• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Stop by and look at the sliding entrance doors to the new airport, see that red circle with the line through it and handgun picture in the middle? I agree firearms, unless authorized are prohibited from entering the sterile area, or undeclared and/or secured for shipping wrong from the baggage area, but you would assume that the entire terminal is a firearm free zone, ireguardless of the state firearms law, when you see the visualy displayed on every door "PROHIBITED" sign.

I actually asked a security person about this last time I flew and saw those crossed out firearms on the baggage claim exit doors. Obviously, the airport security person's opinion doesn't carry any legal weight, but she said, "It's only not allowed in secure areas like when you go through the scanners."

That makes sense too. It obviously is allowed to have them in the terminal and non-secure areas as to outlaw that would make it impossible to transport a firearm via plane at all.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Class A misdemeanor. Less than 1 year jail max., and $5K fine max.. Shouldn't lose her LTCH, since it is just a misdemeanor (my two cents).

If the DA is anti-2A s/he could make the case that she is not a "proper person" and thus have the LTCH revoked. Yes it's a stretch but...

(Not sure what the max jail time for the misdeanor for what she did is. Image they could spin it that she can't properly handle a firearm.

Did not know it was "just" a misdemeanor & fine however. I thought it was a federal no-no (ie felony) to go into the secure area of a plane. Is there a federal no-no (ie felony) for having the gun on the plane itself?

IC 35-47-2-5
    Suspension or revocation of license; failure to return license; rules concerning procedure for suspending or revoking license
    Sec. 5. (a) The superintendent may suspend or revoke any license issued under this chapter if he has reasonable grounds to believe that the person's license should be suspended or revoked.
    (b) Documented evidence that a person is not a "proper person" to be licensed as defined by IC 35-47-1-7, or is prohibited under section 3(g)(5) of this chapter from being issued a license, shall be grounds for immediate suspension or revocation of a license previously issued under this chapter. However, if a license is suspended or revoked based solely on an arrest under section 3(g)(5) of this chapter, the license shall be reinstated upon the acquittal of the defendant in that case or upon the dismissal of the charges for the specific offense.
    (c) A person who fails to promptly return his license after written notice of suspension or revocation commits a Class A misdemeanor. The observation of a handgun license in the possession of a person whose license has been suspended or revoked constitutes a sufficient basis for the arrest of that person for violation of this subsection.
    (d) The superintendent shall establish rules under IC 4-22-2 concerning the procedure for suspending or revoking a person's license.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.140-1994, SEC.7; P.L.2-1996, SEC.285; P.L.120-2001, SEC.2; P.L.1-2006, SEC.535.

IC 35-47-1-7
    "Proper person"
    Sec. 7. "Proper person" means a person who:
    (1) does not have a conviction for resisting law enforcement under IC 35-44-3-3 within five (5) years before the person applies for a license or permit under this chapter;
    (2) does not have a conviction for a crime for which the person could have been sentenced for more than one (1) year;
    (3) does not have a conviction for a crime of domestic violence (as defined in IC 35-41-1-6.3), unless a court has restored the person's right to possess a firearm under IC 35-47-4-7;
    (4) is not prohibited by a court order from possessing a handgun;
    (5) does not have a record of being an alcohol or drug abuser as defined in this chapter;
    (6) does not have documented evidence which would give rise to a reasonable belief that the person has a propensity for violent or emotionally unstable conduct;
    (7) does not make a false statement of material fact on the person's application;
    (8) does not have a conviction for any crime involving an inability to safely handle a handgun;
    (9) does not have a conviction for violation of the provisions of this article within five (5) years of the person's application; or
    (10) does not have an adjudication as a delinquent child for an act that would be a felony if committed by an adult, if the person applying for a license or permit under this chapter is less than twenty-three (23) years of age.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.191-1984, SEC.1; P.L.148-1987, SEC.3; P.L.269-1995, SEC.5; P.L.49-2005, SEC.1; P.L.118-2007, SEC.34.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Stop by and look at the sliding entrance doors to the new airport, see that red circle with the line through it and handgun picture in the middle? I agree firearms, unless authorized are prohibited from entering the sterile area, or undeclared and/or secured for shipping wrong from the baggage area, but you would assume that the entire terminal is a firearm free zone, ireguardless of the state firearms law, when you see the visualy displayed on every door "PROHIBITED" sign.

That's a new addition since my time with the Airport Authority. Unless they have inacted a specific ordinance, just like at Wal-Mart, those signs don't carry any weight and the worst they do is ask you to leave. Can of worms, I know, I know......

iceman33

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    Indianapolis
    That's a new addition since my time with the Airport Authority. Unless they have inacted a specific ordinance, just like at Wal-Mart, those signs don't carry any weight and the worst they do is ask you to leave. Can of worms, I know, I know......

so are you saying even though Wal-Mart has signs posted against carrying firearms you can still legally carry them and the most they can do is ask you to leave???

How about companies that have a rule against having firearm on their property, even in your car in parking lot? What's the most they can do to you?

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    How about companies that have a rule against having firearm on their property, even in your car in parking lot? What's the most they can do to you?

I would say the MOST they could do is fire you if you worked for them. Otherwise if you were a visitor all they could do is ask you to leave and if you refused, have you arrested for trespassing.

alwalker84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I fly in and out of Indy airport weekly....There is a sign just before going to the scanning area that shows the nationwide arrest stats. There normally over 100 guns found on passengers in airports per week...I think the lowest I seen was 75.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    There was a lady in FL in the news today for TSA having found a firearm in her carry-on luggage.

Also in today's news, a "dispatcher" (fire? EMS? Police?) from Blackford Co., Indiana is in trouble for having a firearm at the airport.

dr632

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2010
    Brown County
    This all confuses me ... I completely understand at and past the TSA security screening zone. Prior to that security screening point, I'm confused. I'll have to pay attention on my next trip to locate these signs referenced. This is all good to know as I have a trip at end of August where I need to take my firearms to the luggage check-in area for declaration on the flight.

Are there other security screening points at Indy airport other than the TSA screening area where you show your boarding pass and ID?

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    dr632 Carrying into the airport in many states (not all), including Indiana is not a crime... until you try *fail or succeed* and enter a sterile/controlled area.

I'm not sure exactly what the deal is with the summons and such, obviously the reporter is leaving a lot of info out.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    No just the check points want to see your boarding pass and ID, funny no guns allowed sign on doors.........how you supposed to bring in your unloaded secure firearm for declaration?

Top Bottom