• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The power plant down the road from my house made the switch from coal to NG back in the Bush admin. Must have seen a need to do it that didn't involve the Obama admins EPA. Lots of plants have converted to NG from coal. Guess they have their own reasons.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    These greener resources are so unreliable anyway. I mean, solar power?? Come on man! Everybody knows the sun goes away each day and it doesn't tell us where it's going!!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The power plant down the road from my house made the switch from coal to NG back in the Bush admin. Must have seen a need to do it that didn't involve the Obama admins EPA. Lots of plants have converted to NG from coal. Guess they have their own reasons.

Cleaner. Easier to control. Less maint. Less equip. to run the plant. EPA is out of their a$$ when they switch.
    Trust me, the EPA has much to do with them retro to NG.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Cleaner. Easier to control. Less maint. Less equip. to run the plant. EPA is out of their a$$ when they switch.
    Trust me, the EPA has much to do with them retro to NG.
    Maybe, but if they do it's not something new. They've been making that switch for many years now and through more than one administration.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Maybe, but if they do it's not something new. They've been making that switch for many years now and through more than one administration.

You rarely see black or even dark grey smoke from a stack on a coal fired plant. The EPA since it's inception has been pushing these plants to clean up the particulates released in the smoke. Huge (and stupid expensive) scrubbers had to be installed or equally large fines and restrictions were levied.
    Yes, this has been ongoing regardless of who is in the big boy chair.

funeralweb

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    Or maybe it should be entitled The High Cost of Being Green.

When the utility companies told us over the years, as we threw ever increasing environmental standards at them, prices would rise...we got what we asked for. We voted for politicians that were OK enacting laws that would necessarily cause electrical rates to sky rocket.

Yeah, I know that part of the high cost of fuel are because of growing affluence of the Far East, etc. But to a large extent, to avoid global warming, many shiver in their houses because they can't afford to pay their heating bills.

People struggle to pay heating bills in sub-zero temperatures - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Meanwhile, on the other side of the mother ship, Chinese citizens are wearing smog masks as they labor to fill next week's Wal-Mart order.:ugh:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    You rarely see black or even dark grey smoke from a stack on a coal fired plant. The EPA since it's inception has been pushing these plants to clean up the particulates released in the smoke. Huge (and stupid expensive) scrubbers had to be installed or equally large fines and restrictions were levied.
    Yes, this has been ongoing regardless of who is in the big boy chair.

The fact our air doesn't look like that of China is a good thing. I guess the argument of if this would have happened without government involvement is a topic for another thread but now we're not just trying to clean the air, we're trying to prevent global calamity we never started and certainly can't stop.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Coal is like oil, it is always being replenished naturally. The problem is can we get it out of the ground fast enough to make good use of it or faster than it can be replenished

That and technology is changing so fast, there'll probably be something ready to take it place. Maybe if we allowed people to keep more of their money instead of being forced to give it to wealth redistribution schemes like this, caused by the .gov, the market would have more capital to invest and innovate.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The fact our air doesn't look like that of China is a good thing. I guess the argument of if this would have happened without government involvement is a topic for another thread but now we're not just trying to clean the air, we're trying to prevent global calamity we never started and certainly can't stop.

I am all for the clean smoke stacks. These plants are operating so much cleaner and efficiently now. These up-grades have been reflected in our energy costs but I can not complain especially when I see the pics of "Smogageddon" from China.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I am all for the clean smoke stacks. These plants are operating so much cleaner and efficiently now. These up-grades have been reflected in our energy costs but I can not complain especially when I see the pics of "Smogageddon" from China.

Most wouldn't complain about clean smoke stacks. But when is clean, clean enough?

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    I'm a little confused. I am budget bill system. I paid 60 dollars a month for gas all summer. The last three months I have had a gas bill of zero and this month 26 dollars. I keep my place at 70 and it is around a thousand square feet.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Most wouldn't complain about clean smoke stacks. But when is clean, clean enough?

Once a Gov. agency gets a hook into you, when will they stop. Revenue my friend. Fines and fees collected to keep the wheels greased.

My Grand dad said this before he passed away. "what in the hell is everyone so up in the air about. I have never seen things cleaner than right now"
    He grew up with coal locomotives and coal heat in every house. I guess it is all a matter of perspective.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm a little confused. I am budget bill system. I paid 60 dollars a month for gas all summer. The last three months I have had a gas bill of zero and this month 26 dollars. I keep my place at 70 and it is around a thousand square feet.

You may have paid more than you have used. They will adjust as they go sometimes. I would call and check. Just in case.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Once a Gov. agency gets a hook into you, when will they stop. Revenue my friend. Fines and fees collected to keep the wheels greased.

My Grand dad said this before he passed away. "what in the hell is everyone so up in the air about. I have never seen things cleaner than right now"
    He grew up with coal locomotives and coal heat in every house. I guess it is all a matter of perspective.

Exactly.

Top Bottom