• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    A friendly public service announcement from your own BogWalker.

I never got why some people get so offended when their actions are criticized. I get criticized plenty for the things I do, but I don't get mad that I was criticized. I always thought that was part of actually taking an action. I didn't think you did things and then just expected nobody to disagree with you, but I encounter it all the time. People that aren't offended by the content of my criticism but by the act of criticizing itself. Sorry, but it is really naive to think actions should be or are free from criticism by others. The phrases "you shouldn't criticize them for..." or "you shouldn't criticize me for..." are ridiculous at best. "Live and let live" as it relates to criticism is just a thinly veiled attempt to escape criticism by those who won't stand up for their actions masquerading as philosophy.*

I think it all comes down to people wanting to pretend that actions don't have consequences.

As the FAQ would say, grow a thick skin.

Criticism of my criticism of criticizing criticisms in 3... 2... 1...

*As it applies to those who use it as a defense against criticism. As "live and let live" is displayed in some forms of political/legal thought as a counter-argument to restrictive legislative efforts, as in Libertarian thought, it is a perfectly valid argument. An action can be criticized without its being legislated against.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    There is criticism that improves the person who did something and there is criticism that makes the person offering the feedback feel better about themselves. One should always be welcomed and the other is often useless.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Probably the single best thing that serving in the military taught me was how to attenuate my own natural ego and learn to accept criticism, even if it often sounds like a personal attack, and use that particular instance as a guide for the future.
    More importantly, it also taught me how to differentiate between justified criticism and someone who really does have a chip on his shoulder for me.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The old adage "Sticks and stones can break my bones but words will never hurt me" is no longer followed. These days words will land you in court, in jail, and buried under a lawsuit. How sad a society we have become. Freedom of speech as long as you don't offend anyone.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    When ever I post something I do so to hopefully help at least one person. If others want to drop their negative post that is their right. I will consider the source and move on, especially when it is from the same members.

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    A friend used to say, "But, this is Constructive Criticism!"

Constructive criticism is seldom constructive and is always criticism.

Her voice still rings in my head today, many years later.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    The problem, possibly, is any "constructive" criticism is lumped with insult (also thought to be criticism). Simply insulting someone is not criticism. However, if someone says "why not do it this way", or "Did you know about...", or "Did you think about...before considering that action..." - those are possibly constructive.

If someone provides possible positive feedback, I'll hear it and consider it. If it's just insults, then nothing. Oh, and my opinion of that person just fell.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    What makes you think your opinion (criticism) is right?
    Oh, it's not about right or wrong. Disagreeing with somebody's criticism is just fine and to be expected. Getting offended that somebody dared to criticize you is what I don't understand.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    .......................Freedom of speech as long as you don't offend anyone.

What people don't realize is that "freedom of speech" only applies in the governments ability to censor you. Remember what the first 5 words of the first amendment are....."Congress shall make no law......." The government can't make any laws restricting your speech, but that DOESN'T mean that your speech is protected from reprisals and repercussions from private individuals that don't like it.

Top Bottom