Paying for guns in installments...crazy question.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    If you think about it, saving up for it or using layaway is about the same thing. The only difference is you keep a hold of your money instead of the gun shop. So in other words if you have to use layaway or save up for it then you really cant afford it.

Poor choice of words on my part.. I should have said anytime you have to barrow money with a fee attached, then you probably can't afford afford it.

Also if you have the ability to pay for the firearm right then and there, then I would think that the seller would be more inclined to deal with you.. If you go in there and say I want that gun at this price, and by the way I'm going to be putting it on layaway, then I would think the seller wouldn't be very willing to deal much. :dunno:

TJSaltdog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    Poor choice of words on my part.. I should have said anytime you have to barrow money with a fee attached, then you probably can't afford afford it.

Also if you have the ability to pay for the firearm right then and there, then I would think that the seller would be more inclined to deal with you.. If you go in there and say I want that gun at this price, and by the way I'm going to be putting it on layaway, then I would think the seller wouldn't be very willing to deal much. :dunno:

Im just messing with ya.

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    I mean, it's not really a question about affording it all the time though. I COULD pay the entire thing and be alright, but (even if the price was slightly higher), i'd be thrilled to pay it over a few payments just in case who knows what happens and i need some extra money.

Ok, i guess even then it's still slightly an affordability question depending on how you look at it, but i'm not gonna be totally comfortable and be able to have emergency money and stuff for a while anyway.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I know Blythe's has a great policy on layaway, does not cost anything, and as long as you put something down every month, no problems. I have gotten a couple firearms this way. As Jetgirl stated, it works great if you are wanting a particular model or see something on sale or a lower then usual price.
    Either you can save the money yourself, or put something on it every month and have the gun shop "hold" the money for you. I know that if I am holding the money, something always happens, where if the gun shop has it, its only a couple bucks and they keep it for it. Works out better for me, although I usually pay it off pretty quick, cause, i obviously want it. I actually have a 1903 on layaway now, cause it was on sale for way less then it was worth. Still making payments, and will get it as soon as I can "afford" it.

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    Used lay a way once at my local shop. 3% down and three months to pay it off...no interest or fees. Would do it again if I saw somthing I just had to have and did not have money on me. That is why I did it before...Had to have!! I do not always have the cash on hand when I go in, and the turn over is so great in there with both new and used guns. There are some real good deals to be had at times. Something different every time I go in.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    There was an online shop I saw awhile back that sold guns on credit exactly like most places do refrigerators, televisions, etc etc. Can't recall the name though.

Layaway at your LGS is much the same thing, though.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    I prefer CC because it gives me a while to pay and more importantly i get points which = $$!

60% of credit card holders have a balance on their cards.

Credit card companies are some of the most vile companies, next to pay day lenders, out there.

I try not to give them any business.

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    Its all personal preference...some people here have the money and dont have to worry about laying down 5-6 hundred bucks on a gun, some dont have that option.

Im not going to look down on people for using layaway, ive done it a few times for one reason or another when i had other options.

Do what you want peeps!

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    60% of credit card holders have a balance on their cards.

I'm not among them. I have a specific (bonus point offering) card that I use for just about everything (gas, groceries, major purchases, etc.), but nothing gets charged unless there's already cash to back it up. It gets paid off every single month (no interest that way) and there's no way on God's green earth I'd keep a card with a stupid annual fee. That's just not smart.
    I'm sure they hate people like me. :D
    But I'm also just as sure that there are suckers out there who don't realize that making payments on a balance (with interest) isn't really garnering them "free money" in the form of bonus points. The interest they are paying off probably ended up being way more than the "bonus points" back.
    Mine, on the other hand, is like...
    image1.png

:D

jLr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Wow. A lot of arguing about layaway, so here is my two cents:

To those who say they can't afford to pay the full price, what is the difference between giving a gun shop 10-20/week and stuffing 10-20/week under your mattress? If you save the money and something comes up (medical emergency, etc.) you can use your money for that, but you will likely have a very hard time getting your money back from the shop. Also, either way you will not have the gun in your possession until you have the money saved up. Bottom line, unless it is a rare-once-in-a-lifetime deal, you would be better off saving your money yourself.

Citizen711

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Fishers
    Its all personal preference...some people here have the money and dont have to worry about laying down 5-6 hundred bucks on a gun, some dont have that option.

Im not going to look down on people for using layaway, ive done it a few times for one reason or another when i had other options.

Do what you want peeps!

That pretty much sums it up, right there.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    When I was a young punk I had a favorite gun shop. Had been going in there since before I could drive myself. I had a job that paid very poorly. I put stuff in layaway with no fees. It worked for me since I was always going there anyhow.

Best part for me was if I was buying a used firearm I could go there and shoot it. Worked out great!

They have long since closed down and I miss them. I wouldn't buy on layaway now, unless it was a special piece that I didn't need but rather wanted.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    People make payments for their homes and vehicles, what's the difference on making a weekly payment for a firearm? I think it actual helps the LGS out. Cause they get cash flow in. Instead of just having merchandise set & set & set.

Top Bottom