personal protection handgun ammo stopping power?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LordTio3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    McCordsville
    Answer to your question...
    Yes. The .45 will stop someone better than a 9mm if everything else is equal.
    If you stand the same distance from 2 twin brothers, with a .45 in your right hand and a 9mm in your left and shoot them in the torso at the exact same place at the same time, the one with the larger wound that got hit with a larger round will tend to go down more quickly.

This is not the case in a real gun fight. What everyone has been saying is "Carry the largest caliber you shoot well." The key to this is "Shoot well" because shot placement is key. A hit with a .22 beats a miss with a .50 BMG. You've got to be able to make the shot, and probably multiple times in under a few seconds to survive. This equation includes 2 things. "Damage Dealt" and "Time Taken to make the Shot". Larger calibers generally have more recoil, and tend to be more difficult to shoot in a self defense/training situation: thus it may take you longer to Make the Shot, but when you do, you'll deal more trauma to the assailant. The 9mm is quite easy to learn to shoot well. You'll have more rounds available, and will, generally speaking, be more likely to be able to make the shot. But you won't deal as much damage, and may have to connect more times to bring them down.

Everything is a trade off. All things being equal, and they never are, bigger bullets tend to work better...
    ...But ammunition has come a long way over the years.

For clarification, I carry a 9mm and always have.
    ~LT

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Everything is a trade off. All things being equal, and they never are, bigger bullets tend to work better...
    ...But ammunition has come a long way over the years.

~LT

If we were talking about strictly ball I would agree but given that velocity enhances expansion of a good hp design I would say the higher velocity of the 9mm levels the playing field with the 45 to a large degree. The faster a bullet expands the faster it's greater diameter can do more damage.

I feel bullet design is even more important than caliber.

LordTio3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    McCordsville
    If we were talking about strictly ball I would agree but given that velocity enhances expansion of a good hp design I would say the higher velocity of the 9mm levels the playing field with the 45 to a large degree. The faster a bullet expands the faster it's greater diameter can do more damage.

I'll not argue on that point. That's really what I was trying to say what I said that "ammo has come a long way". I guess I should have elaborated a little more. Quite frankly, I wouldn't feel underprotected carrying a .380 with Gold Dot HP's these days.

-Agreed.
    ~LT

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008

Of course, the same advances that have made the 9mm a formidable round have at the same time also improved the .45 ACP. Gone are the days when expansion even with premium ammo is a "maybe" thing with the big, slow bullets. Modern .45 JHPs expand very well, through a variety of mediums and barriers.

I am in full agreement that bullet design is vital. It's turned the 9mm into a more than viable defensive round, and made the .45 even better than it already was.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I know many slam Evan Marshell and Ed Sanow but their books are the definitive works on the subject.

. . . So many well documented shootings for the data, you just can't argue with facts.

Oh, my. So much to say on this. But it just takes the thread too far afield. Must . . . refrain . . .

. . . I am in full agreement that bullet design is vital. It's turned the 9mm into a more than viable defensive round, and made the .45 even better than it already was.

Wholeheartedly agree.. The best modern loads in 9mm give it the mechanical capability to do the job when placed adequately (as all handgun rounds must be). The thing with 9mm is, and I'm not bashing it (I like the 9), there are probably more poor loads around for 9mm than any of the duty calibers.

So, choose wisely. :oldwise:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    If you can't hit what you need to hit, you've got the wrong gun, wrong ammo or it's in the wrong hands no matter what you read on the internet. That's a pretty simple fact.

There's no such thing as "stopping power". That's a fact its a bogus term used as propaganda when a writer has nothing useful to say.

As for gun fights, if a 9mm is better than a 45 acp then a 380 or 25 should be even better than the 9. I hope any one I'm ever in a gun fight against is subscribing to the smaller is better theory and I'm all for it. Any one I've never met in person, I highly recomend you go with the 25 acp.

rcflyer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    9 Shot 22LR snubby. Shoot it all the time because ammo is cheap. Very proficient with it because I practice so much. Several 22's in the head has pretty good stopping power. By the time you shoot your big ass .45 and miss(which in a real gun fight you probably wlll) . I put 4-5 22's between your eyes.Good night Irene.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    9 Shot 22LR snubby. Shoot it all the time because ammo is cheap. Very proficient with it because I practice so much. Several 22's in the head has pretty good stopping power. By the time you shoot your big ass .45 and miss(which in a real gun fight you probably wlll) . I put 4-5 22's between your eyes.Good night Irene.

