• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    I'm a newb to the handgun world, and I'm curious about which paper targets you use for your handguns.

I use basic, larger paper targets for rifle bench shooting. What do you recommend for 7, 15, 25 yards? Simple, small bullseye?

Or, not worry about it and just slap something up?

Thanks for any insight and pictures.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    shoot n sees are a personal favorite of mine. all shapes and sizes and it is very easy to tell if/where you hit. spinners and other reactive targets are fun as well. if you get a chance do a steel challenge, a lot of fun and can break the monotony of standing by yourself and just shooting targets

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    The cheaper the better for close distances. You can print targets or buy a pack of plain paper and draw a big black dot on it. If I'm shooting a rifle at 75 and beyond, I prefer shoot-n-see, so it's easier to make adjustments without calling the range cold to see where I'm hitting. I guess you could also use binoculars or something to see target placement.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I save my scrap paper from work and trace my Skoal can and make 6 circles with a dot in the center for pistol. I feel like I'm "being green".

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    For 25 yard and closer with handguns I typically use paper plates with bright colored dot stickers in the center.
    For .22 rifle at short range I print targets that I've saved from web sites over the past few years.
    Centerfire rifles at 100+ yards typically Shoot-N-C.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Who says you have to buy specific targets?

Use paper plates... Draw a circle of whatever diameter you want on them. Blast away.

If / when I buy targets, I tend to buy what's the least expensive.

-J-

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Another paper plate shooter here! I trace a circle in the center with my Sharpie and the roll of duct tape in my range bag. My wife likes the shoot-n-see targets, so I keep a pack of those around for her.

If you are shooting "defensively", then anything on the plate is a good hit.

Horse-Power

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2012
    Paper plates are good, I have had good luck with the shoot and see targets as well.

For a cheap reactive target a old tide detergent bottle will bounce when hit by a .45 and sometimes with a 9mm. ( The Mosin will really make it go)

But as said before, if you get the chance to do steel it will make you frown at paper.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If you are shooting "defensively", then anything on the plate is a good hit.

Pretty much!

If you're allowed to rapid fire, if you can keep all of your shots within a "fist sized" circle on your target, then you is doin' OK.

*fist-sized meaning your average adult male's fist*

-J-

KevinJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Let me put in another vote for paper plates. I get a magic marker and place a black dot in the center. Good to Go!

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I dont know why they dont actually make paper plates with a target printed on it since it looks like most people use them just for shooting. :D
    Im wonder if people also use them to eat or whatever else you can do with them.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    coming from a competition background, I actually use proper targets. I buy the correct ones for the distance and the event (slow fire and rapid fire). The registered B-3 and the B-6 are the ones I mostly use. If you order them 100 at a time most of them only cost $8.00 to $12.00 per 100. It is easy to really judge your marksmanship progress with a known standard that does not change.

I notice that MidwayUSA now sells real regulation targets by the 100.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    While not from the competition background that Leo comes from, I have to agree on the standard targets being a good benchmark to judge from. For defensive handgun work, I like to use the B-21 half size targets. They are usually pretty cheap, and give a good basis to judge from. I figure if I can reliably hit a half size, the real deal should be relatively easy.
    For rifle work, or hunting handgun practice, I have used paper plates, but when getting a scope dialed in, I find that graph paper (with the inch lines in bold) is a cheap way to get things dialed in pretty quick. Sometimes I am lazy, and just use the pistol target that is already on the board.

Top Bottom