• ...and so much more!
  • redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    PM SENT

I'm not sure what your question(s) is. The EMT program is fine. I don't know of a local EMT program that isn't any good. If you are considering going to medic school I would try to attend both programs at the same place. I suggest both Community East and the IUPUI program. I have precepted students from each program in Indy and those two are by far the best. And over the years have put out the best medics in the long run. IMO I would be happy to answer any direct question(s) that you have.

HTH
    RNM

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Me too.

My first question would be this: What is the difference between an EMT and a Paramedic?

I was told by someone who would know that, as a First Responder, I'm already an EMT, albeit the lowest ranking one. I did not know this.

All I know is that I need to get out of nursing and find something with more adrenaline.

Josh

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Me too.

My first question would be this: What is the difference between an EMT and a Paramedic?

I was told by someone who would know that, as a First Responder, I'm already an EMT, albeit the lowest ranking one. I did not know this.

All I know is that I need to get out of nursing and find something with more adrenaline.

Josh

EMT-A EMT-B, EMT-D, EMT-I, EMT-P There's been more over the years. When I first got my cert in 1988, basic EMTs were EMT-A, which then switched to EMT-D when we were certified on semi-automatic defibrillators.

You like adrenaline, get into firefighting. Most EMS is pretty boring after the first year or so.

Last edited:

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    If I were to take an EMT-B class again or EMT-P, I'd still choose Community East .

The instructors are great but know this , the EMT-P course is like a 50 hour a week job .

Between class , clinicals and study , you WILL NOT have much of a life for at least 14 months .

Their medic program is done "in house" , and boasts one of the highest graduation rates in the state .

Not to mention , at least one of their instructors is / was (?) on the EMS commission and has a lot of contacts . I haven't talked to Terry in a while so I don't know if she still is .

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    I am starting the paramedic program at Ivy Tech this year. I started a thread similar to this and all the INGO medics were very helpful. You might want to consider Sending Cam a PM as well. Im not sure how to link his name so if someone can Much appreciated

Atropine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Bloomington
    Me too.

Josh

Paramedics and EMTs vary greatly on what they are allowed to do per medical protocols. You said nursing: CNA, LPN, RN? Basic EMTs operate around or just above LPNs, depending on the service. An RN is generally regarded as "higher" in the food chain as compared with a medic. That being said, a medic is the highest level of care in the field and as such makes all treatment determinations/drug calls/IVs/monitors, etc. There are a few things medics do, rapid sequence endotracheal intubation, cardiac pacing, 12 lead interpretation, needle cricothyrotomy, etc, that RNs don't do. An RN works directly with physicians to coordinate their treatment, so while they may not call all the shots, there is a lot more that they can do pharmacologically and are generally more sought after and paid a considerable amount more.

With that being said, if you are an LPN (and you're looking for the adrenaline rush), I'd look for a two year crossover RN program to ultimately become an emergency nurse. Pay, hours, general working conditions, schedules, and job market outlook is all much better than paramedics.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

I'm currently a CNA. I used to work in technical and customer service fields, but those jobs became scarcer. I took the fast track into the medical field - and this meant CNA training - to just get my foot in the door.

What is a medic, exactly, and how do I become one? Medic is sounding more like what I want to do, rather than paramedic...

Thanks!

Josh

Atropine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Bloomington
    Hello,

I'm currently a CNA. I used to work in technical and customer service fields, but those jobs became scarcer. I took the fast track into the medical field - and this meant CNA training - to just get my foot in the door.

What is a medic, exactly, and how do I become one? Medic is sounding more like what I want to do, rather than paramedic...

Thanks!

Josh

A paramedic is a medic :D

I would still seriously consider a 2 year RN program at Ivy Tech or the like. I'm not sure the competitiveness of these two year community college programs, however the BSN (Bachelors of Science Nursing) degree programs at IU are quite competitive and lengthy. Keep in mind, with becoming a paramedic or an RN, you will be in school full time for two years so you will want to make sure you have the time/funds/etc established first.

