• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I think having a prepper attitude and life style has personally relieved and reduced our stress levels.Sure our just in time delivery system is great,and we do use it to some degree.I do not want to depend on it though.

I do not think it takes an arsenal to prep.Firearms are needed and do not take it the wrong way,but your life depends on water,food,and the ability to stay warm.Things modern life styles just take for granted.They are also things usually out of your control in the modern world without direct effort on your part to make sure you can meet those needs.Modern life means reliance on others for your every basic need.From food delivered to the store,to water pumped to your house your life is dependent on someone else.Your very survival depends on things being provided for you by anther party(usually for commercial gain).

A "prepper" has taken some of that control back from others and is more self reliant.Having that control over your life and basic needs actually feels great.Less than 100 years ago most people had that control,they needed it if they wanted to survive.With the industrial revolution,manufacturing,and the progress to a just in time supply system less and less needed to rely on themselves to meet basic needs.Our house has made a conscious choice to be less reliant on others to keep us alive.We take responsibility for our own well being.
    The world may just hum along without any interruption to our modern life style forever,however if history is any guide this is a false sense of security.People forget so easily when things are going well.Few probably remember being rationed 2 cans of vegetables per month,or less than a pound of beef per month,but that was the reality during world war 2.Most basic food items(and many other items) where rationed,and the last great spurt of raising your own food happened during that time with 98% of all US house holds having a garden.History often repeats itself.My life style would not need to change and for me life would go on much as it is now.How would your life change?

Prepping is not about the end of the world,zombies,collapse of a government, or even natural disasters for me.It is about relying on yourself to live life to the fullest without needed others to provide for your every need and it feels great.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/survival-disaster-preparedness/181278-fear-vs-worry.html

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I quit caring much about what people think about me and the way I live a long time ago. If I'm paranoid, so what? I'm not taking anything away from anyone else and I'm not hurting anyone. It hasn't hurt me any and being prepared for big emergencies has helped me resolve smaller problems much more easily and with much less stress than if I had not been prepared. I've lost nothing and I've gained some, so . . . I win.

theblackknight

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    How does recognizing the fact that any society regardless of a period of world domination can fall into chaos make a person paranoid? After all, it has happened numerous times throughout history. Why would any sane person believe that we are exempted from the same consequences of the same circumstances and behaviors, and the same chorus screeching 'that can't happen here!'?

So, again, how does seeing the plain truth that the same behaviors in which we now engage as a nation have brought nations and empires past to ruin will also bring the United States to ruin make us paranoid? It seem to me that it makes us nothing but passable students of history.

The fact that you took the bait tells me you are paranoid. Good job.

My home town is Ft Wayne, but I live on the beach here in NC. You know, hurricane zone? I know like anyone else the value of zee prep.

Where paranoid comes in tho, besides the obvious butthurt ;), is when people neglect other vital areas of life, like some flavor of 401k,Roth/IRA/college funds/ etc etc, so they can horde MRE's and making cool little hand crank systems so their bullet and case feeders will still work when the lights go out.

Also Mr. Student of history, why has Europe (and dam near the rest of the world), which for ages was in a constant ass kicking quest with itself and lands far away, suddenly found a way to play nice? I think it has something to do with the global polite society(non-relative thinkers wont compute this) that the nuclear age has afforded us.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Also Mr. Student of history, why has Europe (and dam near the rest of the world), which for ages was in a constant ass kicking quest with itself and lands far away, suddenly found a way to play nice? I think it has something to do with the global polite society(non-relative thinkers wont compute this) that the nuclear age has afforded us.

Collapse of the Soviet Union,rise of the European Union ring any bells?The African Union?

Perhaps the 80+ global conflicts currently on going?Just because former super powers(British,French,or one of the 6 foreign nations you learn about in American history)are not fighting a world war does not mean conflict has ceased.There are many wars and military actions currently going on in the world.

The United States alone is involved in at least 6 at this time.Libya(air power and training),Iraq(no fly zone and training),Uganda(special forces protecting the central bank and hunting LRA troops),Operation enduring freedom(Naval and Air power spread across half the globe),Afghanistan,Operation Freedom Eagle Pakistan(air to ground war,mostly drones but not all),Liberia(still have training troops there),Operation active fence Turkey(air power,missile shield,weapons smuggling VS Syria).

How about our troops on the North Korean border.Ask them if they feel at war,since legally they are living every day under war conditions based on terms of a cease fire written before they where born.

The U.S. Army 1st Cavalry Division is headed to Egypt to man posts near Sharm-el-Sheikh, “observation posts” and checkpoints along the southeast coast.Over 400 troops and equipment,with air power provided from 2 carriers.

There is certainly no down swing in conflict,just in how war is waged.Winners do not really care that much about changing borders.They want control of governments and leadership.In a modern war it is much more common for borders to stay the same while leaders are changed and new central banks established.Control the leadership and finances of a nation,do you really need to change the borders?

Last edited:

theblackknight

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Collapse of the Soviet Union,rise of the European Union ring any bells?The African Union?

Perhaps the 80+ global conflicts currently on going?Just because former super powers(British,French,or one of the 6 foreign nations you learn about in American history)are not fighting a world war does not mean conflict has ceased.There are many wars and military actions currently going on in the world.

The United States alone is involved in at least 6 at this time.Libya(air power and training),Iraq(no fly zone and training),Uganda(special forces protecting the central bank and hunting LRA troops),Operation enduring freedom(Naval and Air power spread across half the globe),Afghanistan,Operation Freedom Eagle Pakistan(air to ground war,mostly drones but not all),Liberia(still have training troops there),Operation active fence Turkey(air power,missile shield,weapons smuggling VS Syria).

How about our troops on the North Korean border.Ask them if they feel at war,since legally they are living every day under war conditions based on terms of a cease fire written before they where born.

The U.S. Army 1st Cavalry Division is headed to Egypt to man posts near Sharm-el-Sheikh, “observation posts” and checkpoints along the southeast coast.Over 400 troops and equipment,with air power provided from 2 carriers.

There is certainly no down swing in conflict,just in how war is waged.Winners do not really care that much about changing borders.They want control of governments and leadership.In a modern war it is much more common for borders to stay the same while leaders are changed and new central banks established.Control the leadership and finances of a nation,do you really need to change the borders?

(non-relative thinkers wont compute this)

Top Bottom