• ...and so much more!
  • JohnMcClane

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2014
    Indy
    Craigslist car sale goes awry, leads to arrest | WISHTV.com

"Police say a man claiming to be interested in buying a Dodge Charger on Craigslist, took the car for a test drive, and took the car’s owner along for the ride. The problem started when the buyer refused to let the owner out of the car."
    "The victim told police he wanted Forbes to drive back to his home, and he refused. The victim was armed with a gun and finally got Forbes to stop on the interstate."

That could have been a lot worse... wait!?!?! a gun may have saved his life????? ya don't say...

It doesn't say in this article whether the victim held the attacker until police arrived or whether he just got out of the car and the police caught up to the criminal and the car later...

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    The victim invited the buyer to his house to start the test drive??? They were there for "hours" before the test drive started???

Wow, the seller needs to grow some Spidey senses.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Quick glance at the IC, appears to be a class C felony if using a motor vehicle (just a class D felony if not using a gun or vehicle). Class B if the confiner is using a deadly weapon.

Guess use of force to prevent a forcible felony is alright (or enact a citizen's arrest or stop the felony from continuing)...

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    The victim is my best friend I thought of starting a thread on this but got beat to it. Hes real shaken up still. Hes got a new wife with a baby at home. Just a couple months ago a few guys from Indy came down to our town and home invaded and tied up two elderly people and put knives to their throats. Its seems that this kind of thing is getting more common.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    Quick glance at the IC, appears to be a class C felony if using a motor vehicle (just a class D felony if not using a gun or vehicle). Class B if the confiner is using a deadly weapon.

Guess use of force to prevent a forcible felony is alright (or enact a citizen's arrest or stop the felony from continuing)...

Would it not also fit strong arm car-jacking?

darinb, sorry to hear of it. Good thing he was armed, who knows how things would have gone otherwise.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The victim is my best friend I thought of starting a thread on this but got beat to it. Hes real shaken up still. Hes got a new wife with a baby at home. Just a couple months ago a few guys from Indy came down to our town and home invaded and tied up two elderly people and put knives to their throats. Its seems that this kind of thing is getting more common.

Sorry this happened to your friend!

If you can answer, what's the deal with the part in the story on the web site saying that the criminal was at your friends house for "hours"? Was that inaccurate, or if it was accurate . . .???

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    Sorry this happened to your friend!

If you can answer, what's the deal with the part in the story on the web site saying that the criminal was at your friends house for "hours"? Was that inaccurate, or if it was accurate . . .???

I honestly haven't asked him details since being a veteran I know you just don't ask about traumatic events antil someone has time to calm and is emotionally ready to talk. Hes really shaken up and coincidentally had an attempted home invasion just last weekafter that I helped him install a camera system and alarm and now this happens so I can see why he isn't ready to talk about this. Im there for him if he needs me. Another complication factor is hes getting a lot of criticism for not "blowing the guy away" and your "stupid" for letting him be on your property for x amount of time from people and I think that is counter productive. After all many of us show up and meet a complete strangers (other than a PM) at our homes or other places and trade/buy/sell firearms. His newlywed wife with a new baby is very distraught also and he just got switched to nightshift so I only ask that everyone prays for him if you believe in that or send positive thoughts his way. He is a good husband and father and stand up guy regardless of what you think his actions should have been. Im just glad he had a gun or things likely wouldn't have turned out the same.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I honestly haven't asked him details since being a veteran I know you just don't ask about traumatic events antil someone has time to calm and is emotionally ready to talk. Hes really shaken up and coincidentally had an attempted home invasion just last weekafter that I helped him install a camera system and alarm and now this happens so I can see why he isn't ready to talk about this. Im there for him if he needs me. Another complication factor is hes getting a lot of criticism for not "blowing the guy away" and your "stupid" for letting him be on your property for x amount of time from people and I think that is counter productive. After all many of us show up and meet a complete strangers (other than a PM) at our homes or other places and trade/buy/sell firearms. His newlywed wife with a new baby is very distraught also and he just got switched to nightshift so I only ask that everyone prays for him if you believe in that or send positive thoughts his way. He is a good husband and father and stand up guy regardless of what you think his actions should have been. Im just glad he had a gun or things likely wouldn't have turned out the same.

I guess I stepped in it with my "spidey senses" comment there and I apologize for that. I wasn't trying to put the victim down. I was just trying to remind us all how we have to remain vigilant and not let our guard down, especially when meeting strangers. I've bought/sold guns from the classifieds here and bought/sold other stuff face-to-face off craigslist with no trouble but all you have to do is cross paths with the wrong person and things can go bad in a hurry.

I sincerely hope your friend recovers from his ordeal and I wish him and his family the best.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

What....wait, violent crime.......Statistics say that is decreasing rapidly.......:dunno:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

The family is in our thoughts and prayers.

Just a note....PM's with ingo people are nothing at all like meeting absolute strangers off craigslist. They are complete polar opposites. With all that has occurred around Craigslist we all need to be far more careful. I would never allow someone like that (Craigslist etc.) to know where I live if possible. Just saying....dangerous times.

Motorhead302

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Fulton County
    good on him for making it out ok, and having the presence of mind to carry when meeting a stranger. i hate to imagine what could've happened if he hadn't been.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    He walked away from the incident, always the #1 goal. When I was younger I might have thought different, however now that I have kids, surviving is top priority.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Glad he is alright.

I wish the article was a bit more complete. I am guessing more happened than just "he refused" to drive him home.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    The family is in our thoughts and prayers.

Just a note....PM's with ingo people are nothing at all like meeting absolute strangers off craigslist. They are complete polar opposites. With all that has occurred around Craigslist we all need to be far more careful. I would never allow someone like that (Craigslist etc.) to know where I live if possible. Just saying....dangerous times.

I get where your coming from and i agree but to me its not different. Because someone contacts through PM and has a similar interest in firearms or whatever doesnt make them trustworthy. I do like that INGO has a rep system and you can access members posts and get a feel of who they "say" they are but in reality you could show up and they couldve been lying to you and all that would happen is the member would simply stop posting and disappear after they victimized or robbed,etc you. To me an INGO pm and email,texts,etc from someone on craiglist or whatever is one in the same because when its all said and done you have to take the other person at their word. This is the internet and accountability isnt able to truly be established. Just my .02 and please dont take my comments negatively.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I get where your coming from and i agree but to me its not different. Because someone contacts through PM and has a similar interest in firearms or whatever doesnt make them trustworthy. I do like that INGO has a rep system and you can access members posts and get a feel of who they "say" they are but in reality you could show up and they couldve been lying to you and all that would happen is the member would simply stop posting and disappear after they victimized or robbed,etc you. To me an INGO pm and email,texts,etc from someone on craiglist or whatever is one in the same because when its all said and done you have to take the other person at their word. This is the internet and accountability isnt able to truly be established. Just my .02 and please dont take my comments negatively.

Not at all. I see your point and we all look at things through our own eyes.
    but ingo is a place easy to vet who you are dealing with. I have had issues in other forums but nothing like this. I have ignored people that set off my spidey sense and have walked away from a FTF when things were just not right.

I think the lesson to take from this is be aware. People are not as honorable as they once were. Still a lot of "Good" folks around but man the A$$ hats are crawling out of the sewers.

Top Bottom