To become a paramedic, you must first become EMT-B certified through the State by taking an accredited EMT-Basic course. This is approximately 120 classroom/lab hours, plus 6 hours of ride time with an ambulance crew, and 6 preceptor hours in an ER. Most paramedic programs suggest 1 full year of "on-the-street" work as a basic before proceeding into medic school. Once accepted into a medic program (Ivy Tech/IUPUI/etc), it's approximately a year and a half to two years classroom/lab/preceptor time and subsequently team leading. You must then test for an EMT-P certification upon completion of all work.

I'm sure the paramedics on this forum can help answer more thorough questions about the rest of the process, but this is the jist; I'm only a lowly medical student :):

cheers!

ggglobert9

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Ft Wayne
    For all you youngbloods...when I started. We didn't even know what RSI was...we didn't need paralytics! We just intubated...AID ambulance was the competition...MAST pants were the fashion and nurses were what we used to chase! Those were the "good ole days". When I started we had Johnny and Roy as our Idle's and had to ask for an order for D5W tko! Our trucks didn't have Ride-computers to keep track of our "safe driving" or GPS...we read paper maps. We were all state certified Paramedics...then they offered to Grandfather us to National Registry...if we would have only known how hard that test was gonna be. God Bless EMS and have a safe day!

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    To the OP:

If you decide to go the paramedic route........prepare to devote yourself to it. I tried (tried being the operative word) St. Francis's class when I was 20 while still working 40hrs/week and still tried to have a social life. Lets just say it didn't work out.

brainslushy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Warrick County
    I was a first responder and later an EMT-B. I let both lapse a few years back when I got out of public safety stuff for awhile. Just went back and did the First Responder again. Taking test next week.

They're changing the lingo on First Responders and calling them "Emergency Medical Responders" or EMR's now.

blah.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Thanks, folks.

I have at least an idea of what I need to enroll in now.

I'd like to work trauma at an ER, but not as a nurse.

I so totally didn't mean to threadjack, but the question was brought up and I didn't see a reason to start a separate post.

Thanks again,

Josh

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Lots of great answers here, huntall and Josh. If you look around, EDs in Indiana do hire EMTs (Basic and up) and paramedics as well. If a trauma comes in while you're on duty, you'll likely get yanked in. Depending where you are, some places have medics running the code team in the hospital, on the floors, meaning coming in, giving the orders, intubating the patient... Fpd told you to expect to devote yourself to it and that is an understatement:

When I started EMT class (which only lasted three months), I was told to expect to not have free time during the class.

When I started medic classes (22 mos, IIRC), the phrase used on day 1 was, "If you are having marital problems now, you will be divorced by the end of this class."

The class is very demanding; you'll spend every waking minute either in class, studying, doing clinical rotations, or in some way thinking about the program, and there won't be many minutes that are not "waking". This is even more true now, what with so many programs wanting to condense the medic program down to a single year. I'm personally of the opinion that that is far too much material to try to learn in that short a time. Others may disagree, and that is their prerogative.

My advice: Find an EMT Basic class with a high (90%+) graduation rate on the first time through the test. Go in and forget (temporarily) your long-term care experience and training. LEARN, and learn well. When you graduate, and I have confidence you will, work for a while and see if this is really where you want to be.

The hours are long, the monetary pay is abysmal, and the conditions can truly suck... but the rewards I have gotten from doing this thing I love transcend all of that. They say to find a job you love doing and you will never work a day in your life, and this has been my experience. August will be the beginning of my 25th year certified, and I truly cannot imagine spending my life doing anything else.

Hope this helps.

Blessings,
    Bill

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    Bill thanks for summing things up and hitting the heart of the matter. Once I decide to head down that path the commitment will be there but I do have a family to provide for and spend time with. I have been chasing money and not giving back in a worthy the life that has been given to me, so I feel more and more this is my direction. Thanks for all the comments and keep the info coming.

Top Bottom