• churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    And that ads to losing the battle.

I get both sides of it, but as one member put it it comes down the the rules. A private owner of a site could say everyone there has to agree Obama is not anti gun. I would think they were a moron, tell them as much and get banned, but they could do that.

True but why would you choose to stay on a site like that.

Yes, things have changed around here lately. Yes, the world is leaning way over to the left or so the media would have you believe. Do you stand your ground and make a point only to be banned.

Or, do you stay and try to persuade from within. If you change one mind you have succeeded.

Choose your battles.

As to respecting others in their homes....Just the way I was raised.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hey, PM me for a good site where you can talk about guns and religion all you want. There are lots of Obama supporters there.

:laugh:

I was looking for the emoticon that was poking the poop pile...it must not have made the cut with the new format or I am thinking about that other Obama loving religious site...........:dunno:

copperhead-1911

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2013
    New Castle
    True but why would you choose to stay on a site like that.

Yes, things have changed around here lately. Yes, the world is leaning way over to the left or so the media would have you believe. Do you stand your ground and make a point only to be banned.

Or, do you stay and try to persuade from within. If you change one mind you have succeeded.

Choose your battles.

As to respecting others in their homes....Just the way I was raised.

That was just an example.

If that did happen as I told the site owner off in that hypothetical case I am sure they would ban me.

Especially if i called them a bully, said they probably had a small penis and liked throwing weight around.

I AM NOT SAYING THAT ABOUT INGUNOWNERS The site does allow a good bit of freedom.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    It's amazes me out off topic some of this post has gone. From funny to sad to down right stupid and disturbing. I was just making a point about what we do as gun owners can effect how some people will thing about guns. And that it may be negative.

I respect my sisters rules at her house. I offered to leave. I respect that rule everwhere I go. As I said respect her opinion too. I don't agree but that's ok. We still love each other. All is well in the family. I am hopeful that maybe she will loosen up and maybe go shooting with my sister-in-law. My daughter loves to shoot. Until a few months ago she wasn't very thrilled about guns either. After her first range trip she is a mini Anne Oakley wanna be! She now asks me if I want to go to the range! I love it. I really enjoy taking my son and daughter both ro the range. It has cost me though. Two rifles and a pistol. But that is ok. I am lucky that I can afford it. My daughter turns 18 in Feb and I promised her a hand gun and a gun safety course for her birthday!

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    With the risk of adding to the original story. I have one of me own.
    my father took me out shooting for the first time when I was ten. Went out to his friends house who owned a decent piece of land. Dad let me carry his h and r single shot 20 gauge. We get to the spot where we are going to shoot, and dad says are you ready? I said I guess. He fires a round from his 12 gauge. It scared the crap out of me.(no ear pro). He looks at me and can see I am scared. He tells me to shoulder the weapon. Once I have it up there he tells me to pull it away from my shoulder about an inch. At this point he puts a round in for me closes the chamber sets the hammer and tells me to pull the trigger. I do. What I feel next can only be described as being hit in the shoulder with a baseball bat. My eyes immediately teared up from the pain. He looks at me and says "how did that feel?" I said fine with a whimper in my voice. He said good, that is how you don't shoot it. You don't need to be afraid anymore cause that was the worst case scenario. It will only get better from here. I learned a valuable lesson that day.
    Dad is an ass.
    Years later I asked him why he did that to me. And he told me that was how his grandfather taught him. Except he learned with a 10 gauge.
    on the other hand maybe it worked, cause I have yet to run into a gun I am unwilling to shoot. The fear is gone.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I think you can get away starting a boy out like that. Most boys are eager/willing to learn about guns that it would take a lot to turn them away from them. That would have killed any chance of teaching my wife or daughters about guns though.

opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    I was looking for the emoticon that was poking the poop pile........:dunno:

Here ya go..... :)

****.gif

======================================
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss
    You can NEVER be too rich or too thin.
    Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours...
    Perfection: is not a goal---it's a demanded expectation.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I started my son out on a single shot bolt 22lr. He still likes to take it to the range. He has shot everything but my DE-50ae, Mosin and AR50. He regulary shoots my 30-06 and 12ga shotgun. He could shoot the Mosin and the AR50. He is a big boy but I don't think he is ready to shoot the DE. He would have a hard time holding on to it. He shoots my 44mag 9-1/2 inch Super Redhawk easily but weight of the barrel helps with recoil. My daughter has shot the 30-06 and my 357mag and smaller guns, They both started small and slowly worked there way up in caliber. I enjoy watching them shoot but don't want them to hurt and be fearful.

