• Roll first or edge first?

• Total voters

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Roll first or edge first? I say roll first, because I like to feel like I'm getting a lot done right out of the gate. Wife says edge first because it gets the hard part out of the way.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    It will actually look better if you edge first, especially with a dark color of paint. I painted my living room red once and you could see exactly where I edged in over the rolled sections. If you edge first and roll second, you can bring the roller as close to the edge as possible and limit the wall space then not rolled over, as the overlap will then match the larger portion of painted wall and not the smaller, edged in sides.

Thank you, HGTV.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    It will actually look better if you edge first, especially with a dark color of paint. I painted my living room red once and you could see exactly where I edged in over the rolled sections. If you edge first and roll second, you can bring the roller as close to the edge as possible and limit the wall space then not rolled over, as the overlap will then match the larger portion of painted wall and not the smaller, edged in sides.

Thank you, HGTV.
    Hey, nobody asked for facts, especially when they disagree with me. :D

I'll let her know the internet is wrong too. :laugh:

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana

Thank you, HGTV.

Exactly

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Is AuntieBellum like my wife, where she can't live without her HGTV? Is Bubba like me and runs out of the house yelling no more HGTV.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    The best is to edge a little, roll a little......repeat untill done. If you edge the whole room first, by the time you start rolling, your edges will be dry and won't blend into the roller line. Start by edging an 8' section of the room. Wherever you end your edge, feather it out so it will be easier to pick up where you left off. Begin rolling on where you started the edging, being sure to blend in the line with the roller. When you have rolled that section and are ready to edge another section, make sure you also feather out the roller line so you can blend it when you start rolling again.

Of course, only go through all of this if you are picky about a paint job. If it doesn't matter too you, by all means do what's easiest.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Drink a beer, you know this is all her idea anyway

Sorta. :):

But, truth be told, as comfortable as I am in my manhood, it was getting kind of old having my bathroom painted bubblegum pink. We've been here a year, got all the more important projects out of the way (like her bathroom and the guest bathroom), so now it's nice to spend a little time on my third-favorite room in the house (after my office and the gym).

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    Get another helper and then it doesn't matter what you do, plus it goes faster. Moved into a new place and I am trying to figure out why the previous owner painted the entire bathroom yellow. Even the ceiling is yellow and the trim. :dunno:

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I had to pick let my wife do it. When there is something to paint she has her friends and family, all women come over and paint.

Nothing hotter than watching women with short shorts and tank tops
    paint, sometimes getting it on each other.:rockwoot:

Top Bottom