Paying for guns in installments...crazy question.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    So I was browsing gunbroker.com the other day and noticed some sellers use a system called easy pay where you can pay in installments. Personally, I think this is kind of awesome.

I'm not really in a position to pay a ton of money for the firearm I want, but I can definitely swing it without consequence (id just rather avoid it of possible). However, it'd be pretty beneficial at this point in my life if I was able to pay for it in a few installments or something.

Anyone know of anywhere else that does it? Thanks! And sorry for the newbie questions haha. :)

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    So I was browsing gunbroker.com the other day and noticed some sellers use a system called easy pay where you can pay in installments. Personally, I think this is kind of awesome.

I'm not really in a position to pay a ton of money for the firearm I want, but I can definitely swing it without consequence (id just rather avoid it of possible). However, it'd be pretty beneficial at this point in my life if I was able to pay for it in a few installments or something.

Anyone know of anywhere else that does it? Thanks! And sorry for the newbie questions haha. :)

Gunshops with layaway.

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    There are a lot of gunshops that do layaway. Make sure that the gun you are putting on layaway is kept on site in the safe, so the don't try to do layaway then order ya one once it is paid off.

All kinds of arguments can be had about Layaway. In one sense, it sure is nice to stop into the gunshop once every week or so and plink down a payment. Makes for a long wait tho, and since your in the store, a higher percent chance that your gonna buy somethin else since your there.

If you are newer to managing your money, then I would certainly not go layaway. You learn a lot better fiscal responsibility having it sit in your account, where it has to sit until you have enough dough.

Of course on the other hand, maybe you see the once in a blue moon gun that comes through the shop, and this one is gonna be yours. Not enough fun tickets at the time, layaway sure is handy then.

But then.... Oh hell, Do whatever works for you.:D

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I dont get layaway, just save the money and have some self control to not spend it before you get the full amount. Then go buy your gun. Do stores charge for this "service"? If so its even dumber.

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    I did it for 1 gun, he didnt order it till it was paid. I didnt like that part of it, but once I layed down some cash, I made sure I paid it off as soon as I could. Will not do it that way again. They either have the gun, or we dont deal.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    If you have to make payments you can't afford it. If some one tells you different, they want your money.

:+1::thumbsup:

I've been saving for a P226 MK25 for about 8 weeks now.. I'm just about there.. sure I could just put it on a CC but why? It's like Cherryspringer said..."If you have to make payments you can't afford it"

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    If there are layaway programs that work like 0% interest CC deals at stores that'd be wicked.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    My first gun (92 FS:rockwoot:)was purchased via layaway and a now defunct gun shop. I was a dirt poor 25 year old and the shop a very liberal layaway policy. Went in every week and put down $10-$20. Look a long time but well worth it.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    We do layaway sales at Tomlinson's, too.
    It's especially helpful if there's a hard-to-get (or discontinued) model of something. By the time you save up for it, it might be gone without a chance of another one.

TJSaltdog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    :+1::thumbsup:

I've been saving for a P226 MK25 for about 8 weeks now.. I'm just about there.. sure I could just put it on a CC but why? It's like Cherryspringer said..."If you have to make payments you can't afford it"
    If you think about it, saving up for it or using layaway is about the same thing. The only difference is you keep a hold of your money instead of the gun shop. So in other words if you have to use layaway or save up for it then you really cant afford it.

Top Bottom