• Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    .45acp

Federal Hydra Shok (old style) when I remember to change mags.

More often, I deal with critters around the home place, so I'm loaded with 230gn LRN, which I cast, over 5.2gn Bullseye and a standard LPP.

Most of the time, I just don't bother changing out. Those suckers are really moving and I can place them quickly. I get no muzzle flash with the BE powder as it burns very quickly.

I've never heard of the use of hand loads being used against anyone in court, and believe me, I've looked.

Besides, they're not all that much more powerful than military ball.

If you believe M&S ratings, these run about 63% OSS, about the same as a good hollowpoint in a .38spl.

They have about the same disruptive properties in milk jugs as do 9mm HP. It appears that in the first 6" jug most turn base forward. Can't prove it except for a couple keyholes and wadcutter type profile holes on the second jug.

But if we're talking factory ammo, I'll go with Hydra-Shok when I can find it.

Josh <><

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    9x18/9x19 and higher get JHP's. Below get FMJ's.

Brands? Just about anything. I scored a few hundred rounds of quikshok's a year ago so I carry them now.

Working in a lvl 1 trauma center in chicago, JHP's make the difference. As to which 'brand' is better? It's a crap shoot on any given day and in my real life experiecnes there is no way to justify the added expense of top end hollow points vs the 100 round remington bulk pack hollow points.

Top Bottom