29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I've got another robber working that area who's using a tube fed rifle of some sort. Handguns are still the most common, but long guns do make appearances.

Would you say they are becoming more prevalent or does it just appear that way due to the media focusing on it?

I ask as I know of a LOT of shootings, self defense or even just an attempted attack/robbery that was chased off at gunpoint, that don't make the news because of media focus.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Would you say they are becoming more prevalent or does it just appear that way due to the media focusing on it?

I ask as I know of a LOT of shootings, self defense or even just an attempted attack/robbery that was chased off at gunpoint, that don't make the news because of media focus.

Neither. This wouldn't have made the news if it wasn't a police action shooting. There have been several robberies and homicides using rifles lately that didn't make a blip in the news.

I don't know that *I* can say they are becoming more prevalent. I mean, if you go from one a month to two a month then the instances have doubled, but its such a small sample size that it could just be a blip. I'm too busy to count all the beans myself, but my hunch is there's a slight increase among robbers. The folks who *do* count the beans say that long gun use is on the rise, but I don't know if that's a function of percentages or total instances or what.

What I do know is I bought a plate carrier and rifle rated plates. I never felt a need for them before this year. That may not be a hard numbers answer, but its where I'm at right now.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood

CarnageRush

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harrison County
    While not a local event, I'm reminded of this robbery where a fellow uses a mosin nagant. He's holding the receiver so close to his chest, it looks like he must have cut the stock off. ouch!

EPD Looking for Repeat Suspect in Armed Stop 'n' Shop Robberies | Lost Coast Outpost | Humboldt County

He should have made an obrez.

640px-%D0%9E%D0%B1%D1%80%D0%B5%D0%B7_7.62-%D0%BC%D0%BC_%D0%B2%D0%B8%D0%BD%D1%82%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%BA%D0%B8_%D0%BE%D0%B1%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%B7%D1%86%D0%B0_1891_%D0%B3%D0%BE%D0%B4%D0%B0.jpg

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    This just proves how much more dangerous military-style weapons are than any other kind. Wait...it doesn't do that at all.

arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel
    I thought that looked like a Yugo SKS with the grenade launcher. Looked too long to be just a muzzle brake/flash hider. But then I thought, "surely not"...
    The muzzle attachment for the Yugo SKS actually is the grenade launcher, but you'd probably have quite a time trying to find the rifle grenades to use it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    What the heck was that blathering about giving up a zip code? I know what he intended to convey, but where in the world did it come from?

I'm sure he hears the criticism that the city is only concerned with its "downtown" image, to the perceived detriment of the high crime neighborhoods (ie. the 38th street corridor). Perhaps he was trying to deflect that criticism. Some people still believe that the police can actually prevent crime I guess.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Smart, alert police work.

What the heck was that blathering about giving up a zip code?

Some have criticized IMPD for "reduced presence" in certain neighborhoods so they can protect the flagpole of downtown.

That's the criticism, I do not know if it is a correct criticism or not.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Smart, alert police work.

Some have criticized IMPD for "reduced presence" in certain neighborhoods so they can protect the flagpole of downtown.

That's the criticism, I do not know if it is a correct criticism or not.

If by 'certain neighborhoods', they mean 'Marion County', then its absolutely correct. You can't go years without hiring and keep the same number of officers, no matter how you reshuffle them. You also can't staff large events like the Indy 500 and Black Expo with on duty guys (so no overtime is paid) and not pull from the districts to man them, although they have gotten better about pulling admin people out to direct traffic and the like.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Yes, I understand the point he was trying to make, but as it relates to this case, has the issue of selective police coverage come up? His comments were the only part of the article that addressed it (or so I thought, I may have missed the part describing the public complaint). It just seems random to the specific incident.

EDIT: And I'll add that while I have some sharp criticism for a few specific officers who have responded to crimes/incidents in these "certain neighborhoods" in which I have been involved, I would never say that there was anything close to favoritism or outright disregard for some areas. Granted, my rental's area may not be in the area people think are being ignored, but I sure consider it one of Indy's high crime areas. It ain't the worst, but it sure as heck ain't what I would consider family-friendly either.

Top Bottom