My boy has shot my 12 to the point of bruising but he was determined to hit target. I stopped him. He paid for a it a little but the next range trip and he was ready to go again. I have worked with him on how he holds it. He has no issues as long as he holds it proper. My SIL is a little Chinese gal. she might weigh a buck and a quarter. She loves to shoot the 50bmg and my 30-06. I have video some where. I will have to post it.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I've taken a few people to the range for the first time. In every case, I start them with a Walther P22, proper eyepro, proper earpro (plugs AND muffs) and a suppressor on the barrel. We go over the Four Rules in great detail before we ever get there and then again when we are. They have seen the gun away from the range, had the chance to dry fire it (with an "action proving" dummy round in the chamber) while pointed in a safe direction. They know everything that's going to happen before it happens. And they get one round at a time until *I'M* satisfied that they're not going to turn around with a loaded handgun. I like reactive targets, but I can't use anything very messy at the indoor range I used to belong to.
    My favorite student is my lovely wife. She originally was not pro-gun. Not anti-, as in "no one should have them", but not pro-, as in, "I don't like them and I don't want one or anything to do with it." Finally, after slow and steady mentions and descriptions of how much fun I had going to shoot, she wanted to go. I set up a time when the range was likely to be less busy, went through everything with her, and made sure she was absolutely clear what would happen. I didn't yet have a suppressor. Target was at about 3 yds, and big. There was no way I was going to let her completely miss the first shot. She didn't. She fired it, the noise scared her, and in her words, "I started crying, climbed up his body and perched on top of his head and demanded to be taken home immediately."
    I did manage to calm her down and start putting things away, as I'd promised her I'd do, when someOne upstairs was looking out for us. Another woman entered the range and set up with her .270 rifle. Big boom. And another. Her competitive nature had kicked in. My dear wife looked at me and said, "Let me try it again." And every time the other woman fired, so did she, and as soon as I was comfortable with it, she got a full mag and emptied it. Of note: We all know the target with the big bad guy with the revolver pointed at the shooter printed on it... I had told her not to try to aim for the gun, that that was movie nonsense, that she should aim to stop the threat and aim for center mass. She put a round right down the barrel of the BG's handgun, six in the chest, two in the head, and with her last shot, she shot him in his naughties.

Today, my wife, 7th Stepper here on INGO, is the proud holder of her own LTCH and has a pistol she's lovingly named, "Betsy".

We've all laughed at the video of the woman who is handed a Deagle and told to put her tongue back in her mouth before she fires that .50 cal. monster, only to have the barrel smack her squarely on the bridge of her nose. In the abstract, yes, that's funny. When you think about the damage that idiot could have done, however, the laughing stops. You may get a few yuks out of seeing that happen, but actions like that are irresponsible and unnecessarily cruel, not to mention moronic. How much better to show the woman you love that you love and trust her and give her the knowledge and the means with which to defend herself.

Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    We've all laughed at the video of the woman who is handed a Deagle and told to put her tongue back in her mouth before she fires that .50 cal. monster, only to have the barrel smack her squarely on the bridge of her nose. In the abstract, yes, that's funny. When you think about the damage that idiot could have done, however, the laughing stops. You may get a few yuks out of seeing that happen, but actions like that are irresponsible and unnecessarily cruel, not to mention moronic. How much better to show the woman you love that you love and trust her and give her the knowledge and the means with which to defend herself.

Blessings,
    Bill

Actually, as a range officer on the weekends, that video infuriated me as sometimes I see people do similar things without thinking about it. "Here honey, you've never shot a gun before, shoot this Kimber CDP that I've undersprung with .45 Super" kind of mentality. While that's an extreme false example, it's similar to the mindset many of these people have.

They think that it doesn't matter, they will always be there to protect the family. They think that they'll never have to use a gun, use statistics as the most powerful weapon (the chances of being mugged, raped, etc...) or my fav, "That never happens here". These are the same morons that think that men can't cry and that a woman's place is 3 steps behind and one to the left of their "man". They want to humiliate their wife/loved one b/c they think if they learn how to shoot, their last bastion of power and control over her is lost. It's a power thing, a control thing and unfortunately, from my experience working at a range: All too common with our group.

I think Richarddraw's story highlights the asinine nature of shooters when it comes to private instruction, family teaching family. My father did it, my grandfather did it, etc... so I have to do it. Idiocy and the chances of ruining someone who can be a natural shooter are VERY high with that methodology. My actual father never did something that stupid. Granted, he started me out on .38 and would not let me leave until I could hit a 3x5" card at 25 yards, but the concept is better than making them do something the wrong way to show them it's the wrong way.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    When you teach a student, you want to challenge him. You want to make him tough, but to do that, you have to give him a skill base and some confidence first before "taking him out of the zone of comfort." There is no zone of comfort on the first day, because the student is brand new, a complete novice. Taking advantage of the student's trust in you to set him up to get hurt is abuse. Starting a shooting lesson with an abusive act doesn't toughen the student. Something like that is meant to reinforce your authority... as an a$$h*le.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    ... I did manage to calm her down and start putting things away, as I'd promised her I'd do, when someOne upstairs was looking out for us. Another woman entered the range and set up with her .270 rifle. Big boom. And another. Her competitive nature had kicked in. My dear wife looked at me and said, "Let me try it again." And every time the other woman fired, so did she, and as soon as I was comfortable with it, she got a full mag and emptied it. Of note: We all know the target with the big bad guy with the revolver pointed at the shooter printed on it... I had told her not to try to aim for the gun, that that was movie nonsense, that she should aim to stop the threat and aim for center mass. She put a round right down the barrel of the BG's handgun, six in the chest, two in the head, and with her last shot, she shot him in his naughties.
    :):
    He moves in mysterious ways, or maybe ...
    Hell hath no fury like a woman in competition with another?

Either way, great job!

How much better to show the woman you love that you love and trust her and give her the knowledge and the means with which to defend herself.
    Yeah. :)

Top Bottom