• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firstrock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I noticed a teaser article in the Indy Star online yesterday asking readers about their views concerning corporal punishment in schools. I emailed the reporter with my comments supporting corporal punishment and today had a phone interview with the reporter.

I gave my reasons for using corporal punishment in both my home as well as in the school system. The reporter was nice, didn't ask misleading questions or try to lead me down a certain path. The Star will be running this story in NEXT weeks Sunday Star.

I also learned that out of the 11 school districts in Marion Co. only 3 allowed corporal punishment and I live in one of them, go Franklin Twp!!!

John

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I would venture to guess that the majority of the members of this forum recieved "corporal punishment" in schools and none of us were scarred for life. I got so tired of phone calls from the H.S. on my oldest for little trivial crap that I went down there one day and with her, the principal, asst principal, counselor and teacher that was having an issue with her that day, I told them to bust her axx the next time she did something stupid, gather her friends and do it in front of them and this crap would stop. Of course you should have seen the looks of shock and stammering that they don't do that in a "modern school system". Attempting to avoid the soapbox but I think along with school prayer, saying the pledge and many other things in the "Modern" school system that are no longer done, the solution would present itself for the behavioral issues etc if they came back. And tell all the PC, Left coast parents to suck it up and move on!!!

gund

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    I never got paddled in school. I got paddled at home. That's how it should work.

gund

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Attempting to avoid the soapbox but I think along with school prayer, saying the pledge and many other things in the "Modern" school system that are no longer done, the solution would present itself for the behavioral issues etc if they came back. And tell all the PC, Left coast parents to suck it up and move on!!!

The pledge is a relatively modern concoction.

Came about more than a century after independence (1892). And only gained any official standing when it became part of the flag code in WWII.

Some religious people (e.g. Jehovah's witnesses) refuse to say the pledge, because swearing loyalty to anything but God goes against their religion.

Some non-religious people refuse to say it because of the words "under god" inserted in 1954.

I don't know how widespread school prayer was. But it was ruled unconstitutional by the Supreme Court in 1962. That's older than a lot of members here.

There are problems with public school, these two examples aren't it. They aren't new controversies at all.

It's called "the good old days" syndrome. Everybody has it.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    I'll tell you this....If my child came home and said her teacher paddled her. I would hunt that teacher down like a rabid dog. **I** will punish my child. No one else will lay a hand on my child without me laying a beatdown on them! End of story.

If you are a good parent, and raise your child right in the first place....your child wont act a fool in school! Every child gets crazy from time to time....every parent SHOULD correct them.

Home School all the way (For my child at least)!!!!

silentvoice71

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Ft Wayne IN
    Well heres the deal my wife is a teacher for FWCS shes a reading interventionist. She helps kids with bad reading levels read better and get them reading at their level. Ive gone in and helped her out with this.....The first time i helped out her 4th grade group i have 2 little kids talk back to me and tell me they wernt gonna read. They have also talked back to my wife........SO kids have no fear the kids have been threatened with parent phone calls and no recess etc etc......How do you think that kid would have acted if i sent him down to get his *** beat by a nice peace of PINE?! A lot better i bet......I am for corporal punishment kids have no respect for adults....which when i have kids.......will not be an issue i promise that. My kids will yes sir no sir yes mam no mam.....they do bad at school they get things taken away....ILL LOCK THAT SOB HOUSE DOWN!

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I would venture to guess that the majority of the members of this forum recieved "corporal punishment" in schools and none of us were scarred for life. I got so tired of phone calls from the H.S. on my oldest for little trivial crap that I went down there one day and with her, the principal, asst principal, counselor and teacher that was having an issue with her that day, I told them to bust her axx the next time she did something stupid, gather her friends and do it in front of them and this crap would stop. Of course you should have seen the looks of shock and stammering that they don't do that in a "modern school system". Attempting to avoid the soapbox but I think along with school prayer, saying the pledge and many other things in the "Modern" school system that are no longer done, the solution would present itself for the behavioral issues etc if they came back. And tell all the PC, Left coast parents to suck it up and move on!!!

Schools are to say the pledge and have a momment of silence at school everyday.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I'll tell you this....If my child came home and said her teacher paddled her. I would hunt that teacher down like a rabid dog. **I** will punish my child. No one else will lay a hand on my child without me laying a beatdown on them! End of story.

If you are a good parent, and raise your child right in the first place....your child wont act a fool in school! Every child gets crazy from time to time....every parent SHOULD correct them.

Home School all the way (For my child at least)!!!!

I think home school is more in line with what seems to be your educational philosophy. The teacher is to do an outstanding job and further the education of everyone but their judgement is not to be trusted with something like punishment or discipline. Correcting unruly children has nothing to do with the situation or education?

