Panthers/Mountain Lions in Southern Indiana (Multiple sightings)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jason R. Bruce

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Very Stupid. Shooting a bobcat would land you the same fines as shooting a bald eagle in Indiana. Read up on regulations before you "stalk all over Indiana" and start pulling the trigger.

Read up on the Indiana regs huh? Do a little research and you'll see my name cited in reference to the 2009 bobcat delisting (Endangered-to-Protected) along with the potential for additonal changes to Indiana's bobcat regulations. I'm currently in my 3rd year of bobcat population & travel research with anticipation of a significant partner coming on board later this winter to help spearhead some new opportunities for Indiana furtakers.

I buy licenses in half a dozen states and pass up enough Indiana bobcats to fill some of those states quota's. That picture, and corresponding video, was taken in Kentucky and featured in one of their F&W programs among other national predator calling publications.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Read up on the Indiana regs huh? Do a little research and you'll see my name cited in reference to the 2009 bobcat delisting (Endangered-to-Protected) along with the potential for additonal changes to Indiana's bobcat regulations. I'm currently in my 3rd year of bobcat population & travel research with anticipation of a significant partner coming on board later this winter to help spearhead some new opportunities for Indiana furtakers.

I buy licenses in half a dozen states and pass up enough Indiana bobcats to fill some of those states quota's. That picture, and corresponding video, was taken in Kentucky and featured in one of their F&W programs among other national predator calling publications.

Fair enough... I've been owned on this one lol

Rickmill

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Mitchell
    Never seen a lion but I have found tracks and had a dog that what was torn up by something large. As for coyotes why would they introduce them? Step outside at night and it sounds like you were playing their howls on a surround sound stereo.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    There is a confirmed mountain lion sighting just southwest of Carlinville, IL as of 2 days ago. Caught on a trailcam. The photo was posted on one of the backpacking forums of which I am a member. The state of IL official lists them as extinct in the state as of the late 1800's.

Timestamp on the trailcam is not set, but this was posted 2 days ago.
    image_zpsb8084b30.jpg

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    There is a confirmed mountain lion sighting just southwest of Carlinville, IL as of 2 days ago. Caught on a trailcam. The photo was posted on one of the backpacking forums of which I am a member. The state of IL official lists them as extinct in the state as of the late 1800's.

Timestamp on the trailcam is not set, but this was posted 2 days ago.
    image_zpsb8084b30.jpg

Definitely not a bobcat.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Speaking of bobcat's, this was from this evenings sit. Watch in HD and full screen, look at the left of the laydown. He'll eventually look up at me and then walk down the log.

[video=youtube;we9J89xBR8k]http://youtu.be/we9J89xBR8k[/video]

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Fishers
    Hickman - That is an awesome video. My family owns a farm in Bedford close to the high school and they have been seeing one in the area. I wasn't sure if they had or hadn't but I think your video is proof enough for me. I will have to pass this along.

Thanks for sharing.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    Which bar was it at? ;)

On a more serious note, what is the difference between a cougar, mountain lion, and a panther?

More or less like the Brown Bears, they are also called Grizzle, Kodiak. Pretty much the same breed except Kodiak are a lot bigger due to lot of salmons.

Hk91_son

Plinker
    Rating - 97.9%
    46   1   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    Richmond
    I'm in Richmond and have been seeing tracks.
    Last week I got the very large black cat on the trail cam.
    I would post pic but I have only my cell currently and it will not let me upload the pic.
    But I have my proof they are for sure here.

jeremy2overton

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2014
    Haubstadt
    My cousin caught this on his trail can a few years ago... Can't be a black lab. My grandpa has talked about seeing a large black cat in southwestern Indiana near Griffin.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    No doubt they exist.
    Just wonder how they got here.

Illegal or legal pets that got loose?
    Purposefully placed by those outside of the DNR?
    DNR stocked?
    Migrated?

My guess is either of, or a mixture, of the last two

Top Bottom