do you figure?
    Do you think that there's big money to be made from running a range?
    Its $14 an hour to shoot.

Last edited:

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    "Greedy"? How do you figure?
    Do you think that there's big money to be made from running a range?
    Its $14 an hour to shoot.

Actually I thought it was $7.50 an hour, with a two hour minimum. So $15 to shoot, but you get two hours for that.

I think Pami and I paid $30 total for 2 hours. I did like the range. I didn't see anything posted that made it look like suppressors weren't allowed. Although the 1 shot per second would rule out any full auto excursions.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    You and I and anyone who has ever bought guns or ammunition have already paid once for that range. Anyone else here who is an NRA member has already paid for that range once. (that makes twice now for some) The first time I went, on opening day, I couldn't believe it. It has to be the nicest range in Indiana. The cost then was $2/hr with 2 hr. minimum. Last time I went it was $7.50/hr with 2hr minimum and you had to pay $5 worth of a deposit on the target frames. The RO's are borderline incompetent, and most are downright unfriendly. I like the range how it is, I just wish it were managed differently.

cducati

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Ah, Some of the officers are great, and I have to aggree some are "borderline". :-)

FYI, I've shot surpressed rifles there. a 30 cal and 5.56
    I wish that the US took the same view of surpressors as other contries like Finalnd and Norway. They are encouraged and prefered! They cut down on the noise level when hunting a great deal. And anyone who's fired one with regular loads, knows there's nothing "silent" about it. With sub-sonic loads they are very impressive, though.

Top Bottom