On a separate note why don't we just do away with mandatory education and let it be a choice.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Corporal punishment works because the kids MIGHT get spanked, not because every one of them gets paddled. It is the threat that keeps them in line. They know acting out will hurt. Right now, kids KNOW the teacher can't lay a hand on them. Paddling the right kids for the right reasons will usually have the others toeing the line right quick.

My Jr. High Band instructor had a canoe paddle over his desk. Only used it once in 3 years I was there. No one DARED act out in his class.

Sure, there should be discipline at home as well. However, waiting several hours from the when the child exhibited the bad behavior to administer the "correction" will not be as effective, and does not empower the teacher with any actual authority.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    I think home school is more in line with what seems to be your educational philosophy. The teacher is to do an outstanding job and further the education of everyone but their judgement is not to be trusted with something like punishment or discipline. Correcting unruly children has nothing to do with the situation or education?
    There is a difference between correcting and unruly child, and paddling MY unruly child. Number one...my child won't act like a punk in school or she'll know what is coming to her when she got home. Number two....Not every parent believes in paddling children. So does that mean they can go right over the parents heads and paddle them anyways? I believe in CP (as noted in the other thread). What I don't believe is, someone else "PADDLING" my child. Weather she deserves it or not, she'll get what is coming to her at home. It should be the PARENTS decision. Not a teachers.
    There are numerous types of punishment. A teacher should pick another one...IMHO.
    On a separate note why don't we just do away with mandatory education and let it be a choice.

This question must be for someone else, I don't handle sarcasm well.
    :twocents:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville

The second question was not directed toward you, and was the only sarcastic remark.

In loco parentis. If someone does not trust the judgement the teachers at that childs school then they should send their children somewhere else to school or do it at home. If the school does not have a policy allowing spanking then there is nothing to worry about. If they do and you have a problem with that send them to private school (many of which spank), a charter school (most of these suck) or teach them at home. I also did not mean to cast any doubts about your specific childs behavior. I meant in a general way about correcting or spanking. I also have a daughter who is well behaved, but if she were to need spanked at school I am fine with that. I have talked with her teachers face to face and the principal. I trust them or she would not be there. This was my point to those who would be up in arms about what type of discipline the teacher used including spanking.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Corporal punishment works because the kids MIGHT get spanked, not because every one of them gets paddled. It is the threat that keeps them in line. They know acting out will hurt. Right now, kids KNOW the teacher can't lay a hand on them. Paddling the right kids for the right reasons will usually have the others toeing the line right quick.

My Jr. High Band instructor had a canoe paddle over his desk. Only used it once in 3 years I was there. No one DARED act out in his class.

Sure, there should be discipline at home as well. However, waiting several hours from the when the child exhibited the bad behavior to administer the "correction" will not be as effective, and does not empower the teacher with any actual authority.

Spot on!:yesway:

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    Home School all the way (For my child at least)!!!![/quote]

+1 nobody gets away with anything at our house. Kids nowadays know how to play the game. I got so many detentions,suspensions,etc in school and it did not change my mindset a bit, but a good public butt whipping definetly would have.:)

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I got paddled at home and school and yea I learned to keep my mouth shut.
    I would actually rather get the paddle at school then home anyway because my parents were better at it.

jbrich

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009
    Gas City, IN

This is the exact reason all of these little s**ts run around acting like they do. They have never had their a** busted properly. There was several occasions that i got it at school and i can remember i deserved them all except for one. (that one still pi**es me off)

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Tasering, by a trained individual (can be bought at your local gun shop), is the safest way to physically discipline a person. Its "hands off" - no fear of dislocations or broken bones, sprains, bruising, hitting too hard and causing internal injuries, etc.....it delivers a measured, consistent dose of persuasion. Every time you pull the trigger you are assured that your child will recieve a safe level of voltage that will persuade them to see it your way. No bruising, no bleeding, no chance the neighbors will even know.

Your emotional state will not come in to play - no 'tired form work", no "having a bad day", and taking it out on a young bottom. No missing and hitting the tailbone, spine, or upper thighs. Even if you decide to "drive" the point home by adminstering multiple sessions, rest assured knowing they are perfectly harmless. No different, and safer than, an extended paddling.

ETA: Ok that may have been too sarcastic and someone may have believed me. Do what to you want to your kids. It's funny...I would wager that a lot/most of the people who responded to this thread has kids and I"m sure we all think we did an excellent job raising them. When it's all said in done, it probably comes down to commitment and love that shape a child more than the occasional discipline.

Last edited:

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    Corporal punishment is administered by parents with anger issues that lack the patience to handle discipline in a non-violent way. There are many other ways to punish/discipline a child. The real world doesn't work in this way, so why treat your kids like this? The proof is in the irony. Evertime I speak out against this in a forum, the pro-paddlers come at me like a mob of angry shareholders. If it makes you feel powerful to physically dominate your child, then go right ahead. I'm all for individual rights, especially under your own roof. But consider that there are other options out there that are equally as effective that don't involve fears of violence.

Top Bottom