• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    hello all i have a few questions i have a molle 2 assult pack that im going to use as my bug out bag, but i was told it might be better as a get home bag, i was told that a small pack like the soldiers use in afgan on patrol would be better just big enough to carry ammo, water, and food so my question is are the bags used by soldiers day packs, partol bags? assult packs? what is the differance, thanks

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    Your average soldier has 3 bags, a duffle bag (used to carry extras the soldier might need at some point), a rucksack (used to carry what the soldier will need at some point), and the 3 day pack. The bag you are refering to is about the size of a large school backpack. You were told correct. Average soldier might carry a few MRE's, a change of socks or 2, some extra ammo, and any other items specific to the mission or soldiers MOS. a rucksack is closer to a BOB than a 3 day pack.

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    @destro thanks for the info so i would need a 3 day pack? Im not sure how much i could carry in my "assault pack" it is military issued, or would i need to get a rucksack as a bob?

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    It probably depends on what your mission is for the bag. Are you wanting what I would call a "refugee type bag", ie not coming back home and living in the woods like a caveman / Red Dawn scenario? Or are you looking for something to keep in the car and lets say get you home comfortable in a day or so from work? It's amazing what little one really needs (climate pending) to walk home and maybe make camp over night comfortably. I guarantee after carrying it for 12 or so hours, you'll think about what you could have left out and what you wished you had brought along. Best advice I've ever been given is experiment, and put your plan into action. Have fun with it, and look at it as a fun, overnight adventure.

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    I was thinking "red dawn" situation if i needed to hide out, but my pack doesn't seem to be big enough to carry a sleep system if needed, that's where I thought a ruck sack would work, so maybe my pack would work if i needed to get home after work, but i will experiment,

jocmurph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    Indy Northside
    I realize that everyone is different, and it always depends on the current situation, but does anyone have a basic list of what I might need for a 3-day bug out bag? Thanks.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    Equipped.org
    Backpackinglight
    SAS survival guide

... There are so many lists out there it will make your head spin. Pick the stuff that you are going to use and buy a durable bag to fit it, not the other way around. You may find yourself just filling space unnecessarily with the latter (I did).

Top Bottom