• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seabass

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I've owned 2 hi cap Para's, never had a FTF or FTE.

Occasionally you will read about FTE issues, very early Para's had somewhat weak extractors. Nothing to keep you from owning one though. Inexpensive fix if it ever becomes a problem.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    I'm cool with Para. Have kept some standard ones, have gotten rid of some. The double-stack, and the LDA, were turn-offs.

Para 1911's have the "Series 80" firing pin drop safeties. To each his own, on that issue.

A lot of hardcore 1911 enthusiasts dislike Para, but I haven't heard a good reason. There is a video floating around of Todd Jarrett burning through 1000 rounds in one, as fast as he can. (it gets so hot, he can barely hold it)

Price-wise, they are a little bit more expensive than Rock Island, and a little less than everything else, when comparing feature-for-feature. Yes, they use MIM parts, but that's no different than Kimber.

If you're looking for your first 1911, there's nothing wrong with buying a Para, or Rock Island, then upgrading internal parts as your budget, and tastes, require.

As long as we're on the subject, if you really want to learn about the 1911, I would suggest picking up the two Kuhnhausen books, and a bench block.

kunhausen at Brownells

Wheeler Engineering Bench Block

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    One of the common complaints that I have seen about Para's is that they have a weak finish. That can be resolved if it turns out to be an issue, with some Cerakote, but something to be aware of when examining a potential purchase.

If I were hunting for a 1911, I'd give hard look at the Ruger.

Irukanji

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    SW Indiana
    One of the common complaints that I have seen about Para's is that they have a weak finish. That can be resolved if it turns out to be an issue, with some Cerakote, but something to be aware of when examining a potential purchase.

If I were hunting for a 1911, I'd give hard look at the Ruger.

I heard the same so went with the stainless Expert. Gorgeous gun and shoots very smooth.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have 2 Para's and have owned both since the mid 90's. P-12 and a P-14 Limited in SS.
    Both have been reliable and without major issues that any other 1911 I have ever owned or seen would not experience at the round count they both have on them. Thousands.
    I have several springers and a colt. Love them all for what they are and do.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I had a Para GI Expert for awhile, it ran pretty good. Finish didn't hold up as well but the function itself was good. If I found another for at a good deal and I was looking I wouldn't hesitate to pick up another.

Top Bottom