P320 light primer strikes with Freedom ammo..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    From what I've gathered on the interwebs, Freedom ammo is somewhat infamous for hard primers.

I recently shot some through my P320 for the first time. I had several FTFs, I'm guessing 7-8 in the nearly 200 rounds fired. That's a scary high FTF rate for a piece I expected to be my carry weapon. I also had some Geco running that day, and AFAIR, none of the FTFs were with the Geco, just the Freedom.

The rounds that popped out showed clear indications of firing pin strike, though less than you'd expect to see with a standard spent case.

It's tempting to just swear it off as only the Freedom ammo. But obviously basic risk assessment says you must question the gun's reliability as well. Here's what I know:

1) I've fired hundreds of rounds of other ammo with never a FTF.
    2) After shooting the Freedom a bunch, the trigger got noticeably mushy and far less crisp. It also seemed to get lighter.

Interesting data point: I watched a 'Box to match' Youtube review of the P320 and the shooter (Patrick Kelley) had several FTFs as well. At the beginning of the video, you can see on the tailgate many boxes of Freedom ammo.

He posted a follow up video saying that after giving the P320 a good bath and lube job, he never had anymore FTFs.

Questions:
    1) Would you trust the gun?
    2) What would be acceptable to regain the trust if you didn't trust it?
    3) What's the best way to clean the firing pin channel? I doused it with Brite Bore and that's it.

I love the P320.

Freedom ammo however, does not.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Freedom munitions, per chance? I'm unfamiliar with Freedom Ammo. I've had little satisfaction with Freedom Munitions ammo, myself. Their "new" 9mm ammo hung up two different 9mm XDS models I had. Their reman was problematic as well.

If you've had no issues until this ammo I'd simply eliminate this ammo for a bit and see if the problems go away. No reason to distrust the gun until you've determined the problems indeed stem from the gun and not the ammo.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I've had plenty of reliable pistols that don't like certain types/brands of ammo. It could have just been a bad batch of ammo that you got. I've had that happen with reloaded ammo where the primer isn't fully seated.

It personally doesn't bother me with target/plinking/reloaded ammo if it is isolated. I would be concerned if it happened with carry ammo, however. Since you've had a couple hundred rounds prior without issue, I would assume it was the ammo. Buy a different brand of ammo and see how it shoots. If it runs ok after a hundred rounds, then I'd think you're good to go.

Let us know what ends up happening and best of luck.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Freedom munitions, per chance? I'm unfamiliar with Freedom Ammo. I've had little satisfaction with Freedom Munitions ammo, myself. Their "new" 9mm ammo hung up two different 9mm XDS models I had. Their reman was problematic as well.

If you've had no issues until this ammo I'd simply eliminate this ammo for a bit and see if the problems go away. No reason to distrust the gun until you've determined the problems indeed stem from the gun and not the ammo.

Yes, freedom munitions. Not sure if it was new or reman.

I was a little concerned because the 229 and PPQ ate the stuff with no hiccups. P320 didn't like it.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I personally have not have any issues with freedom munitions over 2-3K. The brass is somewhat hard to re-prime when reloading though not that it's super relevant.

wassup61

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    nwi
    I personally have not have any issues with freedom munitions over 2-3K. The brass is somewhat hard to re-prime when reloading though not that it's super relevant.

Depending on the powder used when reloading, be wary of the IMT/Ammoland brass that Freedom uses. It has a stepped lip from the forming process on the inside of the brass that can cause pressure spikes in low density powders from compressed loading.

Hammertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Mccordsville
    I've sound 1K rounds of Freedom Munitions Factory rounds through my Shield and I've noticed a couple of issues with FTFs but never put two and two together. Interesting, maybe I'll have to consider buying from somewhere else considering I am looking to buy a Sig P320 soon

Last edited:

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    My P320 9mm fullsize is bone stock with 1,300 flawless rounds through it. No reloads, just several different types of factory ammo without a hint of a malfunction.

Hammertime

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2015
    Mccordsville
    My P320 9mm fullsize is bone stock with 1,300 flawless rounds through it. No reloads, just several different types of factory ammo without a hint of a malfunction.

Any experience with Freedom Munitions? They seem to have the best pricing for online purchases which is why I purchase from them mainly.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Any experience with Freedom Munitions? They seem to have the best pricing for online purchases which is why I purchase from them mainly.

No Freedom Munitions, sorry I can't provide any data points there for you.

I'd make sure the striker channel is absolutely clean and dry first. Detail stripping the slide is a piece of cake.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I've never had a problem with freedom munitions. I've only ever bought their reman ammo though. 124gr 9mm shoots perfect through my fully canjunized CZ P-09, I just ordered some .45 and .357 last night, will report back when I get a chance to shoot it.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    No Freedom Munitions, sorry I can't provide any data points there for you.

I'd make sure the striker channel is absolutely clean and dry first. Detail stripping the slide is a piece of cake.
    I've not been able to find instructions for detail strip of p320. Is it like a GLOCK?

milton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    I can't say about the Sig, but I'm about 5-6k rounds through freedom 9mm. I've had no issues through my pistol, which are mostly glocks.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    The first video made me nervous about buying the P320, but the second video helps a bit. Looks like I'll just need to clean it before I carry it.

I can't offer anything for the OP, but before you carry any firearm, you should clean it, inspect it, breaking in if the manufacturer calls for.it, and test it with the carry ammo you plan on carrying. Just buying, cleaning, carrying is not the wisest choice.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    IMO if a gun won't ignite hard primers I don't want it nor would I trust it. I shoot a lot of Tula steel case which is known for harder than normal primers and I have never had a light strike.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    After watching that first video (slide disassembly) I don't think one needs to go any further than removing the backplate and removing the striker assembly and extractor spring, guide rod, and extractor. Blast the slide and stuff that came out of it with solvent, dry everything off and put it back together. I wouldn't tear the striker assembly down unless there's a good reason to (badly fouled, broken spring, etc.).

Let us know how this turns out.

Top Bottom