• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • acelungger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    I see a lot of first time hand gun buyers buying Glock's. They are a simple gun and for sure not a target gun! Bought my first 1911 in 1973 and it flat had the rattles:): and I thought that I was the King of the Hill :draw: and ever since I have owned one or two or :ar15::ar15:
    A few years ago a friend offered to let me shoot his Glock, I put it in my hand :noway: I have small hands and it felt like a club. I fired one shot and handed it back to my friend, and he said what's wrong and I said nothing was wrong I just couldn't stand the way it felt and that funky trigger :dunno:. I hate to say this but last Jan. I had a chance to steal a New XD and couldn't pass it up I knew i could make a little on it. The next day i went out to shoot it, I couldn't believe the sight picture it was perfect, it is a tack driver, but being a 100% 1911 guy I sold the XD! My biggest reason for selling it was: I new if I had to grab a pistol to defend myself and family I would grab my Colt Officers model, I have owned it for 20 years and it hits the spot on every time :D:D
    The way I look at it:If you like a Glock that is cool with me.
    later
    Greg

scott delaney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    imho.....glocks got there rep from the movies.....but since im not a BG and dont hold my hand gun side ways......i carry a XDm....lol

stirring the pot!:laugh:

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    I MIGHT believe Glocks were "perfect" if they....

fit folks with really small hands (and yes I tried the smallest back piece on a Gen4)....and IF they didn't come with a crappy plastic U-notch set of sights standard.

Two problems readily solved with an XDm...AKA the Glock perfected.

:):

:popcorn:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    1911 fan boys always have a tissue and lotion sitting next to their 1911. Just in case ;)

Glock fan boys dig up their buried Glocks when it's time for war.

:D

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    had a Wilson, sold it. Still have the Glocks.

Shoot what you like, and don't worry about what everyone else has.

Most people spend more time talkin sheet about their guns than they do shooting them. Find what fits you and spend your time and money on ammo and training.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    had a Wilson, sold it. Still have the Glocks.

Shoot what you like, and don't worry about what everyone else has.

Most people spend more time talkin sheet about their guns than they do shooting them. Find what fits you and spend your time and money on ammo and training.

i still got it!!!....i'm sure glad you like Glocks!!!!...:D

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I don't know............

GLOCKS are good guns. Whatever Generation. So are many, many other brand names.

Most of them do change or evolve during the years. My current 1911 is a government issue made in 1918. A LOT different than the Dan Wesson Bobtail I was eyeballing yesterday.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I MIGHT believe Glocks were "perfect" if they....

fit folks with really small hands (and yes I tried the smallest back piece on a Gen4)....and IF they didn't come with a crappy plastic U-notch set of sights standard.

Two problems readily solved with an XDm...AKA the Glock perfected.

:):

:popcorn:

My 5'4" girlfriend shoots her Glock 21 better than any gun she's shot... I'll let her know that her small hands don't work with it.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Well you can't go by height (I'm also 5'4 -barely). It's really a finger length thing. I bet she don't have the stubby "sausages" I got for fingers!

:D

Yeah, I know, but it irks me when people use the "doesn't work for people with small hands" line because that's just not the case and can turn away people from a gun that might actually fit them very well. Her G21 is the regular model and not the SF. She had a G36 which arguably has the smallest grip of any Glock and it didn't fit her very well. She doesn't have larger hands or long fingers either, her overall hand size and finger length is proportional for her size and frame (she's not a big person).

I have wide hands with average length fingers for someone my height (5'7") and my G20 and 21 fit very well.

In 1991 or thereabouts I went to the range with my boss and fired his G17. For a gun I'd never handled before, I shot it better than any of my previous carry guns with which I'd practiced regularly, including a couple of different 1911s. It just fit my hand in a natural way.

The main reason I am a Glock fan as opposed to just a Glock owner, is because they make 10mm. Yeah, I can get a 1911 in 10mm, but I can't shoot a 1911 nearly as well as I can a Glock, the Glock fits my hand better, I get more rounds, and for the price of one 1911 I can get two G20 or 29s. I also am very hard on my equipment and it hurts much less to bang up and scratch a $500 gun than a $1100 one.

I own a G21 and a G36 (and eventually a G30) because I like the .45acp round, and by having them in the Glock platform I get it in guns that I already have great body memory with.

I don't really give a rat's ass what gun someone carries as long as it is reliable and they are comfortable shooting it. In the end that is really the only criteria that matters one whit, and to that end, fanboys and crap stirrers aside, brand of gun of style of gun makes no difference at all as long as it meets the criteria.

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    Interesting observations. I tell you though I'm not sure there is such as thing as "average size hands for a given height". I've had this problem for so long that I actually have looked/compared a LOT of folks finger length/hand size as we've handled various guns. There is a HUGE span of different hand sizes and finger lengths and it has very little to do with overall body size. Remember when you are measuring in such small (MMs) increments it takes a LOT before a hand/finger looks oddly disproportional on a given person's body.

Also I should mention that a LOT of people seem to think they have "small hands" until they hold them up to mine....and then their like "I guess I DON'T have such small hands!".

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Interesting observations. I tell you though I'm not sure there is such as thing as "average size hands for a given height". I've had this problem for so long that I actually have looked/compared a LOT of folks finger length/hand size as we've handled various guns. There is a HUGE span of different hand sizes and finger lengths and it has very little to do with overall body size. Remember when you are measuring in such small (MMs) increments it takes a LOT before a hand/finger looks oddly disproportional on a given person's body.

Also I should mention that a LOT of people seem to think they have "small hands" until they hold them up to mine....and then their like "I guess I DON'T have such small hands!".

I too have a pretty good idea of what average is, I own a company that manufactures clothing and spend a lot of time doing custom sizing since there's a lot of people proportionally away from average ;).

But that gets to my point. YOU may have finger length proportional to body size that is 2nd or 3rd sigma below the mean, but that's not the same as "small hands." And since most people who feel they have small hands really do have hands smaller than average, simply repeating the mantra "don't fit small hands" is doing a disservice to folks who listen to that and don't try something for themselves to see what fits. If you'd asked me if a G21 would fit my GF's hands before she shot the one I bought I would have said "no way." But after she picked mine up and proceeded to run a magazine through and be on paper with all shots at 10 yards which is something she'd never done before in a couple of thousand rounds of shooting various guns, she had to have one.

garyindiane

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    Bright, Dearborn County
    I tried like hell to buy a glock the last time I went shopping mainly because of the reliability and accuracy I keep hearing about on here. I held 5 differnt models and I felt like I had to reach for the trigger:dunno:
    The grip angle felt ok but I just could not reach the trigger well. I ended up buying a XD-9 and am very happy with it.

So I guess I am one of those people who can not reach the trigger:D

-Gary

Wow that was my 100 Post...

Top Bottom