• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Newbomb92

Expert
    Rating - 88.5%
    23   3   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana
    My fiance is finally wanting to carry. We went out and she really liked the feel of the Keltec PF9. However I didn't like that it had no safety. She didn't like the feel of the PT111. She wants 9mm, she can handle my 6906's recoil so anything around that size 3-3.5'' barrel, 9mm. I may try to find a 908 local and see how she likes the grip of that. Do you guys have any suggestions to a gun with a similair grip to the PF9 that I can show her?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Why does it need a safety? Keep it holstered and don't put your finger on the trigger until you're ready to shoot.

It's got a pretty heavy trigger. As long as you keep the trigger covered properly, it doesn't require a safety.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Check out the Kahr PM9 w/external safety

Though I agree with the esteemed Scutter, no safety necessary as long as you keep the booger hook off the bang switch.

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    PF9 does not need a safety. It is double action only. I can think of no way the trigger could be pulled hard enough to fire the gun except by grip and squeeze. That makes it a heckuva good carry gun.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Check out the Taurus Slim

I'll agree with this here. After I got some practice with my 709 slim I can easily dump a whole mag rapid fire into a target the size of a head at 7 yards. Last weekend at the range I was using Osama Bin Laden targets, my friend that this was only her second time shooting was putting all her rounds in his chest and some in his head when I told her to try it. And I had no prob with all head shots. Good trigger, accurate with some good practice, lightweight, ext safety, and reliable. I don't remember having more than a jam or two out of it and I've put over 500 rounds through it since I bought it in Sept.

Newbomb92

Expert
    Rating - 88.5%
    23   3   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana
    She wants a gun with a safety and I agree too. We like external safeties.

I've never seen a 709 Slim in person, however I heard they have a bit more recoil than other comact 9mm's.

x2bax

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Indianapolis
    +1 on the Taurus 709 slim. I like it alot and it has the external saftey. I would recommend the stainless finsih if she plans on carrying it alot as I have had some rust issues with my blued slide, but from a firing and reliability stand point it has been fantastic.

swmp9jrm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    NCO
    Another +1 on the Taurus PT-709 Slim. I've got over 800 rounds of a dozen different types of FMJ and JHP through mine with no gun related issues, and it is my daily carry. I have not fired a PF-9, but I have handled several. The 709 has fewer 'sharp' edges and fits my hand better than the PF-9. It weighs slightly more, and is a skosh bigger, so the felt recoil should be at least a little more acceptable. There are a good number of posts about 709's with problems (mostly FTE), but you'll find the same thing with the PF-9 and most other sub-compacts.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    FWIW, I liked the PF9 feel over the 709, that's really made my mind up. Bradis had both and the Kahr to boot when I went in on a lark and ended up buying a gun (which happens not often enough).

rtfisher1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Anderson
    Just picked up a Taurus Slim last week and I love this gun! The grip is thin and as someone else posted this gun is accurate. I couldn't believe from about 25ft. I had 3 out of 7 shots actually clover leafed. The recoil is a little snappy but not bad. I shot about 125 rounds through in first sitting and could have easily gone to 250. This gun has second strike capability AND the external safety your looking for. Bud's guns online has them for $368 I believe. Most local shops are wanting around $400 or more as they are a hot item right now.

Todd

CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    Don't forget about the SCCY CPX-1, I had one at my shop earlier this year and it felt real nice, like a upgraded Kel-Tec PF9, consequently it sold within just a couple of weeks.

CPX1-TT-RIGHT-D.jpg

Good Luck!

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Had the 709 out last weekend

My son's fried bought a Taurus 709 for himself and I took him out to instruct and let him shoot it. It did fine. I like the fell of it and he was a bit suprised at the amount of recoil. He is not very accustomed to handguns and the pereception of recoil varies with the individual.

The Taurus is worth a look.

Terry

zlittell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    when i had my pf9 i couldnt accidentally pull the trigger if i tried. hell it was hard enough just to pull it when i wanted to

-zack-

Woo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    New Castle
    I have shot my pf-9 and a friends Slim side by side and I felt like the slim had less and a much smoother recoil. Just my 2cents. It seemed to be much more manageable.

That said I like my pf-9!

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Don't forget about the SCCY CPX-1, I had one at my shop earlier this year and it felt real nice, like a upgraded Kel-Tec PF9, consequently it sold within just a couple of weeks.

CPX1-TT-RIGHT-D.jpg

Good Luck!

+1 on the Sccy CPX1. I have one and I love it. The thing I did like most about it is the fact that it had a slide safety. I have a very early one in the first 1000 serial #s and will admit I had a few problems early on with feeding issues. I took it to my gunsmith and he just had to do some work on the feedramp. Cost me $25 and since then I have put around 1000 rounds through it with no problems at all. Again mine is a very early model and I have heard those issues have been taken care of, and I have spoken to several people who have them with no problems and love them too. Good luck with your decision.

If you are interested in handling one; I know ZX Guns in Goshen usually has alot of them. That is where I got mine a couple years ago and they always have alot of them at the Ft. Wayne gun shows.

Top Bottom