I can see how you would be the best judge of what you are capable of handling but what makes you think you would also be the best judge of what I am capable of? I don't think we have ever met have we?

Last edited:

bigmedicine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood
    I've spent the better part of my life either in school or practicing medicine. I have had the "pleasure" of seeing people shot with a variety of weapons. You can study various aspects of engineering, physics, and medicine and all will augment your positions nicely. I don't know any of the premier researchers in the 'stopping power' arena. All I do know for certain is that I do NOT want to be shot through the sternum with ANY premium hollowpoint from ANY platform. Regardless of what you see on TV or in the movies, it pretty much translates into goodnight gracie! All common sense has taught me is that I don't want to get shot :)

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Arguements...arguements...all are just arguements for what one believes.

1. No one...and I mean no one, is going to stand there and place 4-5 .22lr's 'between the eyes' in a real gunfight...I'd say that you're not awake yet...if it'd be me, I'd be moving around, not standing still making myself a fixed target.

2. Shot placement is key...followed closely by penetration (depth of 12"+ is necessary).

3. The last few guys that FWPD shot (and killed) were with 9mm Glocks.

4. Twenty years ago...9mm hardball was not that effective and the .45 vs 9mm arguement was simple....45 won! Nowadays, with the improvements in ammo of all types, 9mm is sufficient (barely) & effective enough to be considered a valid carry / PD round...plus most handguns will let you carry plenty of them.

5. I believe in the 5-rounds at 5 yards in a 5" group (in a real gunfight, I'd be lucky to hit the BG twice...acknowledged) but with a .357 magnum, guaranteeing sufficient penetration, should I be fortunate enough to achieve a center-mass hit. If my revolver doesn't get it, my .357SIG (G-32) will work...and it's really a 9mm bullet...it's just going really fast!

6. My wife carries a Ruger SP101 in .38+P...and my summer gun is a Ruger LCR in .38+P...with Federals, CorBon's, or Hornady's...I feel more than safe carrying either of those revolvers.

Last edited:

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    Well I have read through all the post now after having started this whole deal. I do appreciate all your thoughts on the subject.

After thinking these things through I have made what I believe to be the right decision for me. I love all calibers but for my carry weapon I can buy many more 9mm than .357, .38, .44, .45 or other larger, more expensive rounds. Therefore I can practice more with the funds I have. I believe that will translate into better shot placement which in the end (obviously) is the most important aspect of this whole subject.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Well I have read through all the post now after having started this whole deal. I do appreciate all your thoughts on the subject.

After thinking these things through I have made what I believe to be the right decision for me. I love all calibers but for my carry weapon I can buy many more 9mm than .357, .38, .44, .45 or other larger, more expensive rounds. Therefore I can practice more with the funds I have. I believe that will translate into better shot placement which in the end (obviously) is the most important aspect of this whole subject.

You bring up another consideration that is worth mentioning when discussing caliber. Is the fact that 9mm is so much more cost effective going to allow you to become more effective with it? Is it worth it to carry a smaller bullet? You've answered those questions for yourself. Everyone has to make that choice. I'll admit that even as a die hard .45 man I do a lot of my practicing with more inexpensive calibers.

rcflyer said:

:rolleyes: We'll just pretend that you forgot the purple text.

451-Detonics said:

Cross sectional density determines expanded diameter not velocity. There simply isn't enough bullet there to make a 9mm expand as much as a .45acp. Actually, expansion increases the width disparity between the two. Besides, projectiles are designed to expand within a given velocity range. Pushing a bullet faster then the velocity range it was designed for can make it shed its jacket or just plain come apart. Feel free to reference any of the plethora of gel tests readily available on the internet to confirm this.

mastery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Here
    I'll take a .22 with one round, over a .45 with a thousand rounds...if you are only a good shot with the .22, and lousy with the .45, get whatever you shoot the best. Shot placement wins over shot volume.

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    All of the service calibers do fine!

9mm, .40, .357 SIG/ Magnum, .45, 10mm all do the job with good placement.

And if one doesn't stop 'em, hit 'em again until they do stop.

Simple, really.

Vanguard.45

Top Bottom