• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    How many of you guys carry fully loaded mags with that +1 in the chamber? Is there any concern with over-compressing the springs or malfunctions after the first shot? (that I've been told could occur)

I've also been told that it's wise to load my back-up mag up to -1 of full capacity, which I suppose would make sense when topping off one's gun as it would be harder to slam a full mag in (with the fully compressed spring).

Thoughts?

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    I believe every gun/mag combinaton is designed to be carried in that manner.

I can't see any reason to not.

I have never had an isssue carrying a fully loaded mag with one in the chamber, I frequently load one in the chamber and then load the mag at the range, never a problem.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    The only reason I 've found for NOT carrying +1 is if I know I am going to a prohibited place and I have to disarm and unload the gun. That way once I pop the round from the pipe I can stick it back in the mag and not have to carry it loose in my pocket.

Fortunately this instance is very rare, so I almost always go +1.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I always go +1 also. I figured I might need as many rounds as possible to get the job done, but then again, if I can't get er done with 15 rounds then I'll save the last one for myself.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have seen mags not load the top round of a mag when carried +1. Single stack 9mm over 8 or 9 rounds can run into this problem because 9mm has a slight taper to the cartridge. I have also seen mags that are too darn tight.

All of my guns I carry fully loaded mag and +1 in the pipe.

I do download my spare Glock mags by one round. For example a Glock 23 is 13 rounds in the mag and one in the gun. I would carry 13 + 1 in the gun and 12 in the spare mag. Reason is the mag is so darn tight if I had to reload I might not get it seated properly. Also gives me a place to put my +1 if I ever unloaded.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    How often has it been put to the test in that time? Either at the range or in unfortunate real life instances?

I always carry +1 and that is how I train when at the range. Load mag drop slide, one in chamber top off mag and head to the line for draw and fire practice. Never has it caused an issue in any pistol I have ever shot.

The only guns I have had a problem with while carrying +1 was my M&P.40 that I used to have, and now my CZs. The issue was and is not a function problem however. The fully loaded mags rattle and it can get annoying. Other than that no issue.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    My habit is this: I go to the range/acreage often. The FIRST thing I do is set up the steel (hat tip to Bobcat Steel!) and draw my EDC and empty it into the steel. I do this DIRECTLY from my carry setup as though my life depended on it. Since I most often carry a spare mag, it gets dumped into the steel as well.

This sort of test is a "readiness check" to make sure that everything works the way that I think it should. The reason that the CM9 is in my holster is because it never fails to put the rounds right where I want them, without any hiccups , issues or apologies.

And yes I carry it full at a minimum and +1 most of the time.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I never download pistol mags and have never had an issue.

Rifle mags, that's another story. I have had AR mags that wouldn't seat if loaded to the full 30 and there was one in the chamber. P-mags at that, which are generally considered one of the better options.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Never had it happen, on any gun, new or used, owned or borrowed, expensive or cheap, with any mag, ever. Didn't buy 15 round mags to carry them with 12, 13, or 14 rounds.

If there's some 'issue' with a full mag locking in, then all I can say is 'man up', LOL! Ya need to slam that magazine into place. Trust me, in a gunfight you WILL be slamming that mag home.

That should be done every time a semi-auto is loaded, whether at the range or getting ready for EDC. If that creates an issue then what's needed is 1) a new mag, or 2) a new gun, or 3) both.

Lastly, IF it's going to be an issue, better to find out 'now', i.e. at the range, during your favorite JFC course, or whatever. What you DO NOT want is finding out when some lunatic has chosen to bring the fight to YOU.

YMMV.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    My habit is this: I go to the range/acreage often. The FIRST thing I do is set up the steel (hat tip to Bobcat Steel!) and draw my EDC and empty it into the steel. I do this DIRECTLY from my carry setup as though my life depended on it. Since I most often carry a spare mag, it gets dumped into the steel as well.

This sort of test is a "readiness check" to make sure that everything works the way that I think it should. The reason that the CM9 is in my holster is because it never fails to put the rounds right where I want them, without any hiccups , issues or apologies.

And yes I carry it full at a minimum and +1 most of the time.

I never download pistol mags and have never had an issue.

Rifle mags, that's another story. I have had AR mags that wouldn't seat if loaded to the full 30 and there was one in the chamber. P-mags at that, which are generally considered one of the better options.

both of these posts cover everything exactly as I would've said myself. +3 to you both

Top Bottom