• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    underground
    All except the Fenway part...but that will be done before I go to sleep tonight.
    See how INGO has changed my life?
    Good medicine.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    My son...a few were given to me so I will do the same to him. I have one rifle that I refuse to sell or trade and that is my garand which will be his.

Option 2: The Brady Campaign because I know it will just **** them off!!

Thumper

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    South Indy
    I don't plan on croaking soon.I don't have any kids and my wife does not like guns.I am the only person in my family that likes guns.As strange as it sounds it was my wife that asked what to do with them if i die.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I don't plan on croaking soon.I don't have any kids and my wife does not like guns.I am the only person in my family that likes guns.As strange as it sounds it was my wife that asked what to do with them if i die.

find someone you trust and have them help her sell the guns for market value.

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    Ok, here's my thought. Before the viewing, all the guns get loaded up and set out on a table or something reasonablly nice to display them. During the viewing, maybe towards the end (Remember this is viewing time) I'll have to get a couple buddies to do the "Weekend At Bernies" thing and prop me up and put an apple on my head. If you can shoot the apple off my head from across the room where the table is - Needs to be at least 50ft for pistols IMO - then you get that firearm. If you miss and don't hit me then your out for that round, if you hit me in the face then you get beat up. It's not cool to shoot a dead man in his face.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    What I'll Do

Since My youngest son is living with the Lord now. My oldest son will get all my guns. Unless for some reason he can't have them, then I will give them to my four grandchildren as I age and become less able to use them. And I will give them away before I die, God willing, still won't make everyone happy but at least no one will be able to say that wasn't the way I wanted it. Keeping at least one for self protection. :patriot:

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    When I die I plan on being buried inside my locked safe with my guns.
    +1 for that!!

I have mine written out to certain things, for instance, at this current time, I have no kids. My 30-06, and my 10/22 goes to my little sister. My .357 Mag and my .44 Mag go to my brother in law. My ballard is to be sold, and the money is to be divided between my two sisters and my mother.

Or lock me in my safe like MinuteMan said. :rockwoot:

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site

I think the best thing to do is pass them to members who are most interested and most responsible in the family, if thats your son, daughter,etc. If you dont have anyone sell or donate them to the proper facilities, Proper gun clubs, organizations.

:twocents:indyk

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    My son...a few were given to me so I will do the same to him. I have one rifle that I refuse to sell or trade and that is my garand which will be his.

This almost brought a tear to my eye, I sometimes think in his perspective about what he will, one day give to me.

sorry for the hi-jack

karodger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Northside Indy/Lafayette
    very good question. I hope one day I have kids(hopefully sons) to pass them on to.

I was just thinking about this the other day because my girlfriends dad was talking about the same thing at dinner. His decision was that all 3 children take turns picking one at a time till they're gone. If someone doesn't want any then they still pick and if they sell them then the other 2 get first dibs. Luckily for me my girlfriend is the oldest and has no interest and he already said I get to pick for her (he likes me a lot :) some how he knows I'll be around before I do ;) ). His son does get the safe tho.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    i was thinking the same exact thing today. no one in my family like guns like i do. im young though and no kids here. i would have to find someone who appreciates them as much as i do.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    My kids don't have a lot of interest in firearms. I try to keep a list of what they ought to be worth so if they are sold off after my demise, the wife, if she survives me, will have ad idea of value.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    One thing for us all to keep track of:

If you're planning on bequeathing your firearms to someone who lives out of state, or who may very well live out of state when you go 10-0: If you don't specifically enumerate the firearms (make, model, & serial # if at all possible) in the will or trust paperwork, then the recipient will probably have to arrange for shipping and FFL transfers of all the firearms.

If they ARE specifically enumerated, the BATFE in their infinite wisdom has deemed the transfer as not requiring FFL transfers.

So, if you know that you're "getting stuff" from someone out of state, make sure things are enumerated properly. If not, be prepared to pay for shipping and transfer fees.

-J-

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I keep a list of all of my firearms along with serial number, person I bought them from, price I paid and potential value. I don't want my wife to get screwed because "She doesn't know what she has"

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Here's my serious answer to your serious question. The two boys have 'picked out' what they would want. My wife gets her favorites also. Everyone knows what they want ahead of time. The daughter doesn't want anything so she gets the money from whatever is left.
    My point is: make a plan. That way there is no fighting over the guns. The guns are separate from the rest of the estate which will go to my wife. Write it out and check with all parties so there are no questions. Make a will. Keep it up to date.

My grandparents set up something that I think is brilliant. When they are both dead, an appraiser will come in and assign a value to everything. Once that is done, the value will be divided equally and each child will be given "money". Then each item will be auctioned to the kids. If someone wants something bad enough, then they will bid until they get it. Once all the "money" has been spent, leftover items will be auctioned in an estate sale. The kids will have the opportunity to buy items at the real auction, but they will have to spend their own money. After the auction, any money made will be divided equally. Leftover items will be donated to missions.

Top Bottom