• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If there's some 'issue' with a full mag locking in, then all I can say is 'man up', LOL! Ya need to slam that magazine into place. Trust me, in a gunfight you WILL be slamming that mag home.

I've slammed a p-mag hard enough to bruise my hand and it didn't seat when full. I never bought into the "load 28" that some units recommended until I experienced it first hand.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Hundreds of times at every USPSA match. Only time have ever seen a problem was a couple single stack 1911's - mag issue.

Depends on the division. The production pistols are limited to 10 rounds in the mag. Single stack guys use 8 round mags and depending on the mag they choose they might run into problems seating a fully loaded mag.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    Depends on the division. The production pistols are limited to 10 rounds in the mag. Single stack guys use 8 round mags and depending on the mag they choose they might run into problems seating a fully loaded mag.
    Correct- single stack is only place I have had or seen some one else have an issue. Mine ( .45-8 rnd) were solved by using different mag. No problem in production, limited 10, limited, open.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    On handguns, I personally +1 everything that seems to have reasonably decent springs still left in the mags.

If the mag springs are feeling a little soft I'll forego it until I replace them. Granted I've never had an issue before. Most firearms magazines will hold 1 more round than they're rated for, some will even hold quite a bit more. They're really at their optimal compression fully loaded.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Run with the 8 round Wilson ETMs or Tripp Cobras. They us a longer mag body. Doesn't pack em in there as tight.

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    M&P mags are hit or miss, in that I have two 9mm compact 12-rd mags and two 45 compact 8-rd mags and one of each of them I experience difficulty even cramming that 12th or 8th round in respectively. Where the other respective 9mm and 45 mags don't seem to be so stiff.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I've personally seen the issue in question, though not exactly in the OP's intended context. Mossberg 500 loaded for 10 years as a home defense gun. Switched it out to shoot clays and it had a problem feeding the last round due to weal spring issues.

Bought a new spring but couldnt get the tube out without the risk of damaging the receiver so I gave up. Let it sit a couple years and now its fine. :dunno:

Yeah, it CAN happen. But I would bet its relatively rare.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    :+1: in everything but a revolver...:laugh:

I used to rotate the mags I left loaded because I had concerns over this same possibility...after never seeing an issue with it and having checked magazine function over the years I do so much less often now.

Generally, if it's a weapon I keep loaded I'll just empty the loaded mags first when I take it to the range.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I have seen mags not load the top round of a mag when carried +1. Single stack 9mm over 8 or 9 rounds can run into this problem because 9mm has a slight taper to the cartridge. I have also seen mags that are too darn tight.

All of my guns I carry fully loaded mag and +1 in the pipe.

I do download my spare Glock mags by one round. For example a Glock 23 is 13 rounds in the mag and one in the gun. I would carry 13 + 1 in the gun and 12 in the spare mag. Reason is the mag is so darn tight if I had to reload I might not get it seated properly. Also gives me a place to put my +1 if I ever unloaded.

This is how I roll.

I want that full magazine because I carry plastic so I don't have the accuracy of a 1911.... Oh yeah. Went there. :ingo:

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    For me it depends on the pistol. My G30 I cannot get the tenth round in and then put it in the pistol with one already chambered. I don't try to force it as knowing I have 10 in the gun and another 10 on the hip is comforting enough.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    For me it depends on the pistol. My G30 I cannot get the tenth round in and then put it in the pistol with one already chambered. I don't try to force it as knowing I have 10 in the gun and another 10 on the hip is comforting enough.

If your spare has 10 in it how will you get it in the gun to reload? Only reload option is at slide lock.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    XD45 carried for years with full mag and one in the pipe. I never unload the mag or the gun and have never had a problem. Only time the round gets removed from the gun is when I pull the trigger on the occational rabbit or coon causing problems.

blueboxer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Lets analyze this issue as it pertains to handguns:

Step 1): Look down the empty magazine well from the bottom with the slide forward.

Step 2): Observe bottom of slide at the top of your magazine well.

Step 3): Ask yourself whether the factory magazine was designed to be loaded to maximum capacity and inserted in the magazine well. This answer should be "yes."

Step 4): Ask yourself how a round in the chamber puts any extra pressure on the magazine. This answer should be "it doesn't" since the fully loaded magazine is in contact with the bottom of the slide and not the round in the chamber.

Step 5): Realization. If the full magazine can't sit in the magazine well when there is also one round in the chamber (aka +1), then the full magazine can't sit in the magazine well WITHOUT a round in the chamber, since based on 1-4 above, the pressure on the magazine should be the same regardless. Reread step 3 if necessary.

Step 6): Action. File away above points to know you can carry +1 without damaging your gun if you want to.

Top Bottom