Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!

Monday, August 10, 2009
    foxnews_story.gif

PETA

An 'Unhappy Meal' from the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, which has been rankling parents who are disturbed by the bloody images intended for their children.

"Unhappy Meals" featuring a knife-wielding Ronald McDonald and bloody rubber chickens are upsetting parents who say the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals are unfairly targeting their kids at McDonald's restaurants across the country.
    PETA's "McCruelty Campaign" has ruffled the feathers of moms and dads in Albany who say they don't want their kids exposed to any throat-slitting chickens or pictures of slaughtered poultry.
    "I don't want my son to be around something like this. This is not fair for a child," Stephaine Gipson told FOX23 News in Albany.
    "I think it's unhappy that they target children," said parent Michelle Natale.
    But the animal rights activists say kids are jaded enough by television and video games to handle the carnographic images, and intend to continue their campaign pressuring McDonald's to use more humane means of killing chickens.
    "I think children and adults deserve to be told the truth — and that's that behind Ronald McDonald's smile is cruelty to animals," said PETA spokeswoman Lindsay Rajt.

Rajt said most parents are usually troubled by what PETA calls McDonald's cruel treatment of chickens, and said that kids who "naturally empathize" with animals enjoy PETA's presence outside the Golden Arches.
    "Kids are usually very excited to see the free T-shirts and they like our person in the chicken constume," Rajt said, referring either to the furry, friendly chick that visits some chains, or the full-grown fowl with murder in its eyes.
    A representative for McDonald's defended the franchise, saying it supports the use of a stunning technique that numbs its chickens before they are slaughtered.
    "McDonald's works with leading independent animal welfare experts and makes decisions based upon science to promote continuous improvement in animal welfare as part of our broader sustainable supply chain initiatives," said Bob Langert, McDonald's vice president of corporate social responsibility, in a statement to the blog Slashfood.

What a bunch of (Censored) :xmad:

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Peta at it again. The group of wackos that said the Holocaust was not that big a deal because there is a animal holocaust every day. THe group that compared children with rats. The group that said they would rather see elephants extinct than one hunted by humans.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I'm trying to think about I had would react if confronted by this particular campaign while walking into a McDonald's. I think I would probably just laugh and let it go, even if I had my family with me. Honestly, I have come to love PETA. They have reached a point with these campaigns that is actually quite humorous. I fear the fodder they provide for stand up comedians would be greatly missed if they were to stop what they are doing. Their antics have become so over the top its hard not to just laugh them off...give them one those "you're special" pats on the head.

So, keep up the good work PETA. Also, may I request more scantily clad models in cages. Those stories will always get a click through if I see them on a message board or a news aggregator.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I say we have a bbq in front of their headquarters. We can do the slaughter and all right in front of them.

Scarnucci

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    IN
    While I dont always agree with the way Peta operates, I do appreciate someone holding McDonald's feet to the fire. Its not just McD's...America's desire for cheap, fast food in general has led to the assembly line, factory like way our food is raised. I'm not anti-meat in the slightest, but I do want the meat I eat to be raised humanely and respectfully. Breeding chickens to grow so fast and disproportionate that they cannot walk without their legs breaking, debeaking them, raising them in filthy conditions is not respectful of the animal. In terms of beef, we force them to eat a diet that is nearly 100% corn based. Cows are ruminants that have evolved to digest grass, not corn. A diet of corn, however, forces a cow to put on as much weight in one year that it would gain in three years eating pasture grasses.

I wish I could say that I only ate food that came from small farms, or humanely raised animals. I try my best. I split a cow with co-workers every year or so. We get our eggs at the farmers market in season. Unfortunately we do buy most of our chicken from the grocery store.

I think if most people saw the way their food was raised and slaughtered, they would think twice about loading up their kids on McNuggets and happy meals.

Ohh, as an aside, a quote I saw recently said that the average package of ground beef at the grocery store likely has meat in it from 1000 different cows... I dont know how accurate that data is, but it does make you wonder...

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    OK, when I first read this I couldn't stop laughing. Chalk it up to my twisted sense of humor I guess. But you have to admit, there is something hysterical about Ronald McDonald possessed by PennyWise and wielding a knife while chasing chickens. :lmfao: Ok, in my head it was kinda funny. :popcorn:

But as a parent, if my kids were given this stuff, I'd be FURIOUS!!! :xmad: Although I empathize with their points, I don't think it's appropriate to involve children... especially with scare tactics. It's just wrong and PETA needs to back the h-e-double hockey stix off!

For what it's worth, I saw a documentary on KFC slaughter houses... I don't eat there any more. Just goes to show, sometimes ignorance is bliss. I do however hunt with my husband. It's a MUCH more humane way to gather food while keeping the species healthy at the same time. Although I feel a pang of sadness when I think of killing a living creature, the pang is quickly replaced with one heck of an adrenaline rush... and then some deer jerky. :D

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    Is Mcdonalds really selling this stuff? They are like bashing themselves if thats the case it doesn't make sense. They are making themselves look bad thats the only thing I don't understand about this.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    OK, when I first read this I couldn't stop laughing. Chalk it up to my twisted sense of humor I guess. But you have to admit, there is something hysterical about Ronald McDonald possessed by PennyWise and wielding a knife while chasing chickens. :lmfao: Ok, in my head it was kinda funny. :popcorn:

But as a parent, if my kids were given this stuff, I'd be FURIOUS!!! :xmad: Although I empathize with their points, I don't think it's appropriate to involve children... especially with scare tactics. It's just wrong and PETA needs to back the h-e-double hockey stix off!

For what it's worth, I saw a documentary on KFC slaughter houses... I don't eat there any more. Just goes to show, sometimes ignorance is bliss. I do however hunt with my husband. It's a MUCH more humane way to gather food while keeping the species healthy at the same time. Although I feel a pang of sadness when I think of killing a living creature, the pang is quickly replaced with one heck of an adrenaline rush... and then some deer jerky. :D

How about taking the kids somewhere OTHER than MickyDs or KFC?

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Ok. How about going - get the kid's meals without the kids, then transferring the contents to "unmarked" bags? (Or putting bags over their heads so they can't see the "dictator bags". :D)

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'm confused. How, exactly, are they distributing this material to the kids? Surely the food isn't being packaged in those wrappers. McDonald's would never allow that. And handing it out on-premises? Equally unlikely. If they're on public property outside the restaurant, can't you just be a parent and not let your kids have that stuff? Some wack-a-doodle walks up to my kid and tries to shove an "Unhappy meal" box in her face and there's gonna be a throw-down.

Top Bottom