Panthers/Mountain Lions in Southern Indiana (Multiple sightings)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    From what I understand, a Mountain Lion and a Panther are the same animal, or at least very very similar. Over the past 2 years or so, the amounts of sightings in the area around me (Floyd, Clark, Washington, Harrison County), has grown every year. I have a friend who said his neighbor has a picture on his trail cam of a black panther on his property. I am trying to get a copy of this to share. I have talked to other guys I somewhat know in the area that hunt, and they all have said they know someone who has seen one. One of the sightings was behind an elementary school in a pretty populated area in Floyd County. I also have heard that the DNR won't confirm them, but have said there appears to be some in Harrison County that were purposely put there to cut down the coyote population. These are all stories I have heard, so I do not know how truthful they are. Anyone else heard anything?

peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw
    They are all the same animal. Puma, cougar, mountain lion, panther, mountain cat, and catmount. I think different areas call them differently. I have noticed a lot more "sightings" lately.

peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw
    Also, a "black panther" is just term everyone uses. They are actually black jaguars or leopards. We for sure do not have these creatures in the americas lol

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Ok I was in line waiting to check in at Big Oaks during one of the reserve hunts about 4 years ago and a guy in front of me told me and my F in Law that he had a black panther under his stand early in the morning that year during bow season. He said that he was hunting around Madison either right across the border into Kentucky or just north of the border in Indiana. I kinda blew the story off that he either had a small black bear or a mountain lion which appeared black due to the lack of light.

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    Ok I was in line waiting to check in at Big Oaks during one of the reserve hunts about 4 years ago and a guy in front of me told me and my F in Law that he had a black panther under his stand early in the morning that year during bow season. He said that he was hunting around Madison either right across the border into Kentucky or just north of the border in Indiana. I kinda blew the story off that he either had a small black bear or a mountain lion which appeared black due to the lack of light.

Im questioning myself to whether or not I would shoot if I was in that situation

SumtnFancy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Ft. Wayne
    I saw an article today, don't remember where, nor can I vouch for the credibility... But it said something along the lines of a few coyotes and mountain lions (maybe?) being released in southern IN for deer population control. I will try to find it again, but it may have been on here.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    put there to cut down the coyote population. These are all stories I have heard, so I do not know how truthful they are. Anyone else heard anything?
    Having Cougars around here does not seem to have any effect on the Coyote population. I have never heard that in regards to Cougars and I doubt it. Wolves on the other hand might cut into Coyotes but we have all 3 here plus Bobcats and the only thing that cuts the coyotes is bullet.

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    I saw an article today, don't remember where, nor can I vouch for the credibility... But it said something along the lines of a few coyotes and mountain lions (maybe?) being released in southern IN for deer population control. I will try to find it again, but it may have been on here.

This may have been what the guy I talked to was trying to say. He said the mountain lions were released to control coyote, but he must've meant mountain lions and coyotes were released to control deer.

SumtnFancy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Ft. Wayne
    Why not open up deer season more, instead of releasing a predator that will kill dogs, chickens, children, etc? Wasn't this scenario part of the story about the lady who swallowed a fly!?

peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw
    I couldn't image they would bring in wolves and mountain lions for deer. Would't they learn their lesson with killer bee, zebra muscle, and Asian carp?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    A few years ago, there seemed to be a number of cougar sightings in and around Lawrence County. Maybe I'm just not reading the paper as closely as I used to but I'm not hearing the stories like I did. But Lammchop, I'd love to see that picture!

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I saw what I think was a mountain lion in NW Washington County (White River Road and Hunter Road intersection) in 2007.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Told this story before but.........

years ago as I departed from my vehicle for an afternoon bowhunt a guy mowing the landowner's property (around the house) jumps off the mower and trots up to my Jeep. He asks me to "not shoot the cougar".

Yup. It was an escapee (legally owned, was also declawed). It was by the barn when he came to mow the place, was maybe an hr into the job, thought it'd still be around. I never saw it.

I bet most of the sightings are of critters that got out. Kinda hard to report an illegal exotic as missing................

Top Bottom