• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Passenger stopped with gun at Indy airport | thestarpress.com | The Star Press

A 66-year-old Greenfield woman was detained at Indianapolis International Airport for carrying a 9mm semiautomatic handgun at a security checkpoint.

Judy Muenster told airport police that she always carried the gun with her and "did not know what the problem was," according to a police report.
    Muenster was carrying the gun in her bag along with a clip with four rounds in it.

"Muenster then stated that she carries that bag and that firearm with her everywhere she goes and didn't give it a second thought before coming to the airport," Officer Carrie Godme said in her report.

Muenster had a permit to carry a handgun, though she didn't have it with her. She was issued a summons for "entering a controlled area of airport with a weapon or explosive."

Muenster was released but the gun and bullets were held as evidence.
    I don't think the firearm will be returned to her.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    More like she is never going to see any firearm period. Since it is not a felony charge she is going to face? At the state level I think they are going to revoke her LTCH.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Does anyone have access to POST on the comments section of that website?
    There is a lady from MUNICE who is a "permit holder" that has her no gun places a bit wrong. She claims the airport and bars are no-nos but that is not technically true. Looks like she needs a bit of clarification (she is pro 2A BTW)

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    A clip? What kind of pistol uses a clip?

Class A misdemeanor. Less than 1 year jail max., and $5K fine max.. Shouldn't lose her LTCH, since it is just a misdemeanor (my two cents).

+1 for always carrying. -1 for not paying attention to where she can.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Well, her having a gun/pistol/revolver/weapon in an airport security point with a clip/magazine is going to cause her to lose her license/permit/documentation, maybe for the rest of her life.

It sounds like she just forgot about it and they didn't want to or couldn't take her work for it.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    A 66-year-old Greenfield woman was detained at Indianapolis International Airport for carrying a 9mm semiautomatic handgun at a security checkpoint.

Judy Muenster told airport police that she always carried the gun with her and "did not know what the problem was," according to a police report.
    Muenster was carrying the gun in her bag along with a clip with four rounds in it.

"Muenster then stated that she carries that bag and that firearm with her everywhere she goes and didn't give it a second thought before coming to the airport," Officer Carrie Godme said in her report.

Muenster had a permit to carry a handgun, though she didn't have it with her. She was issued a summons for "entering a controlled area of airport with a weapon or explosive."

Muenster was released but the gun and bullets were held as evidence.

OK, I'm confused.
    Did she try to go through security with it? I would think if that was the case that they would not had just been issued a summons. I thought trying to go through security with a gun was a big federal TSA no no.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I can clarify for you AFA1CY, as the airport used to be my bailywick.

It is illegal to carry a firearm in a controlled area of an airport, I.E. the screening area and beyond. It is also a violation of FAR (Federal Aviation Regulations) Part 107 to do so, however, it is not a federal CRIME. It is more of a federal ordinance violation, punishable by fine. Yes, the feds can imprison you for it, but it's more for the non-payment of a guvment fine. In these cases, the feds look to the local police for enforcement action and follow with a fed civil investigation.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    So the "screening area and beyond" is the "controlled area"? Is that all?
    What about the pick up/drop off, waiting with a friend areas (if you're not intending to board/fly)?

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    So the "screening area and beyond" is the "controlled area"? Is that all?
    What about the pick up/drop off, waiting with a friend areas (if you're not intending to board/fly)?

Controlled areas are areas like the Ramp (area the aicraft are at), past security, or place that you can't just go unless you work in that area or are going to fly.

I work in aviation and know what I have on me at all times when I am at an airport, in a hanagar, going to fly....... if not you will hate life.........

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Roger that Dave. The screening area, concourses, AOA/Ramp/Tarmac and inside the fence, are all a big no-no. The parking lot/garage, passenger drop-off/pick-up, curbside, inside the terminal, food court, sidewalk, restrooms and perimeter roads are all okie-dokie.

Take this as my most up-to-date knowledge though, as this was ruling at the old terminal. I don't believe that they have instituted any new-fangled rules at the new terminal to the contrary.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    those high capacity CLIPS are bad news

Here's a photo from the Airport Police evidence locker...

387074700.jpg

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Stop by and look at the sliding entrance doors to the new airport, see that red circle with the line through it and handgun picture in the middle? I agree firearms, unless authorized are prohibited from entering the sterile area, or undeclared and/or secured for shipping wrong from the baggage area, but you would assume that the entire terminal is a firearm free zone, ireguardless of the state firearms law, when you see the visualy displayed on every door "PROHIBITED" sign.

Top Bottom