Phosphate Bolt Carrier Key on a Hard Chromed Bolt Carrier?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Edit for clarification: I do not believe the person who sold this bolt carrier group to me was aware of this either which is why I did not call them out. I'm not upset with the seller and am still very happy that they sold me this BCG as it's very nice. The key is cheap and easily replaced so it's not a huge deal imho.

=============================

I picked up a Chromed Bolt Carrier Group and it doesn't seem I inspected it well enough before going through with it. [I'm new to AR's, so it's my fault for not checking/noticing this]. The bolt carrier key has a huge nick in the lip, looks like it was dropped down onto a hard surface as the burr was large. I removed the burr and smoothed out the surface but there's still a fairly decent piece of metal missing from the part of the key.

The carrier goes into position easily - I took the bolt out and tested to see how easily the carrier would slide in and it doesn't appear to be impacting the gas tube or to be getting hung up - but I'm not sure if this will cause issues in the future.

I have no issues swapping the key and staking it down, but I was wanting to know if there was a downside/issues with using a phoshpated bolt carrier key on a chromed carrier. It's a Young's Mfg National Match carrier and the key I am thinking about ordering is from Bravo Company. If anybody knows where I can get a chromed bolt carrier key - I'm all ears :).

I really don't care about them matching so long as it works but if I can get a matching chromed key, I will :).

Last edited:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Check your PM please.
    Got it and responded.

That said, I don't believe you intentionally passed me damaged goods - the damage was small enough to be easily overlooked and I didn't notice it until I was detail cleaning it to lube it up for first installation. If it were obvious damage not only should I have noticed it - but you would have noticed as well. I suspect the rifle will run just fine even in it's current state as I removed the burr and smoothed up that edge - but would prefer to just swap in an undamaged key :).

I now know to check that closely when acquiring a bolt carrier group, live and learn. Life is too short to get angry about such silly things. The key is cheap and easily replaced.

I've got a bolt carrier key on the way from Bravo Company, but am looking for a Chromed Key and have emailed Young MFG to see if they could provide me one.

All of the original questions still apply :).

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Anybody wanting to see the current damaged key:
    bck1.jpg

bck2.jpg

Bear in mind it was not this obvious when I received it because the huge burr was covering most of this up. It only became obvious upon close inspection while being cleaned.

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    there is no issue running a phosfate key on a chrome carrier been done many times

that said you might just run it as is if the damage is not significant

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    just saw your picture that will not cause a problem at all i would not change it out
    Yeah, the burr I removed most certainly would have caused a problem.

I suspect with proper gas tube and key alignment this is a non-issue but in the event that it does cause issues I'll have a spare key on-hand as well as an extra gas tube.

Ordered the Gas Key and a Gas Tube from Bravo Company.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bball4life1234
    Top Bottom